Topic: BAGPIPES

I don't believe there is a thread about bagpipes.
We all know the song AMAZING GRACE played using bagpipes
The most common used bagpipes are the SCOTTISH and IRISH bagpipes, although they were a lot used in old European countries, like Flanders (now a part of Belgium), Breton in France....
Because of the "British" Commonwealth countries, they are used as well in Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, India, and USA (forgot a lot of countries.
What I found is that the ancient Romans, Greeks mention similar instruments.

Is this instrument difficult to play?  And in times of war?
I can imagine that, considering the many battles in Scotland versus England that when you hear a few 100 bagpipes and drums, it must have been pretty scary.
WHAT KIND OF BAGPIPES ARE THERE, like the difference models in Scotland and Ireland?
How do they work? How do you play them? Isn't there a pipe used to blow air in the bag which is similar to a flute of clarinet, and where is the air leaving the bagpipe? THE DRONES? Bass & Tenor? WHAT KIND OF DEVICE ALLOWS YOU TO PLAY A MELODY?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BAGPIPES

Oh i love listening to Bagpipes..!  There's a guy who stands in the town centre where i live, and he plays them, and is dressed in full finery of Kilt, Sporran, etc.. I could listen all day..!  Even better is the summer carnival, when sometimes they have a band in the procession with about 12 bagpipers playing.  Amazing !

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

A few of my family play in the local Pipe Band. Pipers and drummers.

In the case of the highland bagpipie, first you must inflate the bag and then squeeze with your arm while still inflating by blowing, and fingering the chanter to produce the notes. The constant release of air through the pipes (drones) produces a constant low tone (usually round about the A pitch).

All of this explains why I opted for the guitar. All that squeezing, blowing and stuff all happening at the one time is way too complicated for me.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

The War pipes (the stand-on-yer-feet Scottish type ones) were banned in Ireland by the Engish on pain of death. They couldn't do that in Scotland as the Lairds who had treacherously sided with the English couldn't wake up of a morning without their whisky and the skirl of the pipes.

This Davey Spillane track is a wonderful example of the Uilleann Pipes that were developed so that we could have the bagpipes without the piper getting topped.

It's "Cuina Cu Chulainn" or Cuculainn's Sword - Cuculainn being a legendary warrior who saved Ulster from the hordes of Queen Mebh.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IjN7ZbnbicI

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Alan,
the pipes I tihnk were also banned in Scotland as well as the kilt if used for battle.

I love the pipes. allpipes, but especially the irish Uilleann pipes, they are quiet enough to play and listen to in a pub at a folk night.

I have quite a few cd's with pipes.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Although I'm sure it's a great skill to be able to play the 'pipes'. However, I'm over them after 1 or 2 songs. The continuous mono-drone starts to get inside of my head and a war begins with my sanity and my ability to control it.
No disrepect intended to any of you bagpipe finatics out there.

Give everything but up.

Yea, I have say after one or two bagpipe songs that's about the limit of my attention span, I do however enjoy "amazing grace" on pipes when accompanied by a orchestra smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I was 20 or so when I first sat in the same room with a set of Uilleann bing played. It was at a concert by the McPeaks (http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/mcpeakes.html ). It was a wonder to be introduced to a new world of music by such consomate performers.

I suppose that the fact that there are so few Uilleann pipers, and the pipes are so difficult to master means that, for me, it is a sad time when a concert of the pipes comes to an end.

"The continuous mono-drone starts to get inside of my head and a war begins with my sanity and my ability to control it."

Precisely why they were carried into battle !

AC/DC used bagpipes in one of there songs! 'It's A Long Way To The Top, If You Wanna Rock And Roll. Don't Know Which kind though. I didn't know there were different kinds.
                                                                                                             getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Theres lots of info about pipes on Wikipedia. There I learned that the uileann pipes are a relatively recent development and previously the Irish played something like, if not identical to, what is now considered the 'Scottish' pipes . But bagpipes are found in many other nations outside the Scottish/Irish tradition.

Some more detail is available here - albeit a little bit controversial on who introduced the pipes to whom.

http://www.doyle.com.au/great_irish_warpipe.htm

"Depicted in one of the panels on the High Cross of Clonmacnois (dated about 910 a.d.) is a sculpture of a man playing a bagpipe standing on two cats"

I wonder is the sculptor refering to the sound of the pipes here ?!

alansheeran wrote:

Some more detail is available here - albeit a little bit controversial on who introduced the pipes to whom.

http://www.doyle.com.au/great_irish_warpipe.htm

It's also debatable whether they should be thanked or not.

15 (edited by selso 2009-02-25 18:17:17)

when my father was stationed in italy, there was a detachment from cananda that would play the bagpipes on certain occasions. some of my fondest memories are of listening to theses gentleman play. according too a friend of mine who plays the pipes, the hardest thing about playing them is not offending people who dont like them. i dont understand why most dont have an ear for them. (no offense to south paw!) such beutiful, mournful sound they have. wish i had the time to learn how to play them. sorry so long and not to the point.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

A trip to Edinborough Castle for the Scottish Tatoo sent chills down our spines hearing the marching pipers play "Scotland the Brave"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5O0cDpEay8

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I've been playing pipes longer than i've been playing guitar, and I think that its kind of disappointing when your at a gig and the only song the crowd whats to hear is amazing grace when there is a slew of more beautiful tunes out there. listen to flowers of the forest, the moreen, lexie-bex, for example. i'm just ranting and lynyrd skynyrd might feel the same way about free bird. watch a youtube video of jack lee, 78th frasiers, or field marshall montgomery and i bet they feel the same way.

to answer a few of the questions above, Great Highland Bagpipes are the most common by far(used in the AC/DC song), and their from scotland. There in the key of A, but at like 470hz, so its sounds like Bb. The notes on the "chanter" aren't on the western scale, so the notes aren't really in tune even at 470hz, but their making 440 chanters now, so that pipers can play with nonpipers. as far as difficulty to learn, I took lessons for about two and a half years until I was able to play in a band and not sound terrible. also, you have to practice fairly regularly in order to keep up the endurance to play, unlike guitar where one doesn't suffer largely from not playing for a few weeks.
sorry about the long post~

HI Folgerc and welcome to chordie and great first post.

Since you mentioned ac dc using the pipes I can also add a bit of info since I just watched a 10 hour documentary on them last week.
Bon SCott ( bon Scot is short for bonnie scotland but he hated that and got teased for it so he sortened it) Got asked by the producer of TNT album about playing the pipes. He played a wee bit when he was younger so he said ok and played them for rock 'n' roll singer.
But not al the band were from Scotland, Only Malcom, Angus and Bon are scottish. OK 3 out of 5 I guess you could say that early ac dc were scottish then.

Another few great bands that use pipes are Drop kick murphys and a newly found scottish artist I have been told about and love... Brian Mcneill.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending