Topic: Ode To Mary-Ellen

I got to bed last night and the first line crept through my skull, I thought I'd write it down when I got up, then realised that it would be gone before morning, so I started writing this at 3.00 AM, and finished it by 3.30 am, it's about my grandmother [Mary-Ellen Williams] who passed on in 1978, in her 80's

Ode To Mary-Ellen

Draw me a smile on the face of a weathered woman
Her hair all dishevelled and grey to the root
Her eyes lost in time having seen many passing
The light slowly fading, alone in her room

Knees that have bent on the stones of employers
Who never once praised how she kept their place clean
Hands that have peeled, cut, cooked and cleaned dishes
Worn to the bone and scarred by the heat

Gone are the tresses the colour so radiant
The promise of youth and the kisses of suitors
Lost in the darkness of time passed in sadness
Snatches of laughter and smiles fade in years

Love was a luxury never afforded
Eight hearty children to feed and to work
A mother should never need to bury her children
Then bury her husband when they have left home

Draw me a smile for the face of a woman
Who's wrinkles are deep now, pain in her bones
As she kneels on the stones of a cold kitchen dampening
Waiting for death she will greet all alone

Draw me a smile for a weathered old lady
Just one sweet smile for a life filled with hurt
One last sweet moment before life light eclipsing
One life extinguished, prepare for rebirth

I'm sorry that it's so depressing, but I thought it worthy of a viewing. Having said that, it does have a hopeful ending.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Ode To Mary-Ellen

Absolutely beautiful writing Phill.Well worth getting up at 3:00 AM to start and finish. I hope your going to be putting this music and posting it.I'm hearing a real nice piano piece,kinda Billy Joelish.
Your Grandmother sounds like she was a wonderful women that put others before her, as a good women does.
She would be proud. smile

Thank You
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

thanks kap, yes she was a wonderful woman, i've been lucky all my life that i've had strong yet vulnerable women around me, my gran, my mother, my god mother-aunty dolly and now my wife-ann, i'll get around to writing about them all eventually [most of my songs are about my wife].

i dont know about putting music to it though, at the moment all my music seems to be coming out sounding the same. composer required apply within

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

They were remarkable woman.

Made of stronger stuff then us i feel. Lots of things came to mind reading this one. The expression " Housemaids Knees"
wooden washing boards. Me Dad once bought me Mam a glass washing board. lol can you imagine giving that as a gift now?
I love this nostalgic way of writing.

"I dont know about putting music to it though," This reminded me of this great song Phil. Another one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-gEtIayWqE

Well done " Mary Ellen" would  im sure be so proud of your respect for her, both as a woman and Grandmother.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Phil, honestly it brought a tear to my eye. Excellent!
I have a deep respect for the greatest generation!! And rightfully named. There is a quote I love from a woman on T.V who was commenting on the unselfishness of that generation and their frame of mind at the time. She was asked about how did they survie such stress etc. she said, ....."we were to busy being brave..."     
I leave it in your capable hands to decide if it needs music or not. Personally I say if it ain't broke.....
Again Excellent phrasing all around I loved it!!
Go Granny!!!!!

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

hi phill this is a lovely ode to your grandmother ,i've just gone over it and used two chords[c][g],you can also use a [f] to break it up a bit,well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi Phil,
Loved your ode to your grannie. Very well written.
Keep it up.
Regards & cheers
Kiwi John

Hey Phill - That was just a great poem. I saw it all in my mind as I read your words. Well done my friend.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

daddycool wrote:

hi phill this is a lovely ode to your grandmother ,i've just gone over it and used two chords[c][g],you can also use a [f] to break it up a bit,well done....stay cool

In the first, third and fifth verses I went [D], [A][D], [D], [A][D] and the second, fourth [G][D], [A][D][D7], [G][D], [A][D] and the sixth the same except the last line is [A][G][D]. I can see how the [C][G][F] would work too though.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C