Topic: How hard is to play rhythm guitar in Beatles' songs?

Hi!

I wonder how hard is it to play rhythm guitar in a band playing Beatles' songs (ti. what John played).

The reason Im asking this is that I dont have any friends who would want to play with me songs by other artists that I listen to (Dylan, Cohen etc.) but there are some that like Beatles, which I also like very much.

Since Im a beginner who only knows how to play open chords its obvious that I wont be able to play the rhythm guitar anytime soon, but Im interested when its 'time', when is someone 'ready'.

Thanks!

Re: How hard is to play rhythm guitar in Beatles' songs?

Hi Leo and welcome to Chordie!

I personally have played rhythm guitar for most of my life... like over thirty years.  Mostly because I never took the time to learn properly the theory part of music.  Scales, Modes etc. Doing that now, much to late to make money at it.
But you will likely find that if you look through Chordie for those Beatles tunes, you are going to find versions that you can play with mostly open chords, even if you have to capo into another key to make it work.  Don't be afraid to try those difficult chords, and learn your barres which are only open chords with your index finger replacing the capo making the chord movable.
Practice a lot and your fingers will learn where to go, do it properly and do it often, and later when you get one of those unusual chords like flatted third augmented fifth add thirteenth you won't wind up tying your fingers in knots.
As to when you are ready?  The sooner the better!  When you play with others you teach and learn from those you are with.  Yeah it is going to take some rehearsals, and you will screw up now and then and have to pick it up again.... usually after we all stop laughing about that wrong chord (what was I thinking there? You sure that wasn't supposed to be G flat Maj 7?).
  Have fun with your music, it just keeps getting easier!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, Doug!

But, I guess John didnt always just strum chords, or did he?

Thanks for the thread smile
I was gonna post one saying pretty much the same thing
But then I found you had beat me to it xD

*Subscribes to topic*

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Hehe, Kerry, thats great - but looks like there arent too many Beatle fans here. sad

Yeah sad

I know someone who is a Beatles fan and she is some form of musical genius and plays guitar so I'll ask her about it when she gets back from holiday.

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Hi Leo and Kerry,

If you go the Public Songbooks and select Absoute beginners then look for "Strum-a-Long" by The Trainer858 you will find 6 of the Beatles songs which are easy to play and should give you a start. You may find more if you look through the other Begginers Songbooks.

All of the Beatles song can be strummed. Even if they were originally played with a difficult strumming pattern you can play it to a simpler one to make it your own variation and let your vocals carry the song.

I hope that helps.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Who's to say what is hard and easy? Everything is easy if you can do it and hard if you can't. I find most Beatles stuff to be some place in the middle. To play most of it fairly well really just requires you to know a lot of chords. When are you ready? I suppose when you can play the songs. Here are a few simple ones to start out with.
Twist and Shout
Hold Me Tight
Can't Buy Me Love
Tell Me Why
Things We Said Today
No Reply
You're Gonna Lose That Girl
Nowhere Man
Tomorrow Never Knows
Sgt Pepper
Magical Mystery Tour
Strawberry Fields
Don't Pass Me By
Come Together
The Entire Let It Be Album

Hope it helps.Some will be harder for you than others, but they will all be easy once you learn to play them.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm