Topic: Recording mic

When I buy I mic for recording on my computer, I need a male/female mic cable, right? Is there anything else I need, or just the mic and cable? I already have an adapter.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Recording mic

What sort of mic are you planning on buying? You can buy a PC mic that will plug directly into your sound card (or USB). These mics are short money and there are many posts dealing with the topic. If you want a dual purpose mic, one you could gig with as well as use for home recording, then you'll need to adapt that from phono plug (?) to 3.5 mm (the one that fits into your sound card). Hope that helps

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Many quality audio microphones/leads have a three pin XLR plug and socket for which adaptors are available to use in 6mm jack socket. There are also 6mm to 3.5mm adaptors available to use direct into a PC soundcard.

So the answwer is yes, if you have no mixer to interface through, you can plug direct into your PC.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

yes the female plugs into your microphone and the male plugs into the adapter, the adapter has a female to 1/8 in mono plug and this plugs into your microphone input on your soundcard some microphones chords have a 3 pin plug cable if you buy one you will need another adapter with a 1/4 in male and a 3 hole female so get the cable with male female and your good to go smile

06sc500 wrote:

When I buy I mic for recording on my computer, I need a male/female mic cable, right? Is there anything else I need, or just the mic and cable? I already have an adapter.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Greetings All,

Just an add note to the excellent comments already posted here.  Most Microphones (studio or stage quality) will have a XLR 3 pin connector on them.  Dynamic Microphones are passive and only need the appropriate plug adapters to go directly to the sound card, Condenser Microphones require that 49 volt "phantom power" to hot up the element.... that will require some sort of pre-amp to supply that power feed.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare