Topic: total new to guitar

Hi I am a total newbie to guitar Ican play a few chords but they never sound like the songs

Re: total new to guitar

Here's a good site for you to learn from berti:

www.justinguitar.com

You'll be playing songs in no time

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

3 (edited by alvee33 2008-12-08 16:21:47)

Got to agree with LPG. Justin has a great site for learners of all levels.

One of these days you'll be sitting strumming on a few chords. Getting quicker at changing and getting the chords to ring out nice and clear and all of a sudden BANG! You'll hear something you recognise.... one of your favourite songs..... and you'll feel like you are a guitar hero. The bug will have truly been lodged within you and you'll move on to other songs, and in time feel it all over again. There's nothing like it.

This WILL happen to you.

Practice as much as possible. Justinguitar.com has some brilliant videos with learning techniques, exercises and some easy songs for you to have a go at. Have a look and you WILL be feeling THAT feeling before you know it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Agreed Alvee ... I didnt get really "hooked" until I was able to play that first song and then something "clicked" and I got the bug ... I've been playing rock, country, metal, folk songs for the past 2 years and last weekend, for the first time, actually started playing "Pop" songs like Dido, Robbie Williams, Peter Gabriel, etc.

It's really suprising how far you will come along in a short time span ... once you learn open chords, barre chords, and power chords you'll be EXTREMELY happy

One recommendation is to try and not limit yourself to what you learn ... keep an open mind to everything ... find out what you like, what you don't like ... for me as an example, I'm not great at Barre Chords so I find ways around it by learning other chord variations and it helps expand your knowledge

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Try this channel as well http://www.youtube.com/user/beginnersguitar He offers strumming patterns for the absolute beginners. Best of luck in your playing! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

checked the channel. i like

http://guitarboost.com has some great lessons

They may not sound like songs now,but they will. Hang in there and soon you'll start to bring it all together.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Hi berti, the areas that they gave you are  all good places,you willpick up speed as you practice and the chords will finally sound like a song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

are you curently working on any songs or just trying to put random chords together?

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

i would recommend this site http://spytunes.co.uk/tunes.html

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel GarcĂ­a Marquez

Hi are you taking lessons ? I got into a local college which did group lessons which was very good value. It is also a way to meet other guitarists....which is a great way to learn.
Best advice I ever had was not to worry too much about how it sounds...that does seem a bit weird but what he meant was that with practice those chords will become clearer...just keep at it...and dont worry too much about how it sounds...see yeah

If its too loud yer too old.