Topic: ACOUSTIC FENDERS

This is a problem I never understood.
While GIBSON has some great acoustics (Dove, Hummingbird, SJ-200, J-45) FENDER has NOT AT ALL a decent rival.
- What is the cause?
- Am I correct to tell that FENDER started to focus more on acoustic guitars?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ACOUSTIC FENDERS

I think Fender has many rivals and is frequently excelled within a price point for acoustic guitars.  I am entirely unimpressed with their acoustic offerings.  No animals were harmed in the posting of this message.  Your mileage may vary.  Do not read this message if you are now or may become pregnant.  (I think that's enough disclaimers)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am in love with my Fender JG-26SCE NAT electro/acoustic, the action and tone are fantastic, the in-built tuner and electrics work great too, however I have tried a few 70's and 80's built ones that were absolute rubbish.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Gibson started as an acoustic instrument company, building their instruments by hand with a reputation for quality,  they did the same when they added electric guitars to their product line. 

Fender started as an electronics company building Amplifyers and mass produced electric guitars, when they added acoustics they did not build them but had vendors put the fender name on imports, many from asia.  Fender has always positoned themselves in the market as a lower priced alternative to Gibson, it's main compeditor.  Fenders higher quality acoustic lines are Taylor, Guild  and Ovation.

I have a two year old fender acoustic. At first it was very hard to play, but after a
set up it sounds and plays great. But yes I can feel differences when playing other model of guitars.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

mixter102 wrote:

Fenders higher quality acoustic lines are Taylor, Guild  and Ovation.

Is this true?  I had no idea that these were "divisions" of Fender.

(Would it be like Lexus is the "luxury" division of Toyota?)

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Caracena wrote:
mixter102 wrote:

yep, it's true

http://www.fender.com/products/otherbrands/

ive got a fender gdc 200 sce... id like to hear any opinions you ve got about it

mixter102 wrote:
Caracena wrote:
mixter102 wrote:

yep, it's true

http://www.fender.com/products/otherbrands/

VERY INTERESTING!!

I did not know that either. Although, I am not a HUGE follower of Fender anyway.
I have an FJ-70 Fender Acoustic and a Guild.
The Fender's tone is dark and fuller while the Guild is bright and tinny (But not in a bad way).
Granted strings, cleanliness and age among a variety of other things change the guitars sound especially over time but they are 2 different animals. I did not like the sound of the Guild at first when compared side by side with the Fender. I got over that quickly. The Fender is not as easy to play as the Guild but as you all know that can also be adjusted. I will say that  the Fender "seems" a bit klunkier than the Guild. Although I do like the Fender I prefer the Guild.
I have not had a good chance to compare them while recording them unplugged through a mic, but I seem to lean towards the darker than the tinny.

Since you've just opened my eyes to Fender I realized that 3 of my 6 guitars are Fenders!!!
That is CRAZY!!!!!
Thanks for blowing my mind Mixter! smile

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

My DG22CE sounds pretty nice to most people, though most people say it has a really bright, "different" sound. Maybe that is why it was discontinued.
I have heard some acoustic Fenders that I dont like the sound of at all...but that could always be the player not the guitar.

Mandolin>guitar

I've said before in a different post that I think Fender expects its sales to come from the fact that it says "Fender" on the guitar. I totally agree that Fender does not compete all that well in the acoustic market. Of course, I smile from ear to ear every time I pick up my Strat., so let's give credit where credit is due.
But in the acoustic market there are so many really good guitars in such a wide variety of price ranges that Fender sure has failed to live up to the name they build around the Strats & Telecasters. IMHO.
;-)

I have a DG-22S and I like it, but my older $150.00 Ibanez sounded better.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

13 (edited by Stonebridge 2008-11-12 13:07:54)

mixter102 wrote:

Gibson started as an acoustic instrument company, building their instruments by hand with a reputation for quality,  they did the same when they added electric guitars to their product line. 

Fender started as an electronics company building Amplifyers and mass produced electric guitars, when they added acoustics they did not build them but had vendors put the fender name on imports, many from asia.  Fender has always positoned themselves in the market as a lower priced alternative to Gibson, it's main compeditor.  Fenders higher quality acoustic lines are Taylor, Guild  and Ovation.

Taylor is not, as far as I know, a "division" of Fender. So its guitars are not a "higher quality acoustic line" of Fender.
In 2008, Taylor went into partnership with Fender to distribute their guitars in Europe. They are still two separate companies, but working together in this area.
http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004131.html

i've got a Fender CD60 (steelstring) that was the first guitar i ever bought but i still love it the way it plays feels and in my opinion it is better that some of the steelstrings my friends have (like phoenix and stuff) so if anywan want to start with akoustic (steelstring) guitar i really say that one is a real good  one to start on it isnt even explencive (90euro thats about 100-110$ i think)

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

I've a Fender Tiki Femme Fatale, and it sounds a little bassey (which i quite like with light strings).

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

For what I paid for my fender cd60cse I'm very happy with it.

Isn't that what a stratocaster is about?  Good value for the money.  I think that's what Fender does best.  Opinions vary.  what do ya do.

17 (edited by vxn911 2008-11-27 15:54:27)

I just want to say....Fender does have an awesome guitar out there....It is a GA45sce.....what a beautiful guitar and sounds awesome....I just love it and can't say enough good about it....check it out if you ever get the chance.....great value and it will put a few big names to shame smile Do a search on the model and read the reviews.....mine also came with a built in tuner....which most don't. And the nut and saddle was replaced with natural bone....they had upgraded it for me (Fender) this guitar replaced a GA45sc plain accoustic model that had a factory defect.....I guess they just wanted to please their customer and boy, did they ever....I will never get rid of this guitar....I LOVE IT....
You absolutely, CANNOT beat the quality and features of this guitar for the price! PS: the action is low and Perfect as welll. It plays like a dream smile.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

I recently bought a Telecoustic Deluxe.  It's the model with both a tele neck pickup and piezo acoustic pickups.  The two can be adjusted seperately or blended together.  It has a real Telecaster neck.   It doesn't have the boom of a dreadnought, but too me, it sounds ok when played acoustically . . . and when you plug it in . . . it's great.  The active piezo type of pickups have always sounded a bit harsh to me, and blending them with the magnetic pickup makes the guitar sound more natural to me.  I just love this little guitar.  The neck plays soft and easy like an electric, but the sound is acoustic.  The only problem with this guitar is that the body is light and the neck is heavy, so it doesn't balance well.  I also have a Fender Sonoran acoustic/electric, but prefer to play the Telecoustic because it's smaller, plays easier, and I think it sounds better when plugged in.

hi all, ive just bought a fender CD140CDE electro/acoustic, and for 155 quid i can say the setup is great, the guitar feels so comftable to play, my chords sound crisper and clearer, the electrics and built in tuner are fab, i have been playing just under a year now, and this fender acoustic has given me such a confidence boost in playing, oh, and it looks nice!!!!!.
might not suit a pro player, but if your starting out and want a lot of guitar for little money, i would go for this one.

happy playing, glynn.

Bought a 6-String Yam Fg730S and was impressed.
Bought a 12-String Fender CD140S and was utterly unimpressed.
In comparison to the Yam, the Fender sucks.
Will return it to the Shop ASAP and try to have them order me the 12-String Yam FG720-12-NT

My opinion is that the "today's acoustic Fenders" are a lot better than an acoustic 10-year old Fender.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

My poor old Fender (made in America) is a F-75 sounded good 25 years ago and still sounds good.

Well i haven't tried many of the Fender Acoustics but the ones i have tried were pretty good. Has anyone tried the Kingman or the T Bucket  Hot Rod special? I've been looking at getting one but i can't find a shop that has them in stock. The reviews are good and they look great but haven't been able to get my hands on either one.

24 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-12-30 14:00:01)

Stonebridge has it right... Taylor is not a division of fender. Fenders highest make of acoustics are the Tacoma brand. They are great acoustics but people really prefer the pre-fender models... Fender came out with an all solid wood series not too long ago but from what I've read they weren't very impressive and they are being discontinued already.-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Ive never played an acoustic Fender I liked... but some of the best electric's ive played  have been Fender...
Someof the best sounding acoustic's ive played are Washburn. I would lean more toward the higher end ones  but I think they play and sound very well.