Topic: looking the part

Now, im going to describe my theory to you in breif,

i personaly think that if you grow your hair slightly longer than normal and ye why not, poss let it get a bit outa hand
it will amke you play 4.89% better! the other effects are that you start to wonder down the street instead of walk, all ov a sudden you take up smoking and best of all you start to carry the sweet smell of joss sticks,

all this helps to make a guitarist an artist!!!!!!!

who agrees????

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

Re: looking the part

Someone once told me "Some people will tell you that smoking marijuana is good for musical creativity.  Don't believe them."  I agree with the hair part.  But what about Joe Satriani?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Yes, what makes an artist?

We actually have a court case in Belfast at the moment that is asking that very question. Michael Stone a Loyalist killer attacked Stormont Buildings - seat of the Northern Ireland Assembly - with a pistol and primed bomb. His court defence is that the attack was a piece of performance art !

The court service had to pay to fly in experts in performance art to give evidence ( Southpaw - did they ever get around to asking you ?). 

His "artwork" was caught on camera by the BBC  who were waiting in the lobby to film an interview with one of the Assembly Members.

You can view it here and decide for yourself. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7629417.stm

It's a good example of how to use a revolving door as an offensive weapon.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Long hair definitely helped me reach the standard I reached. And it didn't wear off when I finally went respectable again.

5 (edited by Zurf 2008-10-10 16:08:56)

Shoot.  I'm bald and apparantly now stuck with mediocrity.  If I had known about this, I'd have taken up the accordian.

Old Doll - While I respect the courts, I don't care if it is artwork.  Illegal is illegal.  He can perform his art, but if he violates laws in the performance, well then tough.  Even with free speech, speech is not entirely free.   I had a law professor who explained it thusly, "My right to swing my fist around ends precisely at the tip of your nose." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Alan,
I feel left out, I never received a call!

Wilcovecrue,
When I had long hair, I could play Satriani, Vai, Segovia, etc., note for note and even added improved elements to their music. Then I  went to barber shop , got a haircut, and my playing abilities drastically decreased. I could barely play a G chord afterwards. I guess it really is about the "look" and the "image". Practicing and live performance has absolutely nothing to do with ones' prowess on ones' instrument, it's all about long, wavy, hair and flashy clothes. Oh yeah, the joss sticks are a must too in playing quality music..................(ahem)

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I think it also works by just turning your head upside down. Bald as a coot on top but with a rediculously clipped, trimmed or similarly rediculously long beard. From your photo, Zurf, it looks like you're half way to legend status. lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

8 (edited by Zurf 2008-10-10 18:28:26)

cool 

All I've got to do is get a good pair of sunglasses and I should be able to play rings around the rest of you then.  I'm afraid I don't know what a joss stick is.  If it's what I think it is, then I won't be able to play jazz and rock.  Drug free work place you know.  Can't be losing my excellent job over a few minutes' buzz.  How about I'll chomp on a cigar and crank out some country tunage or slap on a straw cowboy hat and overalls with no shirt underneath and lay out some bluegrass? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Don't feel bad Zurf,  I didn't know what a Joss stick was either. 

Here I was trying to practice too get better, now I find out all I have to do is grow my hair, and smoke weed.

Ok - this is freaky. My hair is longer now than it has been in years and I've recently learned at least a few new tunes. Hmmm.... now I'm afraid that if I get a haircut I'll forget those new tunes.
I think I'll have a bevy and think about it.

guys, your education is sadly lacking! 

Joss sticks are just incense sticks, used in eastern religions to appease bad spirits and bring good 'joss'.

Hippies got hold of them and used them to cover up the smell of hashish/opium/marijuana etc.

I think y'all are obsessed with drugs!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

bonedaddy wrote:

cool

And you say this as if it's a bad thing?!?!......hahahehe,huh-huuurrrggggh

Give everything but up.

cool

I know, I know.  I hate being addicted to music. 

As for the hair thing, I noticed that if my facial hair is longer(not shaving), then my creativity increases exponentially. LOL

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

It's a state of mind. man.  Like cosmically, man, were all linked yeah?  Hair, man, yeah? Like it'a a state of mmmm,  hair man.  if we had long hair man, we'd never have wars... we wouldn't want to mess our hair.  Man....

My ambition far exceeds my ability

I knew a guy many years ago who claimed pot smoking made him play better. He came by my club stoned one evening and sat in with my group to show me how much better he sounded on whacky weed.
He wasn't a great guitarist to start with and he sounded like crap that night. We all delighted in telling him exactly that.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

patrickthered wrote:

It's a state of mind. man.  Like cosmically, man, were all linked yeah?  Hair, man, yeah? Like it'a a state of mmmm,  hair man.  if we had long hair man, we'd never have wars... we wouldn't want to mess our hair.  Man....

I mis-read this and thought it said cosmetically linked. Like if we all use the same hair gel then we will all learn from the great hair care spirit in the sky; man.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Zurf wrote:

cool 

Drug free work place you know.   
- Zurf

Free drugs??? hummmmnnn...   Where do you work?

Give everything but up.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I knew a guy many years ago who claimed pot smoking made him play better. He came by my club stoned one evening and sat in with my group to show me how much better he sounded on whacky weed.
He wasn't a great guitarist to start with and he sounded like crap that night. We all delighted in telling him exactly that.

I heard one of the members of Jefferson Airplane comment on that myth. Basically he said that when high he could hardly see or hold his instrument, let alone play it.

TakamineEG341C wrote:

Ok - this is freaky. My hair is longer now than it has been in years and I've recently learned at least a few new tunes. Hmmm.... now I'm afraid that if I get a haircut I'll forget those new tunes.
I think I'll have a bevy and think about it.

No, the effect stays, even when you cut it afterwards.

i disagree, its like samson, cut the hair you might as well hack up your guitar and urinate on your cat
keep the rustic look

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!