Topic: Capo & Tuning?!?!

This may sound like a very silly question, but please keep in mind, i'm still relatively new to this whole guitar thing (even though in my mind I am the rock star tongue), when you use a Capo, do you then re-tune your guitar?

The song i'm playing around with is There is a light that never goes out by The Smiths, and it says Capo on the 4th Fret, so i'm guessing, I count down 4, put it on and then I play and sound awful (which means i'm doing something wrong!) or I re-tune?

Your help is appreciated!! smile

Re: Capo & Tuning?!?!

Hi Kirria,

No question is ever silly. In fact if you do not know something it is silly not to ask.

You do not re-tune your guitar when you use the capo. The capo is used to change the pitch of the guitar so if the chord shape C is played with the capo on the 4th fret you are actually playing an E.

Some songs need to be played with certain chord shapes to sound right and the capo can be be used to be able to alter the key to suit the singing voice but retain the the tone of the open chords.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

One other thing you could bear in mind is how you attach the capo. It is very easy to twist or stretch strings out of tune if you are slap dash about it. This is particularly the case with the low/bass E string.  Make sure the rubber of the capo is touching all the strings before you tighten it up - carefully.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Good answers from all...

No, you shouldn't have to retune...make sure the guitar is properly tuned before putting on the capo...then make sure the capo is properly in place and then if the guitar is out of tune then the set-up and/or intonation of might need to be checked. See if you can have someone more experienced help you or take it by a music store and check it out...  A capo is a great tool and sometimes a little bit confusing at first...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thank you everyone for your answers, you've inspired me to ask my other silly question, which i'll put in another post! You guys are great! smile