Topic: South of the Border Strat

Are these Strats or "Strats"... Are they OK?

Dammit, Pearson, I miss ya!

Re: South of the Border Strat

As far as I know these are middle of the road Fenders, not as cheap as the Chinese-built Standars Strat, but less costly than a $1000 American Strat.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

3 (edited by arkady 2008-12-06 10:06:22)

Hi GreyHame
This link may help you decide http://www.shrublands.com/strat/ the guy compares like for like Mexican v American and comes up with some interesting results.
You get more or less get what you pay for strat wise but there are some exceptions...
I've a got Mexican (Silver Sister edition) strat and it looks and plays well.
Ark

I have a chinese standard so1 strat and it plays beautiful it cost me $165.00 without a case of course I had to reset the intonation and lower the action and a slight spring adjustment and for good measure a truss rod tweeking but the pickups are very active and the neck is fast and easy to navigate smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Tons, The link was very good!
smile)

I've got both and there is some difference but a lot of that is how much are you willing to spend. My Mexican Strat was at a Guitar show in almost new condition but was very cheap...I bought it and found that it just didn't sound right...I don't know why because my daughter has one that sounds absolutely great and I've seen others that also sounded great...anyway, it has become my project guitar. Currently it has a Seymour Duncan Lipstick neck pickup, a Carvin Middle, and a Seymour Duncan JBjr bridge and sounds great...I haven't had any complaints about the looks, fit, or finish and once it was properly set up it's a great playing guitar. It'll never retain the value (or collectability) of an American made Strat...but it's now a player!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks, cuz!

jaygordon75 wrote:

I've got both and there is some difference but a lot of that is how much are you willing to spend. My Mexican Strat was at a Guitar show in almost new condition but was very cheap...I bought it and found that it just didn't sound right...I don't know why because my daughter has one that sounds absolutely great and I've seen others that also sounded great...anyway, it has become my project guitar. Currently it has a Seymour Duncan Lipstick neck pickup, a Carvin Middle, and a Seymour Duncan JBjr bridge and sounds great...I haven't had any complaints about the looks, fit, or finish and once it was properly set up it's a great playing guitar. It'll never retain the value (or collectability) of an American made Strat...but it's now a player!

Jaygordon75,

You found what I try to tell persons about all the time your guitar is know a player one that you can go and be confident anytime or any situation you play it. In other words a go to guitar. big_smile

Bootlegger.

Hi, I've just joined (from U.K).

I've got a Mex strat had it about 2 years. It is what it is. I'm a lefty so might have had different problems from other guys but the standard pick ups were prety much crap. I got some Vintage Vibes for the U.S. and it now sounds great(Highly recommend these PUs). I play for fun and do a few gigs a year and have had no problems. Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting a decent U.S. strat as soon as finances allow but I'm not sorry that I bought the Mex and anyone who buys it off me will be getting a good enty level/intermediate guitar.

Thanks everyone!

jaygordon75----
Is it difficult to replace the pickups?  special toolz??

GreyHame wrote:

jaygordon75----
Is it difficult to replace the pickups?  special toolz??

It al depends on you skill level, if you can read a schematic's and solder than no. There are various modifactions that cal also be done as well as hotroding the existing components.

Good luck,

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger Guitars.

I wholeheartly agree with Bootleger...a few basic skills that are easily learned and some basic tools...lots of information available from the Pickup manufactors like Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan websites...lots of schematics available showing different combinations and variations of switching and phase wiring...there are a jillion ways to modify the existing wiring and switching of just about any guitar...the Strats are especially fun since they have three pickups to work with. One thing you can do is to obtain an extra pickguard for you guitar and equip it with switches and pickups as they become available (I'm always watching Ebay and guitar shows)...then next time you change strings then install the new pre-wired, switched, and P/U equipped pickguard and enjoy!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Some can discern between an MIA Strat and a Mexican Strat. I'd go with a used MIA, personally.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas to you all!!  smile)