Topic: Where is radio today?

Wolfman Jack use to be my favorite DJ. I found this very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOasL9PqK_M
Moderators, if this is too far off topic fell free to delete it.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Where is radio today?

Deadstring thanks for the look back I remember wolfman jack and he's right on in his assessment of whats happening in the music industry I hope more radio stations will get the message and stop playing all the homogenized tripe they pass off as music every song sound the same boring boring zzzzzzz smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I don't listen to the radio anymore. It wasn't an effort or boycott on my part. I just found it plain old sucks. I will occasionally listen to college radio. At least they still play what they want (be it good or bad) rather than what they're being told. I think the 50's was probably the peak (I'm a little too young to remember that) but for me 60's AM radio's collection of music was great.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi deadstring,I dont listen too radio anymore ,once in awhile a few oldies or some talk radio.Wolfman Jack was also my favorite dj , I got too meet and get his autograph at a car show in the ninties, too bad that he passed away.                          dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Radio is pretty much dead.  Corporate consolidation killed it.

There are two stations that I can listen to.

KEXP in Seattle, and there is another independent station in Austin Texas that is phenomenal as well.  Both stations still allow their DJs to write their own play lists, and they focus on local acts.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome....  Truth is truth.

All hail Clearchannel Communications!  The same old play, nation-wide, at the same time every day!

Fortunately there are those smaller stations running around with fewer affiliations that still have the power in programming held closely by the station administration and the program directors.  Those are the stations to seek out whenever possible and in that way continue to support the independent radio broadcasters.  As long as they have the following and the advertisers, they will continue to function and allow us to have choices.  Now for the disclaimer:  Yes I have in the past and still do some radio and TV work, but although I understand why the big boys are taking over... I do not necessarily support the policy of monopolizing any medium of information. (please don't fire me! I need the work).

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Everybody has to eat, babe!  Don't feel bad.  You can make up for you evil ways by helping the forces of good by promoting solid, independent radio.   tongue

Here's the two stations that I mentioned before.

KGSR in Austin, TX -  http://www.kgsr.com/
KEXP in Seattle, WA - http://www.kexp.org/

jerome.oneil wrote:

Radio is pretty much dead.  Corporate consolidation killed it.

There are two stations that I can listen to.

KEXP in Seattle, and there is another independent station in Austin Texas that is phenomenal as well.  Both stations still allow their DJs to write their own play lists, and they focus on local acts.

I though Video killed it..? Gotta luv the Buggles.. hehe... Sorry, couldn't resist...  my bad.. wink

......going to go and sit in the corner now..... quietly

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

9 (edited by evsynator 2008-12-03 08:40:56)

I think a lot of the downside of radio in the uk is also ( apart from big companies making it bland with to much advertising every 4 minutes) is the fact that that every tom dick and harry can go college and then work in radio ... as years ago it was the ones that fought there way to the top. We had Radio Caroline broadcasting illegally off the coast that changed this country to allow "pop" music . Now the stations are all clones of each other with presenters sounding like they rolled off a conveyer belt .

Just realised ... or biggest radio show "plymouth sound" is closing soon ... most people wrote in the local paper saying similar reasons to what I said and are thankfull its closing down and hopefully someone will take notice  etc... so perhaps its going full circle.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

I listen in my car, unless I remember to bring my cd's.  Basically what drives me crazy is the endless commercials, lack of musical diversity and more than a few DJ's that think they are the greatest wits. 

I would make a lousy DJ, since I wouldn't talk much except to introduce the tune or do news and weather.  As for the commercials, yeah, I know thats capitalism, but, I don't have to listen to it! 

Though I do have awesome memories as a kid in the mid to late 60's listening to AM radio and hearing some awesome tunes and some seriously good radio programs, like WBZ in Boston and Dick Summers (sp?) "Subway or Night Train" radio show. 

<sigh> Those days are long gone!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

www.pandora.com

This is what radio is.  They are selling music.  They are not hiding the fact that they are selling music.  They have devised a way for you to hear music performing in styles you tell them that you like.  Then they pick it from the entire www.amazon.com repertoire of available music.  They play it.  And they hope you buy it.  I have found several different artists whose music I will buy as funds for CDs become available.  I bookmarked them on the site so that I won't forget them.  It's a slick little device.  I wish it were available in my car rather than only being able to listen to it when I'm at my desk.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sirius satellite/internet radio is where it's at. It costs $12 a month but it's well worth it. You get Howard Stern and Bubba The Love Sponge in the morning and evening, respectively.(talk/comedy/pop culture/politics) And the music channels have just about any kind of music you could ever want, with almost NO COMMERCIALS, or annoying, overbearing DJ's talking over the music !!!!!
You get talk when and where you want, and music of any style whenever you want.

Give everything but up.

Pandora is pretty good Zurf ... I have that site bookmarked as well

SouthPaw41L ... I miss hearing Bubba ... loved hearing him when I was in Tampa and in Ft Walton Beach ... I always thought he was 10x better than Stern

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I'll have to check Pandora out as well!   Satellite radio is near the  top of the list of things that I want to get one of these days.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Pandora is pretty good Zurf ... I have that site bookmarked as well

SouthPaw41L ... I miss hearing Bubba ... loved hearing him when I was in Tampa and in Ft Walton Beach ... I always thought he was 10x better than Stern

LesPaulGuy,
  Bubba is currently in negotiation  to renew his contract with SIRIUS radio. I like Stern alot, but like you, I prefer Bubba over Stern. If SIRIUS doesn't resign Bubba and the Boys I'm gonna cancel my subscription. I really hope SIRIUS comes to their senses and pays Bubba his fair market value.

Have a Great Day,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Sirius satellite/internet radio is where it's at. It costs $12 a month but it's well worth it. You get Howard Stern and Bubba The Love Sponge in the morning and evening, respectively.(talk/comedy/pop culture/politics) And the music channels have just about any kind of music you could ever want, with almost NO COMMERCIALS, or annoying, overbearing DJ's talking over the music !!!!!
You get talk when and where you want, and music of any style whenever you want.

I tried Sirius..."almost" no commercials. This was my problem. It should be NO commercials. And I found any talking by the DJ's is annoying. And some of them are awful. The washed up MTV VJ's...ugghhh. I was hoping a real, interesting, diverse company would come up and kick their but with interesting, diverse programming. IMHO, Sirius fell way short on that account. I gave it a year and then gave it up. I think it's the right idea they're just getting away from what it supposed to be. For me, they became just like cable TV, promising but ultimately disappointing. Just one guy's opinion.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

The problem is, where you have a large audience, sooner or later somebody is going to figure out a way to get commercials or some type of advertising on satellite radio.   It's happened to public radio and television as government funding dries up.  And as costs and other expenses rise, the same will happen on satellite radio.  I know I'm a cynical old fart! 

As for overly talkative and legends in their own minds DJ's.  I loathe and despise them.  I want music, not chat.  I used to have dreams about being a DJ long ago, but, now I see I'd make a lousy DJ.  I don't like to banter or whatever over a mike.  I'd just introduce the tune and then shut up.

My memory is not what it never was but  I (think) I remember FM radio not having commercials when it first came out, or at least when they started making it an option in car radios.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

My memory is not what it never was but  I (think) I remember FM radio not having commercials when it first came out, or at least when they started making it an option in car radios.

Your not the only one, AM was the big place even in the 60's.  FM was the fringe place, then that got switched around due to the FM sound being better for music and clearer to recieve.

www.last.fm is also really good, and free.

Thanks for the link, I;ll be sure to check it out!