Topic: I-Pod or Zune?

yeah, so i am wanting to get either an i pod or a zune and dont know which is better and which i should get  my price limit is $240.00 so if any one knows anything about these music players please let me no wat u think about them.  thx.

oooooo                  ooooooooooo   

oo                              oo
                   oo                              oo

ooooo

o                                                 o
             o                                            o
                o                                      o
                   oooooooooooooooooo

Re: I-Pod or Zune?

Hi Montana W.

Well I'm no expert, but my son is....  works as a computer tech for the local school district.  He weighed the options and went with the Zune.  Even put an RF Modulator in his Volvo so it plays through his high-zoot stereo system!  It is a bit larger physically than the i pod, but has more capacity. 

Happy Shopping, and read lots of reviews!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Been looking at MP3 players myself lately.  I'm eager to see if there are other comparisons.  Thanks Doug for what you provided.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I speak from experience when it comes to the iPod ... I've owned 4+ iPods ... the reason?  The hard drive in them tends to crap out after a year or so ... I had a 60G / 30G / and 2 - 4Gs ... in all of them the hard drive went and the only way to get it fixed is to send it to Apple and have them repair it which is more than the iPod is worth ...

I've been meaning to try the Zune but my current iPod shuffle hasn't crapped out on me yet but WHEN it does, I'm going with the Zune next

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I've had my ipod for about 7 months a 4 gig. At first It's a little bit frustrating because you have to learn how to use it and learn to use the itunes store. But if you keep at it you'll get it it becomes pretty easy(I've only owned a computer for about 7 months also so I'm no computer geek) so you should learn pretty quick I personally love my ipod I know how to put movies on it tv show music videos and lots of music.I also bought the shrink my tunes software and It use to hold about only 800 songs now I have almost 1500 so look into that too. also I like that I can put my chordie songbook in my ipod. The letters are a bit small but if your sitting outside in the breeze enjoying a tune or two(giving your ears a break from the ipod) you can use it as a reference instead of running in the house to use the computer to get the chord you need from chordie. I love my ipod but if you have the dough to spend for an 8 or 16 gig go  for it. Also a new ipod nano just came out look it up I paid $200 for my 4 gig now they are selling a 16 gig for $200 I've never owned a zune so this is from an ipod point of view!!!! Good Luck

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

I would recomend the zune. it has much more capabilits then an ipod. there have been some major recent updates which have made it even better such as buying music straight from the zune. i have the first gen that came out and it still works even after being soaked in water, dropped, and stepped on. tough little things. anyway enjoy your new mp3 player

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

I wouldn't touch a Zune, personally. iPod Nano 8g here, only one for me.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I got a Creative Zen 4GB, with the FM tuner and an SD slot.  So far, so good.  It cost me a whopping $0, but I did have to pay $15 for a 2GB SD card.  I just got it over the weekend, so I still have a lot of messing around with it to see whether I like it.  It is easy to use, and it sounds OK.  For the price, it's tough to beat.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I have never actually owned an ipod till recently, though both my parents have(all 1stgens, 4 in total) all but one in the time theyve had em konked out. one will not work unless it is plugged up to power source, on is simply falling part after normal use, one simply died, and one works. I myself went with the Shuffle and its work fine since i got it. only problem is it doesnt hold alot of memory.
id go with the 2gig shuffle for best durability(ALL metal, no screen to dent. mine's held up to a great many brutalities),although not alot of mem. 2 gig is good for me though.   for now.....

A couple issues I have with the Zen in use.

1. There is no random feature.  You have to set playlists precisely and then listen to them in the exact order.  You can't even load the songs into the playlist and hit a shuffle command with the software.  That's kind of a pain.  I would like to be able to shuffle up the songs. 

2. It doesn't load songs in the same order as on the album, but in alphabetical order of song.  This is kind of a randomizing function in a way, so not entirely annoying.

3. There is no fast-forward or reverse.  You can go back to the beginning of the song or to the next song.  You can't rewind a little to replay a neat riff you just heard. 

4. You have to pay an extra $10 for the MP3 software.  It comes with software that works with .wma files, but to get MP3 you have to pay $10.  I didn't know whether .wma files or MP3 files were smaller, so I have to pay $10 just to experiment.  That stinks.

5. On the positive side, I very much like the SD memory slot.  I have an SD card loaded with Classical and Ethnic music (mostly Celtic), and plan to load other ones with Bluegrass, Gospel, Kid music, etc. 

6. The annoying thing about the SD memory slot is that I can only play songs on that card or on the main memory of the device.  You can't mix songs from the SD card and the main device in a playlist. 

So, there are some limits that seem kind of bone-headed to me, but the sound is good, the capacity is wonderful, and I've been enjoying using it.  It is far, far more flexible and easy to carry around than the 50 albums or so worth of music I have loaded on it.

- Zurf

The only thing I would say in favour of the ipod is that every company seems to be making accessories for it and not much else. I have a Zen Vision M (which I don't think they make any more) but which I love. It is really easy to use, works with Windows media Player and does all of the stuff that Zurf's doesn't. When it craps out though, I'll be getting an ipod simply because I can then get a whole bunch of stuff, like hi-fi systems, that are designed to run with it.

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

I love my 4g ipod...and the software that you download with it (itunes) is really easy to work with.  The only thing that i dislike about my ipod is that it doesnt have a radio and the Zune does.  Plus the Zune is actually a little cheaper i believe.