Topic: New Orleans

Anyone down there who's having to move - we're thinking of you !

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Re: New Orleans

Indeed,

Hows things today James. Still battoning down the hatches ? are ya!

Be safe all you People around that area. Gosh my son and his girl are heading that way next week.
Well to Mexico! Geographically i havent a clue! Maybe someone will enlighten me here. Its there is it?

Best get there insurance in order.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I live in Mississippi about 4 hours in from the coast.  We had been expecting remnants of the storm to come this way - however, it seems that the storm's path will take it across southwestern Louisiana instead.

I am relieved but also sad for all the communities in its path.  It will be slamming into and churning through the heart of Cajun country - home of all that wonderful chanky-chank music.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hold onto yer hats folks !! Reminds me of an old song
  "Mississippi Heavy Water Blues" ( Barbeque Bob ) ... cool name  lol  from ... 1920's

Track The Hurricane.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr … ml#a_topad

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Prayers going out to all in harm's way...

Especially with another brewing out there in the Caribe!

Best Wishes for all, and we're pulling for ya!

Be Safe;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Well, I am glad it was mpt as bad as they first thought it would be.
But I got to  say something here about this.

We in the UK get a lot, an awful lot of all the stuff that happens in the USA ( I would rather see more UK news instead but never mind about that, i got a point to make here)

Before the hurricane struck the coast the news and american news teams were going on about how bad it was going to be for the area etc, and maybe quite rightly so, BUT before they went on and on about people getting evacuated I tihnk the headline news should not have been focussing on America and what if it goes this way, what if it doesnt calm down etc. The news kept saying how it had passed through the carribean and heading for the south coast.
Well why did they not report about the destruction and death it caused in the carribean? I heard late last night a little bit about it but went back onto how bad it could have been.

I do not understand why we in the UK are so focused on america. I would rather have heard the news about this hurricane as it went. We should have heard about the carribean getting ripped up before we heard anything about how america are going to cope.
then when it actually hit america then we should have heard how it was. We had days of the big run up all about new orleans.
I just think the news is very wrong sometimes.

But like I said, I am glad it was not as bad as they thought and I only really feel sorry for the folk in the carribean at this time. Some died in New orleans I think, but they had the chance to leave. And I also heard that 4 people that died, died when a tree fell on top of their car??????? WHAT? driving in a hurricane??????? MAD!!!!!!!

This is a crazy mixed up world that should sit down and think about what should be reported. All events in america or the more important life taking events that happened yet failed to be reported until 24 hours later.

Ok, I got to stop here, my wife says it sounds like I am typing a book.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Excellent point, Ken.

TV news is actually more show biz than anything else . . . especially since the advent of 24-hour TV news channels.  The talking heads on TV feel the need to sensationalize every topic they choose to cover - plus they typically choose to cover only events where they have video to show.

I believe all the storm's mayhem as it passes through the Caribbean islands is downplayed simply because they don't have an English-speaking "news team" there to capture the images.

If you want real information, turn off the insipid idiots on the TV news.  There are far better sources of reliable and timely information.

There . . . I feel much better now!   James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi Guys,
I'm from New Orleans, LA.  and for the second time in three years I have evacuated north to Little Rock, Arkansas fleeing from a hurricane.  I'm headed home tomorrow but each time I have to do this its a little harder to go back home.  It's hard to lock your door and not know if your house will be there when you get back, even harder to tell your neighbors and friends good bye and not know if you'll ever see them again.

The news loves the sensationalism of a hurricane.  They focus on New Orleans because it is the most vulnerable city in the states when it comes to these storms.  Katrina was great TV for these idiots (thanks in a large part to the idiocy of some of our residents), it seems that to some Gustov was a dissapointment.  My wife and I watched in disbelief as one news story focused on some storm chaser who was dissapointed because he had come down from Canada to see the hurricane and it was not as strong as they predicted it would be.  This is someone who claims to love nature but in reality has no respect for it.

We hear that damage is slight this time around so we're headed back but the fact remains if the storm had come in as strong as it was predicted to be and had not veered there would probably be nothing to go back to.  Not trying to be melodramatic, just giving you the perspective of someone who has to live with it.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
Jim

Glad to hear you still have your house edgefan.
And My appologies if I sounded like a thoughtles careless son of a tomato lol Im not really, I just got fed up hearing everything about this hurricane and america instead of other places it had visited.

But, my next question directly to you edgefan.

This area on the planet you live is well known for its hurricanes and tornados, why stay in such a place?
I know it would mean leaving friends, neighbours and even family but surely life comes first? Not just living life as in breathing and good health, but living in harmony without having to evacuate once a year, possibly more.

I think if I lived in such an area I would be moving north.
It might be easy for me to say as the worst weather we get is a few inch of snow or a downpour for an inch or so, the odd flood on the road.

As for these stormchasers. I kinda like this idea. I would love to do it but with someone that is sensible ( if there is ever such a thing as a sensible storm chaser). I love electrical storms and I am sometimes jealous that the best ones are in america.
Also tornados, I really would love to see a real big massive one ( with a very handy banker with storm proof door to jump in when it gets closer.)
But I never underestimate the weather and the force it has, this is what makes it so fascinating. it is pure nature power.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Glad to hear you don't expect much damage Jim! Looks like Hannah's coming for us... If all stays as predicted the eye will make landfall right on top of me. I stay only about 30 miles inland right next to the NC/SC border, so lets hope it turns and heads out to sea. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

12 (edited by NELA 2008-09-03 21:48:47)

The reason there was so my focus on the hurricane by the media is that it is a MONEY MAKER for them. News sells. It does not make any difference if it's good news or bad news. There's money to be made. 

I guess I musta been watching a different channel from most folks as I kept track of the hurricane for several days as it progressed towards the New Orleans area. I saw the damage being reported that it was causing to both property and lives while it moved through those areas. I would imagine that since it was in OUR backyard it got the most attention. Not only that but with all the mistakes made with kATRINA  by our (and I am a Louisiana resident) state goverment, federal goverment, the city of New Orleans public officials, residents of New Orleans and others, the media just had to be there to see who they could catch stepping on their tallywacker. I'm 57 years old and these kinda hurricanes, Katrina, Rita and Gustav are just not a common occurance. With the Katrina and Rita, one - two punch the entire southern coast line from Mississippi to Southeast Texas just got hammered and no one was prepared for it. But it was news and that made the media money.

New Orleans, Louisiana. We lost a culture. We lost a people. We lost a city like no other. New Orleans will never be the same, not in several life times. Not only New Orleans but the entire coast line will never be the same!

Nela

upyerkilt wrote:

Glad to hear you still have your house edgefan.
And My appologies if I sounded like a thoughtles careless son of a tomato lol Im not really, I just got fed up hearing everything about this hurricane and america instead of other places it had visited.

But, my next question directly to you edgefan.

This area on the planet you live is well known for its hurricanes and tornados, why stay in such a place?
I know it would mean leaving friends, neighbours and even family but surely life comes first? Not just living life as in breathing and good health, but living in harmony without having to evacuate once a year, possibly more.

I think if I lived in such an area I would be moving north.
It might be easy for me to say as the worst weather we get is a few inch of snow or a downpour for an inch or so, the odd flood on the road.

As for these stormchasers. I kinda like this idea. I would love to do it but with someone that is sensible ( if there is ever such a thing as a sensible storm chaser). I love electrical storms and I am sometimes jealous that the best ones are in america.
Also tornados, I really would love to see a real big massive one ( with a very handy banker with storm proof door to jump in when it gets closer.)
But I never underestimate the weather and the force it has, this is what makes it so fascinating. it is pure nature power.

Ken

Hi Ken,
No offense taken.  You hit upon an issue that we are grappling with right now.  The only answer that I can give is that New Orleans gets in your blood.  It's more than just a place to live, it's culture and people are like nothing or nobody else that you'll find in the states.  It almost needs to be experienced to know what I'm talking about.  But your question is a valid one.  Right now my wife and I are young enought to physically handle this but we can't imagine being elderly and having to deal with the stress and fatigue of having to do this. 

Good luck with Hanna Guitarpix.  I hope it turns out to be a minimal storm.
Jim