Topic: can anyone help me? my left arm is fused...

I used to play anything, but had to have 4 inches cut off my ulna and then have it fused. (my palm faces down unless I pull my elbow in hard to my side...)  Now the only way I can play is to hold my guitar like a cello.  I can't do barre chords anymore but I don't want to give up everything I used to play.   Can anyone help?  I think if I can find alternates for the barre chords I may be capable of more...help!  sad

Re: can anyone help me? my left arm is fused...

You have a very difficult hurdle to get over and only you know the limitations of what you can or cant do,there are other options like slide guitar where you could lay the guitar on your lap and tune the guitar to a chord it might take some getting used to but with time and practice you can pick out melodies I say this because that's the way I learned how to play slide guitar and there are several different tunings you can use but I hope you find a way to play the guitar the way you want, maybe someone can offer a suggestion good luck with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Laurie,  Sorry to hear about your challenges. 

I don't know if this would be helpful to you, but something that might be worth a try is the lap-steel thing.... with a guitar that is "off-handed".  By that I mean if you are right handed and played that way before, try a left handed guitar.

Often I play with a friend who is opposite handed from me and he is able easily to play my guitar in that fashion (palm down).  The chord fingering is the same as usual, but it does take some rethinking in the picking and strum patterns.

Best of Luck to you , and don't give up!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

4 (edited by alvee33 2008-10-01 08:22:01)

I found this on youtube. It may or may not help. The first bit of the first link looks interesting for you but the rest of the clip is crazy.

I'd also suggest tuning your guitar to an open chord. Jeez, this is gonna be tough for you - like starting again. I truly hope you get there.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt6WS6bmdCE

also

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0wF76GpmZYs

All the best.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi Laurie Have you thought of trying the "Dobro" ?
             Plays in open tunings ..so no barre chords..
             played with a slide..
             plays with palm down picking..
             and sounds great..

Check out Jerry Douglas on you tube a True master of this instrument..

What ever you try .. wish you good times ahead.. smile

you also might want to check out Jeff Healey's unorthodox style of play - almost like a lap steel too

I'm the son of rage and love

Hi Laurie, I don't know if you read any of my posts on how I smashed my wrist, I've lost some use of my right hand but I hope to be able to still play some style.
I can't think of how you are feeling, it must be heart crushing, you make my hand sound like a spriend wrist. I hope someone can come up with a way to let you play on.
Keep your chin up!

Luck to all!!!

lauriesmyname wrote:

I used to play anything, but had to have 4 inches cut off my ulna and then have it fused. (my palm faces down unless I pull my elbow in hard to my side...)  Now the only way I can play is to hold my guitar like a cello.  I can't do barre chords anymore but I don't want to give up everything I used to play.   Can anyone help?  I think if I can find alternates for the barre chords I may be capable of more...help!  sad

Laurie,
I can honestly empathize with you and your current situation. You are in for a very challenging time but you'll be amazed what you can do if you want something badly enough. Best of luck to you. Here's an article my hometown newspaper did on me back in May of this year.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninter … 497450.ece

Feel free to contact me if you wish.

Best Regards,
SouthPaw41L(Toney Hall)

Give everything but up.

Hi Laurie smile

Try not to let your situation get the best of you.There are some really good suggestions here,especially Southpaws. smile Awesome Toney!!!
You never know what curve life will throw at you and all you can do is do your best and never ever give up.Plan your work than work your plan...and stick to it.
All the best to you. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks to all of you who responded!  I will never give up!!!   It is kinda weird, however, that I am able to play classical stuff and not some of the easier chords.  I should also say that I owe some of my new found dexterity to playing "guitar hero" with my teenagers.  If any of you know of a source that gives simplified versions of barre chords that don't include the barre...  I am trying to find that as well.  by the way...I would love to know more about some of your experiences and successes.  I used to teach jr. high music (band, choir, recorder, guitar,  piano, etc.) and now that I have found that I can play even in limited ways, I feel like Sampson (bible ref.) with a nice new head of long hair!

You are all great!  thanks for the encouragement and all the best to everyone!    Laurie  big_smile