Topic: Frills

Wheres a good place to find out what the little frills etc are in a song...all the hammer ons....bass runs .....etc etc.  for example at the end of the D chord during the second verse of Bad moon Rising?

Thanks,

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Re: Frills

It's sure not the easiest way, as guitarists are a lazy lot who like to have a song tabbed out perfectly right in front of them.  Unfortunately, when searching internet tabs, there's many that are incorrect or someone's "own version" of a song.  My advice is to listen to the song carefully with your guitar, and try to figure it out by ear.  It's more work, but also more rewarding.  Good luck.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Here here. There is no better place to go than the recording itself. Sorry Pat, it's not what you want to hear but it's the best way.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thanks guys!  i did think that would be the answer, so at least now I know.  Thanks again

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Since I'm musically illiterate...I can sorta read some tab but that's extremely limited...I have to listen the to recording several times to get everything "locked" in.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

OK - gonna jump on the band wagon here. These guys have said it like it is my friend. Spend hours (maybe not all at once), but hours with your guitar and the recording and work it out.
One little trick that I use though to figure out the structure of a song is rather than trying to play along with a song's rhythm, try picking out a lead. This will get you going up and down the fret board finding out where certain strings make the right sounds and if you already know what the song's basic chords are you will definitely learn from this experience, not to mention you might gain some speed and accuracy with fingering.
Also, a good song to get you picking up on the little fingering tricks is Wild World by Cat Stevens. The little run in the chorus takes some practice (here's a tip - it begins with the open F) but it will give you some new confidence and again, help you to hear what kinds of sounds can happen with just a little effort. Lastly, if you're playing by ear along with the recording make absolutely sure your guitar is tuned to concert pitch (440 hz). Otherwise it will never sound quite right.
Cheers & good luck!

Thanks Takamine...  Good advice that I'm going to try and follow.  It's time to start sprucing up my playing.  You've described a good way to try.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude