Topic: FAO BOOTLEGGER or anyone who can help

In a reply further down you talked about a guitar with a high action being harder to play but in the long run more beneficial.This might sound stupid(I'm only a beginner) but does a high action mean the strings are higher off the fret board.I played a friends guitar and it was so much easier as it had the strings lower to the frets.I'll carry on with mine if it means I'll be better given time.

Re: FAO BOOTLEGGER or anyone who can help

Yes Dilloss high action means the gap between the strings and the fretboard underneath is higher. A low action setup might appear attractive since you only need hold a string down slightly before playing it but low action can also mean more string buzz. This string buzz might be masked in a fuzzed-up grunge type of playing but if you want to improve you'll want your notes to sing out precisely. It's that sharp ringing quality that makes solos compelling.

Can you add to this bootlegger?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>cytania wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 16&#58;29</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Yes Dilloss high action means the gap between the strings and the fretboard underneath is higher. A low action setup might appear attractive since you only need hold a string down slightly before playing it but low action can also mean more string buzz. This string buzz might be masked in a fuzzed-up grunge type of playing but if you want to improve you'll want your notes to sing out precisely. It's that sharp ringing quality that makes solos compelling.

Can you add to this bootlegger?
</td></tr></table>

Yes, because you asked. (here it comes) My reply was a two part reply, you are correct Dilloss higher actions mean higher gap between the strings and the finger board. The part not mentioned that you will develope hand stregnth because you have to press harder. Which in time when you get a guitar with a much better or adjustible action you will have the hand stregnth for clearer notes. 

Cytania: a lower action only means more string buzz if it was set up incorrectly.  When an action is set up correctly there should be no string buzz on any fret position. An action set up is not only lowering your strings you also straighten or relieve the neck. I set my actions for .009's or .010 gauge strings depending which of my electric guitars I'm playing. My style is classic rock, blues, metal(early years) and every thing in between (no speed metal) so I like low actions for bends and such.  The only cause of string buzz on a properly set up action should be because of incorrect finger placement (fingers either to close or on the fret and or not enough pressure).

Good luck.

Bootleger.

Bootleger guitars.

I also forgot to mention that uneven frets on a correctly set up action will also cause fret buzzing. This is corrected by fret levening and polishing.

Bootleger.

Bootlegger guitars.

Thanks BL, and thanks for the answers to my threads, I got that Brawley HH hardtail I mentioned. The setup was perfect and I was immediately getting all the classic 60s thwak and ring sounds I wanted. In fact I played it so much last night I broke the shop E string on the last particularly spirited session of Johnny B Goode we did.

Restringing with 11s tonight, I'll let you know how it goes...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'