Topic: Strings acoustic guitar

What strings do you use and why?

Learning to play guitar is hard, giving up is near impossible!

Re: Strings acoustic guitar

I've used medium gauge since i started playing in May this year. But i had my guitar re-strung recently, & thought i'd try out some lightweight strings to see if they'd help me get those rotten barre chords! They do seem to help quite a bit!  I have caught my thumb a few times on the high E strings & ended up with something like a papercut, because the string is so thin. Cheesewire comes to mind... lol

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

I,m well pleased with Adagio premium strings from ebay.

Elixir Lights and Mediums for the acoustics

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Elixir.... good quality and long life, worth the extra money in the long run.  Use them on my Acoustic and Electric and I'm pretty satisfied with the sound and performance.

This next change out on my Ovation will be to D'Addario Bluegrass Phosphor Bronze light top/medium bottom, because I don't think that the thinner body of the Acoustic/Electric resonates enough Bass for some kinds of music.  Plugged in it's not an issue to boost with the onboard pre-amp, but unplugged it could use a bit more bottom.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Switching to Elixir lights nanoweb soon.  I had a set given to me and they were very nice.  When I next purchased, I went back to my less expensive (initially) favorite D'Addorio Silk and Steel, but they have worn out so quickly that I will return to the Elixir Light Nanowebs because while more expensive initially their longer life makes them less expensive in the long run.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I was using martin silk n steel for over 10 yrs and I just tried a set of elixir lights so far the tone has not diminished noticeably I like the sound and feel of the silk n steel better but they do wear out quicker but i haven't given up on them I may flip flop between the elixirs and silk n steel just for variety smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I put elixir's on the last time I changed and have been impressed with the long lasting tone. My only beef is that the 6th string sounds a lot duller than the rest (even straight after fitting). Did I get a bad set or is this normal?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

On my acoustic guitars I use 2 different types;

1) When playing my acoustic/electric with an active pick-up I use D'Addario Nickle Jazz strings(.12-.52). The pick-up and electronics have more relevance on the sound and tone. Therefore I like the nickle strings mainly because they do not lose sound quality as the life of the string takes it course. The sound almost exactly the same when I first put them as they do just before they break/ or need to be replaced.

2) When playing my acoustics that require a mic in front of the guitar, I use Elixir Polywebs 80/20 bronze custom lights (.11-.52) There is a noticable difference with these strings vs nickle, bronze, or phosphur bronze strings. The life of these strings too are far greater than most other strings I've used through the years. They are well worth the extra money...........

Give everything but up.

alvee33 wrote:

I put elixir's on the last time I changed and have been impressed with the long lasting tone. My only beef is that the 6th string sounds a lot duller than the rest (even straight after fitting). Did I get a bad set or is this normal?

Alvee,
  Give a good close look at the string to guitar contact spots at the bridge and on the nut. A little pencil lead applied will create a smoother gliding surface and enable the strings to fit nicely in the grooves on the bridge and on the nut. This might do the trick???

Give everything but up.

I've used Elixir Nano's for a while now and decided to try something different ... I went with Cleartone Extra Light Acoustics .10-.47 and they sound very very nice ... they have thinner coatings on the strings then the Elixir's have which I like a little better ... a little pricey at $17 a pop

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I used ernie ball regular slinky 10ga. on my Strat and S&P acoustic. I like the feel and they last a good while before I need to change them. And they are fairly cheap in the U.S. I get them at guitar center for less than 5 bucks, and cheaper if you buy more that 1 set.

13 (edited by alvee33 2008-09-10 10:57:18)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Alvee,
  Give a good close look at the string to guitar contact spots at the bridge and on the nut. A little pencil lead applied will create a smoother gliding surface and enable the strings to fit nicely in the grooves on the bridge and on the nut. This might do the trick???

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

Just tried it and it sounds much better. Cheers Tony!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thanks one and all! your input in this thread is very interesting and I like the pencil lead idea. I am on Slinky lights on my Babicz &
Martin phos/bronze lights on my seagull.
I tried Elixir nano's for a while but found them a bit dull. I buy strings on line from stringthis.com saves bucks.

Learning to play guitar is hard, giving up is near impossible!

I'll be the voice of disent here--could never get used to the coated strings...can't stand 'em.  I also know people who keep them on way past their lifespan because they paid so much for them.
I love DR's.  They have a string they call "zebra" made for accoustic-electrics that I think is a fantastic product.  Can't beat it for $7-8 bucks.

16 (edited by Caracena 2008-09-11 03:47:05)

I used to use Elixir, but I've switched to using D'addario EXP.  I think they have a better, fuller sound - no low end drop off, if you know what I mean.  I tried the DR's that 25Frankster refers to in this thread.  I thought they sounded pretty nice, but I really had trouble with the shape.  Yeah, I know that sounds wierd, but they really seemed to "roll" a lot.  Bending was very clumsy and hard to control.  They're too round.  I didn't like 'em.  But, hey; that's why there's so many different strings out there.  If we all liked the same strings, we'd probably all own the same guitar, too; and what fun would that be!

I confess to not changing my strings as often as I should.  I mean I just restrung about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and really I'd like to replace them again.  I'll have to wait a couple more weeks though.  They're only 12 bucks or so, but...you know, 12 bucks is 12 bucks.

Before the days of coated strings (aging myself, here) I used to use a Guild phospher bronze on my acoustic.  I think the coated strings are a little easier on the fingertips!

Great topic,
Thanks for reading,
Kurt

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Question for SouthPaw41L:

Re: your suggestion on the pencil lead.

Do you mean to apply the pencil lead to the fret itself?  Not to the string, right?

Thanks,
Caracena

Caracena

I also use the D addarios an exellent string for a good price,I also like too use the Elixers but the get a little pricy for my budget.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Caracena wrote:

Question for SouthPaw41L:

Re: your suggestion on the pencil lead.

Do you mean to apply the pencil lead to the fret itself?  Not to the string, right?

Thanks,
Caracena

Not on the string, nor on the fret. Apply the lead on the bridge, or saddle(body) and the nut(neck) underneath where the strings rest.

See below;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar#Gui … components

Give everything but up.

20 (edited by Caracena 2008-09-11 05:24:22)

SouthPaw41L

I suppose if I would have read the original suggestion more carefully, I would've figured that out.  I'm square on the terminology for the various parts of the guitar, but the Wiki link is interesting nonetheless.  I do not currently have any issues with buzz, shortened sustain, or dull sounding strings, but I'll try your suggestion just to check it out.  It makes sense that the graphite would make for a smoother, more friendly surface for the string to rest upon.  Seems like a good idea!  I'll let you know....

Caracena

P.S.
How do you do the quotes in the box like that - that's cool and leaves very easy reference as to which posting you're addressing.

Caracena

Hi Caracena, Welcome to chordie

if you look at the bottom left hand corner of the post you wish to address the word 'quote' is displayed in blue.  Click on the word and it brings up the post in a box for you to add your post.  You can also edit parts of the quote to keep it more relevant.

Y'all have a nice day cool

I'm the son of rage and love