Topic: jamming

So far I have only played once or twice with good guitar players. Though I play often with a not so good fiddle player...my girlfriend. Everyone has been say the same thing "you know a lot you just need to play with other people".

I have been playing guitar for a year and a half, or two.
Should I look for people above my level and have them teach me while I play with them? Or should I get together with a group of people closer to my level and just learn together?

I Have looked on sites that have lists of jam sessions but it never has the kind of music I'm looking for. Should I suck it up and play something I don't really like playing? Or wait to find one that plays the music I like to play?

thanks
AW

Mandolin>guitar

Re: jamming

Hi AW - Something that has worked for me - keep an eye on your local Craigslist, maybe even post an ad. I hooked up with a local bass player that way and we have gotten together a few times for some great jams.

I'm in the same boat - playing 1-1/2, 2 years and need to find some way to step it up. Lessons would do it, but jamming with others I'm sure would be tons more fun.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Howdy AW,

Sometimes you just have to "bite the bullet" and play stuff that isn't exactly your favorite genre.  I know I have over the years, and have grown as a result.  What exactly I've grown into still is a mystery....LOL

But it is a real boost to your repertoir to be able to play with others, not just because of the interaction between players, but because of the different voicings and chord progressions you will encounter along the way.  When you are "jammin" usually there will be someone who is guiding everybody else through the music in their interpretation of whatever tune happens to be on the menu.  There will come times when you will be the one putting down the tune (something you really like) and everyone will be following you through it.  Everybody learns something from everybody else and you have to remember that most times the music will not be the same as you first heard it if it is a cover.  Things evolve and an old country tune gets reworked into heavy metal, or a classic rock number might be reborn as a folk ballad.  Sometimes it is a drag.... but sometimes it is magic!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think you need to do both.  When I was learning to play tennis, at the end of the "Introduction to tennis" section told us this.  I have used it in as many aspects of my life since as I could.

He told us, "Kids, you have now learned something and accomplished something by finishing this class.  To improve, you need to find people better than yourself and play with them.  To give back, and to ensure that there will always be a better player willing to play with you, you need BE the better player and help out others who haven't learned as much as you." 

So, be both an ambassador by playing with people who are learning the basics, and also a student by playing with people who are better than you.  This works best if you only go one or two steps better or worse.  I wouldn't expect to be able to sit in and play with Doc Watson, and probably wouldn't learn much from him because he is SO far advanced that I wouldn't have even a chance of figuring out what he's just done.  (No comment against Doc Watson, whom I have heard is among the nicest kind of people). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the advice. I really like playing with others and it seems easier for me. It is sill a matter of finding people. In my area, we have lots of metal and punk players, finding folk players may be a bit of a challenge.

Mandolin>guitar

Lone-wood Doug's advice is true.  You gotta play with others more important than playing what you want.  The others you play with will either help you learn what you shouldn't do or what you should.  Either way you keep learning.  I was at a party and the college kids there asked us to play a sort of country song we didn't know so we didn't play it.  Now that I've listened to it a while I realize how fun it is to play.  The same thing keeps happening so don't just play songs YOU like, play what someone else wants.

Steve

I would be glad to try play with those metal or punk guys, I would not have to worry about anyone hearing my mistakes!

What is limiting me is not really what songs I would like to play. It is how foolish I would look (and sound) playing an acoustic guitar with some of the local musicians.

I go to school in a town that is growing steadily more hippie-ish so I'm sure there will be more mellow players around there than in my hometown. Ill just ask around.

Mandolin>guitar

Hey again AW,

Know what you are saying there about looking foolish...  OK I'm 53 and a bit grey around the beard.  I used to think it would look funny, me playing something by.... Oh... Nirvana, Maroon 5, Puddle of Mud....!!  C'mon, we grew up with Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin,
Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, and that genre.  It ain't no thang!  As for the acoustic guitar in a rock band... look at Modest Mouse, Rilo Kiley, John Mayer.  You are gonna find at least one hollow piece in the woodpile... Nothing sounds like real wood, and sometimes no amount of wire and megawatts of power will give you the sound, that might set you apart from all the other metal thrashers on the planet. 

Dare to be different!

Take Care;
Doug

By the way stop by your local music store and see if they have a bulletin board... sometimes you'll find a lead on a jam group looking for another player.  I live in a College town and there are always folks new in the berg looking to meet up with like minded musicians.

lone-woodwose wrote:

I go to school in a town that is growing steadily more hippie-ish so I'm sure there will be more mellow players around there than in my hometown. Ill just ask around.

Find a park bench near where there will be young women walking.  Near a college campus is best.  You will find a man with stunning blue eyes, an easy smile, wearing long blonde dreadlocks and a braided hemp bracelet playing guitar there.  He is nice, a little stoned and smelling of patchouli, but nice.  He will play with you.  Be prepared to 'trade' songs.  He plays, you play, etc.  You will be welcome to play along on his songs if you can follow his chord changes. He won't invite you, you'll have to jump in.  I don't know what town you live in, but I can practically guarantee that this will work if your town is turning more hippie-ish.  Be ready.  That blonde dreadlocked guy is good. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Haha. nice. you forgot to mention the bandanna on his head though.

Mandolin>guitar

No Dude.... the guy with the bandana is me trying to hide the receeding hairline.  But thanks for the compliment Zurf, I really don't think I'm that good.

If you really like the folk music thing though... try a couple of the coffee houses near campus.  We've got a couple here that feature live entertainment a few nights a week and open mic sessions.  Heck there's a small tavern (kind of red-necked joint) that has open jam sessions on Thursday starting at 7:00PM.  All you gotta do is show up with your instrument and sit in.  Pretty good group of local patrons more than willing to share their opinions on the music and a really varied playlist.  We got farmers, loggers, bikers, lawyers, wait a minute that sounds like a really good lyric line..... darn that one's been done already!

Have fun with your music... it just keeps getting better!

Take Care;
Doug

You may also want to check out music clubs.  I live in an area with a folk music club.  They rent a back room of an establishment once per week and set up a small sound system.  They play for each other to work on songs, stage presence, etc.  After each song, they chat and critique one another - always done with a great deal of encouragement.  I've never played there but do enjoy going to see them.  Anyway, give it a go and see if there's a club in your area.

Doug - I wear a bandana much of the time I'm outdoors for the same reason.  Actually, I'm not hiding so much as trying to prevent sunburn.  My forehead goes all the way to my backhead.  And while you may not think you're that good, we all have our own windows on the world. 

- Zurf

I've only been playing 3 years, 2 years ago the timing was right to join a church band with experienced musicians playing contemporary Christian music.  In the past year I've played in front of over 4,000 people, fear of screwing up in front of that many people as forced me to get better in a hurry.  One of the people in the band is an elementary school teacher who is used to explaining music to 6 year olds, PERFECT!  Playing with those with more experience than you will get you better in a hurry, playing with those less experienced will be fun too, just find someone to play with. 

Relating to other musicians is one of the best and most fun things about the whole trip. 

BTW, the one other guitarist who had taken me under his wing had a mild stroke 6 months ago and I was able to fill in, he's back now good as ever, but boy were the other folks in the band happy I was there, me too. 

-Mike