Topic: I Miss America

(Start singing to the tune of "Here she is, Miss America...")

I Miss America - Words and Music by Tom Donoghue, 2008

A Here she is
D Miss America
A This is what
D This is what we’ve become
G We’ve set the bar so low
A  We’re watching a beauty show

D Here she is
G A gun toting hockey mom
D Heartbeat from
G Her finger on the bomb

A We’ve set the bar so low G….
G And down we go  D (strum same chords 2 bars)

D What happened to
G The country we once knew
D Shining bright
G We could all look up to
A We let it slip away
G Now we’re a bad cliche
A I  want my country back
G I Miss America (strum)

D They scream like kids
G On the convention floor
D Christian words
G But no mention of the poor
A The hungry babies
G The unemployed
A Our soldiers under fire
NC  And they seem D overjoyed

(Same chords as above)
Reality
Is harder than fantasy
8 years of lies
Destroyed our democracy
I want my country back
Don’t need your angry hate
Let’s be the USA that
Used to be great. 
DGDGAGAGD

[url=http://www.youtube.com/tboned611]www.youtube.com/tboned611[/url]

Re: I Miss America

hi tom the world is in a mess and it all falls back on the tax payer,great song....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Good idea and theme for a song, but after reading the lyrics all I see is an anti-Bush-anit-McCain/Palin-let's-get-Obama-in song.  No party is perfect.  It's a shame how many bitter people there are out there that think all of our country's problems are because of Bush.  Guess what? We've turned from our core values, sought after money and material things rather than God, and yeah, look where we are.  Just my opinion.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

Good idea and theme for a song, but after reading the lyrics all I see is an anti-Bush-anit-McCain/Palin-let's-get-Obama-in song.  No party is perfect.  It's a shame how many bitter people there are out there that think all of our country's problems are because of Bush.  Guess what? We've turned from our core values, sought after money and material things rather than God, and yeah, look where we are.  Just my opinion.

YOu make an interesting point, and I agree. I wonder why it is that people don't like bush at all. He was just trying to do a good thing for other contries and our own.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

I'm not saying that Bush is all that great of a president, as he's no Ronald Reagan or JFK, but a lot of people try to pin the economy and stuff on him.  It's been a gradual build-up over the years of American greed that has caused our problems we're facing now.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

"He was just trying to do a good thing for other contries and our own."

Sorry, but this analysis is very debatable and the vast majority of people in those other countries simply wouldn't agree with you. We're now watching our economies shaken to their foundations because Bush did nothing to stem the crazy sub-prime market and was happy to see the debt bundled and sold around the world. Bush was the piper playing his own tune through all of this - and ordinary decent families across  the world are the patsies who are picking up his tab. Who would want to be retiring from work in the next couple of years !

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Gentlemen, this is the Songwriting Forum, please do not let this thread degenerate into a political slanging match. Comment on the song and its contents are welcomed but there are Forums for political argument and Chordie is NOT one of them.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I agree, please stick to guitars and music. Politics has no place here.

9 (edited by Old Doll 2008-10-09 08:15:49)

Yes i agree its a music forum but,

its  good to have an  honest opinion on a piece of writing.
Marcalan wrote a great piece here some time ago along the same lines!
My question would be, Where was all these billions when New Orleans was drowning and still is in a quagmire of
government neglect?. Shame on all of them well healed,well suited government leaders . It never ceases to amaze me how people with lots of money, forget what its like to live on the margin day to day. Ah yes!  Bail out the fat cats and let us eat cake!
One man here  had his own business, he saved and invested 600 thousand euro for his retirement over 40 years, which is coming up soon for his wife and himself, the poor devil will be lucky to get 300 thousand as his settlement. Disgraceful.

The world’s economy is nosediving this week.

The poorest 40% of our world accounts for just 5% of global income. ‘How can this be?’

The ten richest Americans, according to the Forbes Rich List have a total worth of 298 billion dollars. This is while 12% of the US live in relative poverty.

The ten richest people in the world have a total worth of 426 billion dollars…and do you know what the worst part is?.. Four of these ten (4,5,6 & 8 ) are from India. India is the country of 1.2 billion people where the GDP per ca-pita is $3,700. This compared to Ireland’s $43,600! At least 25% of Indians live in poverty. That’s one in four! That’s at least 300 million people living in poverty while India’s ten wealthiest men are worth 229 billion dollars.
This is the top ten Forbes Rich List:

62 - Warren Buffett (US)
60 - Carlos Slim Helu (Mexico)
58 - Bill Gates (US)
45 - Lakshmi Mittal (India)
43 - Mukesh Ambani (India)
42 - Anil Ambani (India)
31 - Ingvar Kamprad - Ikea (Sweden)
30 - KP Singh (India)
28 - Oleg Deripaska (Russia)
27 - Karl Albrecht (Germany)

There wealth is in billions!.

Can someone please tell me what one person needs $1 billion dollars for?

According to UNICEF, 26,500-30,000 children die each day due to poverty.

Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.

Here is an analysis of long-term trends showing the distance between the richest and poorest countries:

3 to 1 in 1820
11 to 1 in 1913
35 to 1 in 1950
44 to 1 in 1973
72 to 1 in 1992
Some improvement Eh!
We have our own fat cats here also who are equally dispicable, stealing from the workers once again. Do i sound like i have a gripe with extremely wealthy people ?  Well believe me i dont, i have enough  wealth in my own clan. But  were not taking the pensions off someones well worked back!
Whatever money is left over when i die i cannot take with me anyways.

But these facts are truly shocking.

It cannot be ignored. Unless of course your living or want to live in Lala land.

Personally i find  this whole scenerio obscene.

Namaste to all.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

THE BUCK STOPS WHERE?

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

cool song!

All You Need is Love smile

Hey, there isn't anything wrong with an anti-bush song - its cool, and I liked it.  The music and the sentiment is on point - what happen to the days of Lennon?  Music IS political, music IS confrontational, and better yet.. Music sounds good.  You had all those elements, makes for a damn good song.

Doesn't matter who you vote for - the government always gets in.

Good song!

I'm the son of rage and love

I refuse (Obama *****) to get involved in any of this political talk. I will just play my guitar.

*****edited by administration SouthPaw41L( inappropiate content)*****
Chordie is not the place to lobby for, or against votes for candidates.

JimBusch wrote:

I refuse (Obama *****) to get involved in any of this political talk. I will just play my guitar.

*****edited by administration SouthPaw41L( inappropiate content)*****
Chordie is not the place to lobby for, or against votes for candidates.

I refuse ? lol   Then give an opinion ?    Oh the mighty power of the  Human Ego. 

Old Doll.

Sorry Old Doll. I lost control. I hereby vow to not let that happen again. I swear on the top of my Martin guitar.

You call yourself Old Doll, but I am probably older than you at 61, so I'll just call myself Old Fart. By the way, I love that laughing/smiling face you put into your note.

Mr Busch ( no relation I take it ?),

That is a seriously sacriligeous thing to do on this forum. I mean swearing is one thing - there are occasions when we can forgive the occasional lapse. But doing the dirty deed on a martin guitar is going too far!

Where are the Administrators when we need them to protect us from this kind of depraved desecration of a tone wood. They're probably thinking about who to vote for when they should be stamping out this sort of thing.     

"Down with this sort of thing !"

alansheeran  lol

I was about to ask the same question.  I know with some of the accents here this Gentleman
could be called Bush,  Boochie, Bushie, Bosca { Box in Irish } Bursh !

Yes i agree "How could he swear
over the top of his Martin!

PS. You don't have that many years on me " Mr Jim Busch " Hm mm,  So posh they named a park after you!  Ladeda! lol

Don't be bold now! There is nothing egotistical about being called an Old Fart. It conjurs up all kinds of images.
Heavens preserve me and me only after having me dinner.

Slan

Old Doll.

I now know the whereabouts of the administrators !

They were all queuing up outside Ben and Gerry's for their free scoop of ice cream ( Check out - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … sarahpalin )

Hey guys & Doll,

I really did not desecrate my Martin. It is my best guitar. I got an HD-28 last February, and am still in awe of the tone. All I have to do is drag the pick across the strings to be impressed.  Those of you who have less expensive acoustics or laminated tops etc take heart, it is not in the guitar you own so much as how you play it. And if you are a beginner you can very much enjoy playing on anything. There is a magic in guitars that has been amazing me for over 35 years. I love the looks of guitars, the sounds, whether it is played by Eric Clapton or a new beginner.

Alan Sheeran,
No, no relation to George Bush. However, I was born on April 23rd, which is St.George day in the Catholic church. My parents did consider naming me George, back in 1947. Somehow that morphed into James.

The mighty, morphin' James Busch !

Now if they had called you Martin, that would have been very scary !