Topic: beginner

hi im new to guitars and im getting my first acoustic in a couple of days and if any1 has any tips on getting started that would be great

thanx

Re: beginner

Hey there, I would describe myself as a fairly new player too, although it's been over a year now. I started like most people with tuneless aspirations and a few rather unhelpful textbooks / instructional dvds.

The thing I found when trying to play was just to devote some time to it and stick at it. It's very frustrating at first and exceptionally easy to throw in the towel when you hit a brick wall. Practice every day, even if it's for 30mins, do that and you'll soon pick it up. Your hands will start to learn their way around the fretboard and your confidence will increase. You'll find that you get a real buzz when you finally learn something new and make real progress. I also found that it's a serious of plateaus and steep increases in ability. Things often just "click" but it all goes back to my initial point. It takes time...time and patience.

Sorry for rambling, but hope it's some use. Good luck!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Hi...I would suggest finding someone to help you make sure that your new guitar is properly tuned and set up right...that can save you lots of headaches! Then learn some basic chords and scales and practice as often as you can. It will take a few days for your fingers to build callouses to prevent soreness from the strings. If you can afford to take some lessons then find someone who shares your musical interests to help you.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

thanx alot i just play around with my friends guitars and its real fun and i think ill stick with but i dont think ill be able to take lessons because of the cash and howi dont have any but thanx alot for the good advice

Practice every day.  And practice with a goal.

Early on your practice goal might be "Make a chord transition from A to D cleanly" or "Barre across the fretboard with no muffed strings" 

In a broader sense, your goal might be "Strengthen my hands."

As you learn more, you'll be able to better set and reach milestones to improve your playing.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi,

Another idea that won't cost you too much money is to see if you local library has any guitar books and/or Lessons on CD you can borrow and take home.  You can at least start learning the basics until you're more comfortable about moving to the next level. 

Hope this helps!

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>geneseoguitars25 wrote on Tue, 06 February 2007 05&#58;10</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
thanx alot i just play around with my friends guitars and its real fun and i think ill stick with but i dont think ill be able to take lessons because of the cash and howi dont have any but thanx alot for the good advice
</td></tr></table>

Don't get frusterated just PRATICE PRACTISE PRACTISE,  It all comes together eventually set realistic goals and stick to them remember their are public song book with alot of easy song in them.  TRY some of them out but remeber don't get frusterated!