Topic: HELP

my bridge on my strat goes really high up when i try to tune it, but it wont tune and i see it go up really fast. it was like that all of a sudden.us i dont use a whammy bar.us How do i fix this?

Re: HELP

The springs in the back of the bridge should be tightened down.  Remove the plastic cover in the back to do this.   A lot of folks fon't really don't care for the tremelo anyway . . . so they just put a piece of wood in the back to prevent the tremelo bridge from moving . . .

the Strat tremelo bridges are a ballanceing act.  They may need to be reset when you change strings, they will definatly need to be reset if you change string gauges.  Royce has it right, tighten the screws that hold your strings so that the bridge is flat, when it's in tune.  The heavier the strings gauges are, the tighter your springs will need to be.

thanks but im still wondering how it happened within a few minutes

Sometimes a major change can occur in seconds kind of like a fan one second its turning the next frozen up, the screws to your springs may have been loosening up all along and its like the straw that broke the camels back theory one two many straws, another possibility is your neck there are 4 screws that attatch this neck to the body check to see if there tight and there is a truss rod running the length of your neck it may have some affect in all of this but I think the likely culprit is the spring tension good luck smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Good information from all... I would suggest removing all of the strings and then as mentioned, check to see that the neck is bolted securely (don't overdo it) ... remove the plastic cover from the back and see how many springs are in the bridge...usually three and check their condition.  Check the bridge screws to make sure they are not loose or holes wallowed out...put strings on and tune to pitch... and as mentioned, the bridge should sit flat against the body when tuned. If not then you can tighten the screws or maybe add another spring or replace those that have stretched or become weak. Also mentioned is the option of blocking the  bridge...this is especially good if you do a lot of alternate tunings and don't intend to use the tremelo...  hopefully this will help... nothing more aggravating that to try to play a guitar that keeps shifting tuning....

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.