Topic: Guitar Set-Up

I just finished setting up a guitar for the first time, and it was really a simple thing to do.  I used a cheap Washburn that almost made me give up learning to play, and also made me switch to nylon strings.  A barre cord was impossible on the thing and fifteen minutes on the frets would make your fingers bleed.  It still sounds like a cheap guitar of course, but it plays smoother than the Martins I've tried.  If anyone wants to experiment, I would suggest buying a ten dollar micrometer, then measure twice and cut once.  (especially on the nut).  I'm back to steel strings at last!!

Old age and treachery...

Re: Guitar Set-Up

Good Job!  You are absolutely correct about that measuring twice and cut once.  Although I have always cut less than I wanted and carefully filed the rest of the way to the line.  There very little room for error if you overcut, although you can get shims in various thicknesses at your luthier's.  I know that Ovation for example comes with a .040" shim installed factory which allows easy adjustment if you go to extra light strings, but if you lose the thing, going the other way can be a pain without some shim stock to install.

By the way the local Luthier around here usually charges $75.00 to do what you just accomplished, so you made money on that one!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare