Topic: Best electric guitar & amp - beginner on a budget

Hi,

What's the best electric guitar and amp for a beginner on a budget? Simply for pleasure.

Thanks,

Ruby

Re: Best electric guitar & amp - beginner on a budget

rubyruby, can you tell me how long this piece of string I have in my pocket, is? The question you ask is almost impossible to answer. I would 1st set a budget for what I could afford, then I would start looking for what that price range offered. I think I would begin with abour 3 hundred bucks. You can very easily find a small amp (10 to 30 watts), used, in the 50 to 75 dollar price range. For what you have remaining you could find a decent guitar to get started with. Never buy your gear because it looks cute or somebody tells you it's a good buy. Try everything out and make sure it's in good working order before layin' yo're money down. If you are not able determine the quality find some you trust to go with you and listen to their advice. Spend all the time you need to make your decision but always buy what you want are you will not be satisfied.

nela

NELA wrote:

rubyruby, can you tell me how long this piece of string I have in my pocket, is?

nela

I guess 7-3/16" big_smile What do I win?

Good advice from NELA

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

As you know am in for a new Amp..but another suggestion as been thrown my way and its the following items. what does the knowledgeable people in here think?

My Amp is ok though basic,  so will one of these work?both are the same amount of cash,but i think reading the write ups i get more for my money with these below.
what do you all think?

DIGITECH RP80 or the PR 100

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00 … rp100.html

Regards. Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Yamaha Pacifica and a Line6 Pocket Pod.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

My piece of string is possibly about three hundred bucks - depends on whether it's worth saving up longer to get something better, and how good my bartering is. The amp I'd be looking for second hand probably, but I'd like a new guitar. I've always heard about Fender and Strats, but don't know if it's worth looking at other makes. Good advice though - thank you. I guess I need to go into a shop and try some out.

ooohhh - I like the look of the pocket pod - although I should probably try to find something second hand, but it's tempting. Thanks for the yamaha suggestion too.

Hi Ruby, the neat thing with the Pocket Pod is it's a small headphones practise unit can give the big sound of an amplifier stack in a hall (or a vintage combo in a studio whatever your taste). Line 6 also do affordable Spider amps again the cans mode works well on these, on many amps the headphone socket is unuseable. Indeed on many amps you have to turn up hellishly loud to get any kind of crunch.

Strat shape is a good ergonomic one (imagine playing a 'flying V' guitar sitting down!) but Fender is expensive. You'll get better bangs per buck out of Ibanez, Yamaha, ESP, Levinson Blade, Fret-King, Washburn and Spear. They all do Strat-alike guitars with better hardware, pickups and necks. Of course if you really have to have the Fender sound...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

For an amp, I'd highly recommend a Line 6 Spider 3.  For a guitar, I'd go with an ESP or Ibanez, as they have some nice models that are fairly inexpensive.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

10 (edited by DrewDruncan 2008-11-03 04:59:11)

If it were me, I would want to try several in my price range. No matter the brand, I would want a guitar that sounds fairly loud and clear unplugged, with a neck profile that feels good in my hand and that will play in tune. I could always update the pickups, for different tones, but the neck is the heart of the beast.

As for amps, I would look for a good clean tone, at the loudest volume that I would generally need. There are lots of ways to get distorted tones (pedals, modeling,etc) but you can not add headroom. If an amp breaks up too soon, all you can do is shop for another model with more wattage.

I wish I had bought a small, used P.A. system instead of several guitar amps. A P.A. with at least 10 inch speakers in the columns gives you plenty volume and power and allows you the option of adding microphones and plugging in additional instruments.
A stomp box for a guitar and a C.D. player to input tracks and you got yourself a one man band. cool

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Lots of good info on this topic...especially from Topdown, NELA, and Cytania...I really agree with DrewDruncan on trying out different instruments. For my 2 cent opinion...you didn't mention your preference in music but I think most would agree that the Gibson Les Paul and the Fender Strat has set the standards for all and everything else is a copy...many of the other companies have come out with their versions and many are considered to be improvements...that said... for a lower price range the mid range Epiphone Les Pauls and the mid range Fender Mexican made Stratocasters are usually good buys...they are well made and versatile guitars. The Yamaha Pacifica (previously mentioned) is an import Strat type guitar and is an excellent value...ditto for many of the Ibanez, ESP, and others... I would stay away from the Indonesia made Fenders and bottom line Epiphones...that means stay away from most of the pre packaged kits that are being sold as ready to go.

For an amp? A pocket pod is great! Or a small portable amp like the Roland Micro Cube works well...with it you can use headphones, play mp3 or CD tracks thru it, and it sounds great...about $125.00 here...

All this is simply opinion and I hope this works well for you...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Have you considered picking up an acoustic to learn on?

$300 (about £170??) Isn't an awful lot to play with, especially people going on about genuine Fenders and Gibson, they are completely out of the question.

As for guitars, Squire (a branch of Fender) offer some not to bad classic Strat's & Tele's.
IMO, as mentioned above, take a trip to your local guitar shop, explain the situation your in, and see how it goes.

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

Target has a combo pack . Fender Starcaster Strat Guitar with amp for $199.00 with free shipping.I have a Fender Acoustic and this may be my first electric. On line is cheaper, at the store is $249.00

Can i recommend the Electric guitar i have started out with...?   It's an IbanezGAX70, and in my opinion, is a perfect lil instrument for starting out.  I play it on a MarshallMG15cd Amplifier.  Together the two cost around £140.

I've played on my brothers Fender Stratocaster, and i must say, maybe because i'm just more used to my guitar, that there really isn't much difference!

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

It's always a good idea to learn on an acoustic because you learn what true tone is and the fingering on an acoustic helps train your hands for the big stuff down the road.
Takamine, Fender, and Ibanes make really good begginer guitars.