Topic: Acoustic v. AcousticElectric

Hey gang,

This may be a
I was hoping some of the veterans could share their insight.  I am thinking about my next guitar purchase (currently have an acoustic) and was wondering what are the pros / cons of the selecting another acoustic over an acousticelectric?  I notice that the acousticelectrics are usually a cut-out body type.  One of my main questions is does an acoustic electric sound good even if it isn't plugged in?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated in helping me make my decision.

Thanks much,

P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

Re: Acoustic v. AcousticElectric

I have a Martin HD-28, and it sounds fantastic unplugged. I use a soundhole pickup on occasion when I play away from home and need amplification, but it generally sounds better without amplification. I believe that acoustic electrics sound better plugged in than they do unplugged, and I think that because of their thinner body they do not have the volume nor tonal properties that a dreadnought guitar has.  So, you do compromise a bit with an acoustic electric.  You can play it unplugged, but an acoustic electric sounds better plugged in, generally, than unplugged.  But these are just generalizations and some acoustic electrics are obviously better than others.

I have a Takimine Jumbo Acoustic / Electric and it has a fantastic sound with or without the amp. The purpose of an acoustic / electric to to get more volume and project your sound better. There are a few ways to get that sound from a regular acoustic guitar such as a sound hole pick-up, playing thru a mike or having a pick-up(s) installed in your guitar. If you decide to play your guitar thru a mike its better to do this while sitting down as this set-up does not allow for much movement on your part. The heart of an acoustic / electric is the amp (and the settings) you play thru. A regular electric guitar amp will work but a acoustic or keyboard amp will really bring out the acoustic sound better. One drawback with an acoustic / electric guitar is feed-back thru the amp. The cure is a sound hole plug. (It really works). If you decide to purchase an acoustic / electric just remember that the quality of sound will be much improved by the right type amp and this will add to the cost of your set-up.

nela

I have a Yamaha elecro-acoustic and it sounds great unplugged. It also has a built-in tuner, which is a fantastic idea.  I do lose a bit of volume because of the slimmer body shape but it sounds nice. Amplified sound will depend on the amp, as NELA says.

Go on, buy it, you know you want to...

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I have a Washburn D12 cutaway Acoustic-Electric.  It sounds great unplugged, and has plenty of volume, as it is not the slimer body style.  My nephew has an Ibenez classical AE that sounds good and is as loud as any other nylon string guitars I've played. It has a built in tuner as well.

If you think you will ever need to play plugged in,  it is easier to have a guitar ready to go, than to convert one later.  There are many different brands and styles out there, not all will have thiner bodies, or cutaways.   As is often said here on chordie, Its best to try as many as you can and get the one you like the most.

I agree with all the above. If your budget allows, get the A/E model. You never know when you may want to plug in. I've never noticed a difference because of a pick up. I'm pretty certian there isn't one.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

7 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-08-20 20:07:33)

Electronics have no effect on the guitars tone! Of course if you go with a thin body acoustic/electric then the tone will be affected. Whether or not cut aways affect tone is a much debated question among the pro's. IMO it does affect the tone slightly but not enough to worry over and the slight diffrence won't even be noticed by most listners. The access to the fretboard is a welcome and more than fair trade off...IMO I say go full bodied cutaway acoustic/electric with a solid top and quality electronics and you won't be disappointed! Just my .02! -Pix

If your not worried about a cutaway then I say install a K & K western pick up in the washburn and play away!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have a hohner accustic/electric and it sound good plugged in but miked it really sound great all my accustic tracks are micked and with the new alixir strings it has a full sound,I was useing silk n steel but I will never switch back these strings really resonate well with my accustic and if the need arises for volume I can always plug in in my amp smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

JimBusch wrote:

I have a Martin HD-28, and it sounds fantastic unplugged. I use a soundhole pickup on occasion when I play away from home and need amplification, but it generally sounds better without amplification. I believe that acoustic electrics sound better plugged in than they do unplugged, and I think that because of their thinner body they do not have the volume nor tonal properties that a dreadnought guitar has.  So, you do compromise a bit with an acoustic electric.  You can play it unplugged, but an acoustic electric sounds better plugged in, generally, than unplugged.  But these are just generalizations and some acoustic electrics are obviously better than others.

I agree with JimBusch...I have a Martin 16GTE which sounds great but has very little volume in comparison to the full bodied Acoustic guitars. Many of the acoustic/electrics are thinner bodied and cutaway which makes them (for me) easier to play standing and usually sound really great when plugged in.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

To All,
Thanks so much for all of your advice and insight.  It has given me much to think about.  Given that I have been at this "guitar thing"  for less than 1 year, and I can't foresee a definite need for plugging in.  I have made the decision to go with an acoustic as opposed to an acousticelectric.

If I do need to plug in - there seem to quite a few alternatives, if and when the time comes.

As always, thanks again for helping me make my decision.

Cheers,
P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW