Topic: P A systems

Looking for advice on PA s, for playing at small type venues  ,like village hall size. Whats the pros and cons. Hope I,ve put this in the right place.

Re: P A systems

Hello HenryB,

First off for those here on the "colonial" side of the "pond", how big is a village hall? Also are you a lone performer, or do you have a group that you need to support?

Generally if there is a moderate sized venue and (I'm thinking local Pub here ) it is filled to about 75% of it's occupancy (because bodies suck up sound like a sponge), you could likely get by nicely with your instrument amp's 2X10 or 2X12 speakers for instruments, and in the 160-200 Watt range some kind of powered mixer for vocals and acoustics.  Couple that all to at least a pair of fair sized 2 way cabinets, and you should be in the ball park.  Larger venues will of course need more of everything just to ensure that those in the back can appreciate your efforts without killing the folks in the front rows!

Most larger Venues that host live entertainment will likely have some sort of in house PA system that you can feed into.  So do your homework and ask when you book your gig... one could sink a small fortune into power amps and speaker cabs, cables and equipment, just to haul it around and find most of what you need is already in place.

Genre of music will also have some bearing on what you can get away with... Example:  Heavy Death Metal is supposed to be painful!  Double up on everything! If nobody's ears are bleeding when you are finished with a set.... you didn't play loud enough!
(feeble attempt at humour there)

I'm sure there are others here who could better advise you with a bit more information about what you want to do.

Have fun with your music.... it just keeps getting better!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

G'day!  I recently got a Behringer power amp with 10 channels, 100 presets and two
12 inch speakers with stands.  All for  about  the price of an amp.  I get great sound, separation
and as much or little volume as I want.  Get a power amp with several channels, friends can plug in also and you can have more than one mic.  Check out the Behringer gear. Good luck...

Thanks both , we are a group of disabled players ie ,two guitars, bass, two fiddles and drums and three female singers in the line-up. Music is M o R, easy listening stuff. Sometimes our ears bleed  lol.

Greetings again Henryb,

Being of a curious sort I Googled Lhanbryde.... just East of Elgin then?   I see from the Community Website that the Community Centre is a sizeable venue indeed, and lapslide guy has got you on the track with his recommendations.  Those open halls would lend well to a rig similar to what he prescribes, especially if there is a slightly elevated stage area from which to project your music above the audience.

I too would recommend Behringer as a source of equipment as they are of good quality for reasonable cost.  I am using a Powered Mixer of theirs with five speaker cabinets (one is dedicated 15" bass) with 12"-8"-6"-2.5"horn in each for microphones.
Behringer 212 guitar amp, Behringer 110 + 4X12 Cab, & Fender Frontman...  ample for just about anything we're likely to do.

Good Luck and Enjoy...

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks for info , Doug. But we don,t play in the Community Hall {yet} we play in the Moray resource centre in Elgin.The Behringer  pa,s do look interesting , we will check them out...

Bose has a nice sounding small system that can be added to if the ensemble adds on more members.
I still have more research to do but I am very interested in some form of this system.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Portability ,is important nothing too heavy.

henryb wrote:

Looking for advice on PA s, for playing at small type venues  ,like village hall size. Whats the pros and cons. Hope I,ve put this in the right place.

Here you go henryb, have a look at this. From what you're saying in your previous posts this may be just what you're seeking;

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-UB183 … 1.Music123

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Bose has a nice sounding small system that can be added to if the ensemble adds on more members.
I still have more research to do but I am very interested in some form of this system.

Here's the bose system Dennis is refferring to. I am the proud, pleased owner of the original L1. They're very expensive but well worth the extra$$$ if it's within ones means.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VI … =musicians

Give everything but up.

Thanks again , we are trying to raise enough money now, and will get back to you .