Topic: Proposed Forum Rules . . . please comment

A few basic and published guidelines will help the forum continue to grow and attract members.
Please comment on the following proposed rules:

Chordpro error: The song does not contain chords. Please include at least two chords in brackets within the text, like this: [C7].

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Proposed Forum Rules . . . please comment

Excellent James. I've always thought that the members were civil and that's very important. It's OK to disagree but important to respect everyone's opinion. We may need some clarification on "No obscenity, no foul or degrading language". Obviously, we probably don't want to get into a George Carlin style debate over what words are ok. Just some general guidelines would be good. There are a lot of words that can be construed as foul. I can also be very condescending and mean spirited without using cuss words (though I do love them a bunch).
In summary, I like the way the Moderators and Administrators police this site and guidelines are great but in the end it's up to you folks to make the call and I'm comfortable with that way. Keep up the good work!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi geoaguiar & thanks for your feedback.

These ideas were kicked around among the Moderators prior to being posted here.
We are trying to have a 'short but sweet' set of simple guidelines.

"Common Sense" is the key idea - creating a list of banned words would not be practical.
Rather, it makes more sense to simply ask people to use their best judgement.
If someone's best judgement is lacking - they can be warned or banned.

We have had very few problems on this forum (knock on wood).
Hopefully, a few common sense guidelines will be sufficient.

The list of "Rules" listed above makes "Excellant" use of the "Common Sense" we should all use on this forum. Would it be possible to have EVERYONE have where they are from listed, as well.
Also, would it be possible to have some type of CHAT ROOM for members to sit around and discuss life's issues as they boccur?

Nela

What about songwriting? Do we have to be careful what we write? I understand being courteous
in the forums, but I also believe in freedom of speech! I've read a few songs that have some
very controversial language, but I was never offended by it. And although I think people need
to be respectful and courteous to one another in the forums, I also think that the songwriting
section should be respectful to people's rights to freedom of speech in their songs. That being
said, I also think that remarks made about people's songs should be foul language free. I'm not
opposed to someone stating their opinion about someone's song, but that can and should be
done without the foul language. Just my opinion though!
                                                                            getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

James a set of common sensed rules... I don't think anyone would disagree.
So why is it thought we need them printed out now?
I guess no harm will result if there made a "Sticky" but I'm just curious as to why we need a set of rules at all when Chordie is policed so well now.
Ark

Ark,

They are not really needed as such as 99% of the time everyone is fine and there is no offensive language etc.
It was headcase that brought this up. He was looking for rules of the forum or website as most other sites do. I went looking and seen there were no guidelines so I suggested that we should make them up for anyone that would like to see rules/guidelines. And also if anyone in the future does say anything out of line they can get directed to these to read for themselves.

So it is not something that was urgently needing done in chordie but we thought better to have them than not to.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I would add one thing - Moderating actions are taken at the sole discretion of the moderators and administrators. 

Guests (including members) on the Chordie site must understand that moderating decisions are unilateral on the part of the moderators and administrators.  They MAY, but are not required, to discuss or explain them.   On another site, I had a falling out with a moderator.  He chose to edit or remove all of my posts - controversial or not.  While I didn't like it, I recognized it as his right and just moved on.  I sent a letter through the post to the owner of the site to explain why I was leaving it in case he wanted to get different moderators.  While I thought the actions of that moderator were petty and selfish, I nevertheless recognized it was within his authority and power to act that way. 

Some people view internet forums as places to let their hair down (for those with hair) and cut loose.  I view it more as being in a friend's living room chatting with some friends and some new acquaintances.  While we are welcome, and encouraged to share our views, we must also treat our hosts with the courtesy and respect due a host.  Further, if our host asks us to excuse ourselves for a time, we must also abide by that request.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

getfiddle wrote:

What about songwriting? Do we have to be careful what we write? I understand being courteous
in the forums, but I also believe in freedom of speech! I've read a few songs that have some
very controversial language, but I was never offended by it. And although I think people need
to be respectful and courteous to one another in the forums, I also think that the songwriting
section should be respectful to people's rights to freedom of speech in their songs. That being
said, I also think that remarks made about people's songs should be foul language free. I'm not
opposed to someone stating their opinion about someone's song, but that can and should be
done without the foul language. Just my opinion though!
                                                                            getfiddle

I'm with you on the freedom of speech issue but we still must use tact and refrain from foul langauge in the songwriting forum as well. We're all ages in all sections so we must adhere to the guidelines in songwriting as well. Certain venues I perform at are family oriented, as Chordie is, so I'll try to get clever in replacing a curse word/obscene/controversial content with another familiar sounding word/theme. We're not trying to tell folks what to say or how to say it, but if needed we may have to place the ocassional written bleep on something.

SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

The way I look at it is this:

In speech one's mouth is often working faster then one's brain and we often swear without realising it. Chordie however is a written medium so anything that is posted is thought about and deliberate, not involuntary, and when it comes down to it there are far better descriptive words in the English language than profanities.

We must remember that ladies and small children are regular visiters to the site, it is not an adult, male only, domain. I certainly can swear as well as the next one when out with my mates but in front of my grandchildren, never.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

NELA, Chordie's 'Chat Corner' is the place for any topic that does not fall under the other headings.  There is rarely a dull moment in the Chat Corner.

getfiddle - Songwriting gets no special privileges.  If a lyric includes language that is offensive, those words should be 'bleeped' - - -  ***** or something.  I myself have had to do this on occasion.  In fact, I removed one of my songs after it was brought to my attention that the overall subject was really not suitable for general audiences.

Arkady - I'll second what upyerkilt has stated.  Initially, I was very leery of trying to come up with a list of official rules.  However, after mulling it over I came to the conclusion that it would be best if there was a list "shared expectations" for all forum users.

Zurf - Good point about actions of Moderators and Administrators.  We are ALL guests in this cozy little parlor.  However, the Mod's and Admin's have probably been guests for longer than other users.  I would rather not try to strictly define the roles of Mods and Admins.  Suffice it to say that the Mods and Admins will do what they feel is best for the long-range health of the forum.

Southpaw41L - "Tact" is an important skill.  Person's lacking in it often say and do things they regret.

Roger Guppy - I agree that the written word is more deliberate than spoken language.  Also, the written word doesn't disappear - it stays put.  These rules are not trying to put a damper on anybody's ability to communicate - rather, they simply encourage people to communicate in a polite and friendly manner.

Greetings Everyone,

Roger, I didn't open up a can of worms the other day did I?  But thank you for the kind e-mail.

Rules are good and it is nice to see that for the most part everybody is running on the same moral standard even without a published guide.  It all comes down to "good manners", saying please and thank you, and behaving like you would if you were visiting someone else's home.  I have been reading these forums off and on for a couple of years before I decided to register, and I will say that everybody is very civil.
If Chordie was a model for the UN, the world would surely be in a better state!

Goodonya;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think the rules look just fine James...and Roger summed it up
spot on ...
                  cheers Mark

This seems like a pretty tame forum from what I've seen elsewhere.  Hopefully your rule set is already assumed.  Looks like a good list.

15 (edited by crowellb 2008-07-29 00:00:18)

Your rules are fine with me, James. A request for common courtesy should never be frowned upon.

I should be better about applying the above rules to everything in life...not just in these forums. I don't know how many times I've had to "open mouth-insert foot"! big_smile

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

James - The only thing missing from your rules are some Chords! smile Good job my friend.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

My two cents worth: I agree that profanity has no place in any public forum its to bad there is not a page that would require a password where you could say whatever you pleased and bring up any subject from politics to religion and punctiuate your opinion with any word you chose to say because in real life some situations looking for a "kinder" way to say what you really are thinking dont cut it and to bleep with censorship its bleeping full of bleep.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

James, when I mentioned a "Chat Room" I was talking about a separate "room" where we could go to and visit with other members all at once. It's done of some other site's I visit and gives you the opportunity to actually talk (type) back and forth with other members. Just a thought.

Nela

19 (edited by cameronkl7 2008-07-29 01:12:36)

Hi James,

I agree with the rules, they're short, simple and to the point without being overbearing. I think most anyone should be ok with these rules. I know anywhere or anytime you'll get the one bad apple once in awhile but I think that 99.9% of the people who use this board have been as friendly, helpful and as nice as one could ask for. I also think that you, as well as the other moderater's have done an excellent job of mantaining the boards. In so far as freedom of speech goes, I'm all for that, but anytime you have a public forum where children are reading it, we shouldn't use profanity, at least thats how I feel. I suppose others will disagree, and thats fine, everyone has they're opinion. Just a little common sense is all we need. I think it's great that so many people, from different parts of the world use this board, and get along fine, each giving their ideas, their advice, and showing at least on here, we can all have a common thread among us...music!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

This looks like a fine set of rules, and it is a good idea to have them avalable for future referance.

I can say I've never felt it was needed as the people I've dealt with on Chorde have already been following the spirit of these rules. 

I think a Chat room would be fine,  if it sticks to these rules and is at it's core about Music.  Chat rooms for Politics and other subjects are very readily avalible from numerous other sources, haveing it here would be a distraction not an improvement.  I would prefer to see Chordie stick with what, I feel it does better than anyone else,  Music.

Hi Doug_Smith, If this were the UN we could send peacekeepers armed with guitars and ukuleles.  But it would probably be best to not send any banjos - they tend to stir up trouble!  I can just see infantry platoons of acoustic folkie geezers, lightly armed recon teams of ukulele players, and armored divisions of heavy metal thrashers.

Flatpicker55 - Glad you like the list. You're right - Roger has an insightful mind.

lynxpilot - Yep, this list simply tries to encompass what we have been doing all along.

crowellb - I agree that common courtesy is the basis for good life.

topdown - give me some time and I'll turn our little rules into a singable ditty . . . "Common Sense Waltz" maybe, or "Forum Rules Blues"?

Russell - I had joked in another discussion that we needed a "Y'all Take It Outside" forum area where emotional people could go brawl in the parking lot.

Nela - Now I understand what you were saying . . . an instant message area.  Interesting idea.

cameronkl7 - Yes, the common bond of Music is a wonderful thing. It brings me great personal satisfaction.  However, people who hear me play and sing might disagree.

mixter102 - An instant message area might be fun - don't know how much I would use it, but might be popular with some.  I know nothing of the tech involved - have to forward request to the Mighty Admin. 

Keep the comments (good, bad, & ugly) coming folks, please.   James

dino48 wrote:

Hi james,I think topdowns comment hits the mark{all you need is some chords]. I feel good when I come here as it is like being in a family ,it always seems theres help and encouragement here,no put downs.Kind of like a safety net when you need it. Ido not like foul language and you never see that here.Keep up the good work,and hats off too the administrators.                                                                                                               dino

Green lights,blue skies and pink floyd.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi All,

Nela's idea of a chat-room has merit.... But.  There's always a but in there somewhere, I have noticed that this is a truely international forum.  Sitting out here at something like GMT +8 unless chordians are nocturnal, we'd never get to "chat" with our friends on the other side of the planet.

Guess that's why "The Lord of The Internet" invented E-Mail.

Take Care; Doug

By the way, James McCormick.

If you add to your Batallion a squad each of kazoos and bagpipes supported by a few beginning violinists, you could haul away the opposition in padded vans.
  Although sonic damage to the nervous system might be considered cruel and unusual punishment, requiring a Hague investigation.

(just a joke, not intended to offend any of my Highland Kin)

Take Care;  Doug

25 (edited by getfiddle 2008-07-29 14:27:44)

It's All good! I agree that the artist's should be responsible too and use common sense when
posting their songs. If anybody writes a song with offensive language they should clean it up
before posting it, or if someone wants to read it unaltered, they could send it to them via e-mail.
I personally try not to write offensive language in my songs cause I see no reason to write like
that. There are clever ways to write and get your message across without using offensive
language. I still believe in freedom of speech, but use common sense when posting your songs.
Actually I ran across a song a short while back in the songwriting section called "At The Bottom
Of The Hill" that had the F-word in it, so you might want to look thru there and pull it.
                                                                                                                      getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!