Topic: CHROME BY GOOGLE

Has anyone downloaded the new browser from google yet? im concidering it but I would like to get some feedback from anyone who's already using it before I take the plunge smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: CHROME BY GOOGLE

Hey Russell,

I've been trying out Chrome for a couple of days now. So far, what I can say is that it's a very lightweight browser and web pages seem to load up quite fast compared to others (IE, Firefox).

The best feature is probably the address bar which also doubles as a search tool (using Google). It makes surfing the web more efficient because you don't have to go back to a search engine every time you want to go somewhere new. You'll notice the lack of a menu bar and that the available features aren't very extensive.So, if you're more into nice plugins and add-ons I would recommend Firefox 3 instead. But if you want a simple browser that works fast and effectively, it could be a good choice.

That said, they still have a long way to go to make it really appealing. First of all, they should really integrate all the other Google tools (Google desktop, Google Maps, etc...) into the browser and give more personalisation options (at least for the look of the browser). I also noticed a few bugs, mainly related to AJAX enabled sites, but nothing too drastic. There are also a few developer tools for programmers (such as myself) but nothing close to what you can find for Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox. Hopefully, they'll improve Chrome a lot in the next few versions after they've let users fool around with it a bit and have given feedback.

Anyway, bottom line is Mozilla Firefox is still the best (especially 3.0), Chrome isn't bad at all (for a first version anyway), and IE is still terrible =/.

You should give it a whirl. It's a small download and worth a shot.

J.

Thanks does chrome still have the google bar spell check? I would be lost without it lol seriously its the best feature smile

mrjay wrote:

Hey Russell,

I've been trying out Chrome for a couple of days now. So far, what I can say is that it's a very lightweight browser and web pages seem to load up quite fast compared to others (IE, Firefox).

The best feature is probably the address bar which also doubles as a search tool (using Google). It makes surfing the web more efficient because you don't have to go back to a search engine every time you want to go somewhere new. You'll notice the lack of a menu bar and that the available features aren't very extensive.So, if you're more into nice plugins and add-ons I would recommend Firefox 3 instead. But if you want a simple browser that works fast and effectively, it could be a good choice.

That said, they still have a long way to go to make it really appealing. First of all, they should really integrate all the other Google tools (Google desktop, Google Maps, etc...) into the browser and give more personalisation options (at least for the look of the browser). I also noticed a few bugs, mainly related to AJAX enabled sites, but nothing too drastic. There are also a few developer tools for programmers (such as myself) but nothing close to what you can find for Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox. Hopefully, they'll improve Chrome a lot in the next few versions after they've let users fool around with it a bit and have given feedback.

Anyway, bottom line is Mozilla Firefox is still the best (especially 3.0), Chrome isn't bad at all (for a first version anyway), and IE is still terrible =/.

You should give it a whirl. It's a small download and worth a shot.

J.

I've been using it for a couple of days, and thoroughly love it.  It's still a beta, but I like it better than FireFox and IE.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Looks like i will give it a shot I just wonder if you decided later that you dont like it can it be reversed or are you stuck with it smile

When it asks if you want chrome to be your default browser click no....then you can just chrome whenever you want....but you can use different browsers at the same time...and it does have a uninstall with it

7 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-09-05 04:10:24)

Thanks I will give it a shot tommorow the recording session at traxx 52 went 3hrs and I will edit the video I shot and upload the wav song I may have to convert it to mp3 because not all pc's can play that format and the recording session went great. russell

Russell_Harding wrote:

Looks like i will give it a shot I just wonder if you decided later that you dont like it can it be reversed or are you stuck with it smile

It's a google product, and those guys do everything right.  It will uninstall just as easily as it installed.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Jerome for the reassurance theres so many things on the net these days you have to be careful with what you download smile

jerome.oneil wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

It's a google product, and those guys do everything right.  It will uninstall just as easily as it installed.