Topic: AMPS + AMPS + AMPS = 3

A returning question popping up in every existing forum about guitars and amps.
What is considered as the best kind of amp, and I don't mean brands.
EXAMPLES
1) TUBE AMPS (like my acoustic Marshall AS100D)
2) VALVESTATE amps or amps without tubes
3) HYBRID AMPS (like a Fender Cybertwin)

I have a cybertwin first generation (the 2nd is not selling well), containing dozens of different amps Fender produced since long, like a Fender Twin Reverb. I compared here at my place the real Twin Reverb with the cyber twin RESULT = NO DIFFERENCE for 8 human ears. They sounded exact the same.
So what is your opinion about these 3 kinds of amps, a VETTA from Line6 included?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: AMPS + AMPS + AMPS = 3

Are solid state amps the same as tube amps ?

henryb wrote:

No, they're completely different.
I found this useful, before I read that I thought that Valve and Tube amplifiers were different types.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar/Buying_an_amplifier

Thanks for the info. I,ll try and remember some of it.

5 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-07-30 09:42:05)

I had an old Fender Twin Reverb. I gave it away. The darn thing sounded great but not until it was so loud it hurt people.
A Super Reverb (4 ten inch speakers) was better.
I loved my Fender Super Six amp (6 tens) until it burned up in a barroom fire.These were all tube amps.                                These days I run my old Gibson thru my 300 watt Peavey P.A. (solid state) with a Korg effects pedal.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

henryb wrote:

No, they are different designs. Many guitarists swear by the tube amps and in most cases I would have to agree with them...but I also believe that tube amps don't really begin to sound best until driven at high volumes. That can be a problem if you have a 100 watt tube amp in your small house or apartment. There are some outstanding low watt tube amps that sound great at household volumes! I have a couple of Peavey Tran Tube amps that have been very reliable and durable and sound great at all volume levels. I also have a Peavey Classic 30 tube amp that sounds muddy at low volume but just absolutely blows you away at higher volumes...really sounds great. Tubatooter mentioned the Fender Twin Reverb...many would argue one of the best sounding amps ever! But not well suited for a living room jam...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Yes Jay, it is a CATASTROPHE if you have a house very close to another and or if you live in an apartment.
If you ask me which amp is my best amp, the answer is my FENDER CYBERTWIN, tubes + digital.
The third Sunday of Juin I have an auto scooter attraction in front of my house. They play that "ELECTRONIC BOOM BOOM BOOM sound, so I opened my window, put headphones on and I opened my Cybertwin s' volume on 7 WITH MY WINDOW open. They stood in front of my window 10 minutes later to ask if I could play not that loud, and since that moment, they lowered their volume too. YOU REALLY BLOW EVERYTHING AWAY. I didn't play for months electric until I9 saw that Duesenberg 49er and bought it. I have a LANEY Bass amp (TUBES) in my living room and the 49er + korg pandora PX4D = FANTASTIC sound. My best amp is my acoustic Marshall (also tubes), but I use it most to play electric resulting in a clean and warm sound. I can even make a list of guitars using that amp. The VALVESTATE, well I doubt really if there is such a difference between these amps versus tube amps.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]