Topic: what's the best strings to use?

I have an Epiphone acoustic steel string guitar and i was wanting suggestions for what brand of strings to use. i thought about getting Martin SP's light. i want something kind of light with an excellent sound and lasting for some time could anyone give me some suggestions?

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

Re: what's the best strings to use?

I've  been using D'Addario EXP11 (12-53) on my Martin acoustic/electric...these are a coated string and have been long lasting and best of all sound great! I use a lot of alternate tunings and constantly changing tuning...I've had no string breakage with these! You can visit their website for more info...         Hope this helps...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

I've  been using D'Addario EXP11 (12-53) on my Martin acoustic/electric...these are a coated string and have been long lasting and best of all sound great! I use a lot of alternate tunings and constantly changing tuning...I've had no string breakage with these! You can visit their website for more info...         Hope this helps...

I'v been using those strings as well.  I use the light variety on the recommendation of my teacher.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Elixir Nanowebs for me... Light. But let your guitar dictate by what size it's set up for. I really have been happy with Elixir Nanos. They sound good and last longer. Unlike a lot of folks, I hate restringing my acoustics so longer life is better. I used to use Martin Marquis and still have some leftovers. If you're a newer player the Elixirs are kinder to your finger tips.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I know what you mean.  Not knowing any better, I bought my guitar 3 years ago and never thought about changing the strings.  I was waiting till they broke.  Then this year tuning was getting harder and the strings sounded dull.  Then my teacher started telling me about string changing times.  He recommended no more than 6 months for infrequent use.  Some musicians change their strings pretty often, but, since I am only a private player, I'll go 3 to 6 months.   Seth also taught me the proper string changing technique so I can do it myself!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

geoaguiar wrote:

Elixir Nanowebs for me... Light. But let your guitar dictate by what size it's set up for. I really have been happy with Elixir Nanos. They sound good and last longer. Unlike a lot of folks, I hate restringing my acoustics so longer life is better. I used to use Martin Marquis and still have some leftovers. If you're a newer player the Elixirs are kinder to your finger tips.

Elixir Nanos are what I use as well ... love em

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Elixer nano in Custom Light gage is what I keep going back to every time I experiment.  These are 0.011 on the E string and just light enough.

I've experienced much to much of a breakage problem with the Elixer g string and have sworn them off forever. My new favorites are Dean Markley Alchemy strings  - still working on which I prefer, the bronze or phos.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Acou … ings.shtml

I usually save the box and write the date installed, initial impression of sound, then the date when they are replaced, and thoughts upon replacement. I take pleasure in the search for the perfect string. Experimenting with different brands and gauges is part of the fun.

I buy most of my strings from the below site. Great prices, monthly specials, great service, fast shipping (free on orders over $35). Check out the Sound Room to hear the tone of various brands and makes.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I've heard that the Elixirs are good...but I've also heard that the g-strings breaks a lot (topdown seems to have experienced this).  I'm on my third set of strings since I started playing acoustic about two years ago and I think I'll continue to use the Martin Eric Clapton Signatures in a light gauge.  I don't know how long it's been since I put them on, but they still play and sound amazing.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06 ... how much do those run you ?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

LesPaulGuy wrote:

06 ... how much do those run you ?

About $5.99 a pack, depending where you buy them.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot