Topic: How do i play this?

I have been looking on youtube at the way people play the coldplay song ' see you soon'. I can't figure out how it's done. I watched Chris Martin and i've watched cover versions where people are playing it in a similar way but i can't seem to get to grips with it. Can anybody help? T hey seem to be using their thumb and then fingers in a strumming way.

Re: How do i play this?

p.s i have never played like this before, ive only ever done ordinary straight strumming or just basic picking.

hopeful wrote:

I have been looking on youtube at the way people play the coldplay song ' see you soon'. I can't figure out how it's done. I watched Chris Martin and i've watched cover versions where people are playing it in a similar way but i can't seem to get to grips with it. Can anybody help? T hey seem to be using their thumb and then fingers in a strumming way.

In learning music from a band who has so much going on as Coldplay does, you're best off to do what you can with the totality of the song and pick little pieces from the rhythym guitar, the hook riffs, the piano, the keyboards, and the general beat of the song, and do your thing with it. I play several Coldplay songs solo and they're deep, well written songs. Although my versions don't sound "just like the record" most people appreciate my efforts. After you learn your Coldplay songs, go back and listen to them closely and compare your interpretation of the tune. Many times I'll use this method and feel satisfied with my version and other times I'll notice something crucial to the song that I've left out. I guess what I'm attempting to say in a long-winded way is do the best you can, play within your abilities, and don't be overly obsessed with imitating exactly the song you're trying to learn. I'll watch the "See You Soon" video and get back to you if I can figure it out.

Give everything but up.

hopeful,
SouthPaw41L hit it dead on.
Also, you'll find numerous songs out there that it may look like only one person is doing everything, but in reality there is a second guitar playing. Take Guns n Roses for instance.
Play what you can, don't try copying what you see one person doing.
I tried whatching James Taylor, on a PBS special, he did an amazing job, but when I tried to copy what I saw him doing it came out worse than when I was just doing it my way.
Maybe even get away from the song that you are trying to learn for a few days and try a different song, it'll give you mind a chance to relax from the song. As in anything, if you consentrate to long on being stuck, then you'll stay stuck, just rest awhile.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...