Topic: YES THE DOC IS BACK: Cover songs better than the original song

I put a lot of time on this topic. IT IS A TRICKY, STINKY TOPIC
There are a lot of songs who are known as being a huge hit for a band, that you are 100%  Convinced that THAT band wrote the song.
2) That you are surprised that THAT band is the original band and not the HIT band.

There are some nice examples. I will write it in Q & A
1) Q = WHO WROTE "Wild Thing?" A = Almost everybody will answer THE TROGGS.
2) Q = WHO WROTE "Black Magic Woman"?  A = Santana
3) Q = WHO WROTE "White Rabbit" A = Jefferson Airplane.
4) Q = WHO WROTE "Oye Como Va" A = Santana
5) Q = WHO WROTE "Blueberry Hill" A = Fats Domino
And the best is yet to come.
6) Q = WHO WROTE "Rock Around the Clock" A = Bill Haley and The Comets.
7) Q = WHO WROTE "CROSSROADS" A = Clapton of course!!

ALL WRONG MY FRIENDS None of these are "The Original band".
1) Author & performer = CHIP TAYLOR.
2) Author & Performer = FLEETWOOD MAC
3) Author & Performer = GREAT SOCIETY
4) Author & Performer = TITO PUENTE
5) Author & Performer = GENE AUTRY
6) Author & Performer = SUNNY DAE & HIS KNIGHTS
7) Author & Performer = ROBERT JOHNSON but titled "Cross Roads Blues"
AMAZING ISN'T IT? I am working on this one already a few weeks, and I believe it is a SURPRISE to see the ORIGINAL PERFORMER.
I have more of this, saved in WORD, but PLEASE ADD SOME OF THIS AMAZING STUFF TOO.

You will know at least a lot of others like ME AND BOBBY MC GEE Janis Joplin while most of us know that it is written by KRIS KRISTOFFERSON those are the easy ones.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: YES THE DOC IS BACK: Cover songs better than the original song

A BIG SURPRISE: the song WILD HORSES by the STONES is written and performed by THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS listen to their version on YOUTUBE, real great.
There is still a discussion but GRAM PARSONS preferred to hang out with Mick and Keith. The song is also credited to Mick & Keith but in fact it should be written by Parsons who was at that time still a member of the BURRITO brothers.
THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT ITEM. As told I put tons of time in it. IF I'M WRONG DON'T SHOOT ME PLEASE.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Every song I play is better than the original.  Can you believe all those notes those guys use?  It's like a barrage.  Much better to do with simple strumming patterns a monkey could do, don't you think?

Remember Kris Kristofferson's song: "Let's All Get Together And Steal Each Others Songs". 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well ZURF in fact THAT IS THE SPIRIT OF A REAL MUSICIAN. And I mean it.
When I play a cover, I try to do it 100% my way = trying to get a better song than the song I cover.

My favorite cover song story:
"Get Togehter" made famous by Jesse Colin Young and the Youngbloods.
This song is a 60's classic about Love and other Groovy Stuff.  It was written by Dino Valenti - but he never made any money on this smash hit. 

Valenti sold the copyright for this song (and others) in order to raise money to pay an attorney to defend against a drug arrest.  He was convicted and spent time in prison.  Here is a Wikipedia article about Valenti - he was a part of the San Francisco music scene and a founding member of Quicksilver Messenger Service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino_Valenti

Zurf - I agree . . . all my cover versions of songs are stripped down to the bare necessities.  No extra chrome and flashy paint jobs.  Just pure essence!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I will always love One by Johnny Cash  {although he`s a pretty safe bet off any Of the American recordings}

You can`t wind me up , I`m electric.

Umm I think Wild Horses was written by Mick Jagger, he wrote it about Marianne Faithful when he was in Australia making the film Ned Kelly ...

Oh I just thought of one, First Cut is the Deepest written by Cat Stevens but Rod Stewart made the song famous! smile

Mr bogangles done by many artists,and I am 99% sure jerry jeff walker wrote it. Blue suade shoes by elvis and other songs written by Carl Perkins. Hey doc you have my vote if they ever choose a Music historian here.            dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

nat king cole - When i Fall in Love

put profound words here

SRV's Little Wing is pretty much just as good if not better than Hendrix's.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

"Respect" by Aretha Franklin is a cover, It was written and recorded first by Otis Redding.

"Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix is also a cover, It was first preformed by a band called The Leaves"

jimi hendrix - all along the watchtower

peter, paul & mary - blowin in the wind

arrested development - everyday people

put profound words here

The only improvement on a Beatles song ever was Cocky Joe's version of With A Little Help From MyFriends. The cat is now firmly amongst the pigeons.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.