1 (edited by Old Doll 2008-12-05 23:48:24)

Topic: Deaths and Paupers.

Death and Paupers.    Helena Donovan.

It’s quiet, but very strange, when I ramble through the range
Of the places where loved ones are laid to rest,
There’s all kinds of pretty things showing, great big urns and things
Adoration to the person laid in death.

You may have some granite stone, Swedish marble to surround
Your photo, cherubs and some statuettes,
Yes I have seen the change in the rambling of some graves
There’s a snobbery now even with our death.

There’s no harm in symbolism, but some graves they look like prisons
Keeping in what we know just can’t break out,
Even dead among the crowd, there's no pockets in a shroud
So enjoy it while you're living, spend it proud.

In a hundred years from now, When your line it has died out,
Your only light in life is solar powered,
From the paupers resting weeds I hear the Wee "Tee Hees"
Cos your earthy home's no different to his.

Memorials to the masses has snobbery in the classes,
Lived a lifetime but your choices still remained,
In life you had it all, but when God he makes the call
We're all paupers, back to dust is our refrain?.

IT'S QUIET AND VERY STRANGE,
IN THIS EERIE RESTING PLACE
WHILE YOUR HISTORY STILL PREVAILS
SPEAK TO YOUR LOVED ONES
THAT ABIDE NOW WITH GOD
WHILE HIS SERENITY CALMS AND SOOTHES
AND EQUALITY FINALLY RULES.

Phill Williams added this last verse,  { Great as always phill }

{My question was ! What kind of music would chordians put to these lyrics ? lol lol lol.}

Well the lol was soon wiped off my face! when so many took an interest in this piece! and offered to work on it to bring it to fruition

So now tonight i have a link here to allow all chordians see and hear just what can be achieved here on chordie.

To each and everyone here who took the time to contribute, May all your lives be filled with Blessings.

My gracious "Thank YOU" as always. everyone did a splendid job.

Old Doll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOSV_93wsk

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Deaths and Paupers.

Helena just off hand the voice of Boris Karloff reciting the words to the "Monster Mash" comes to mind lol it sounds to me like a sonnet put to music and spoken not sung,my keyboards on the fritz (broken) but if it were working I would have a "Arkady" type backing, ethereal, haunting and somber textured layers that he excels in, "Ark you up for a challenge"? smile I would have several members send me a voice only mp3 reciting the words and choose which voice sounds best to you and then just add it to the instrumental track smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by badeye 2008-11-14 06:41:57)

Hi Old Doll, your lyrics would be nice done like Chris DeBurgh's "Spanish Train" with the same or close chord structure. I tried it a couple times and sounds real cool. I like your words.

Badeye.. cool

PS: Russels idea is pretty cool too.

one caper after another

Russell_Harding wrote:

Helena just off hand the voice of Boris Karloff reciting the words to the "Monster Mash" comes to mind lol it sounds to me like a sonnet put to music and spoken not sung,my keyboards on the fritz (broken) but if it were working I would have a "Arkady" type backing, ethereal, haunting and somber textured layers that he excels in, "Ark you up for a challenge"? smile I would have several members send me a voice only mp3 reciting the words and choose which voice sounds best to you and then just add it to the instrumental track smile

Russ/Lena  smile
I would be interested in putting Lena's poem to music a in way that Russ described if any Chordains are up to recording Lena's words. Any one interested in such project?
Ark

As you know I am always game for anything so I have recorded the poem and sent it to Helena although the final voice over will have to be recorded over the music as it will be impossible to get the timing right otherwise.

On saying that, I record regularly and I am quite happy to let someone else do it. My feeling is that someone with a deeper voice than mine would be more suitable for this.

So if Helena wants to record it this way, why not send your spoken recording to her so she can decide whose voice fits the bill.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Ark I would be glad to make a test recording of a spoken mp3 of this poem and thanks for helping and I would suggest Doug could also send his because he has a natural deep voice and a little diversity of choice couldent hurt ......so DOUG come on down! lol

Russ/Roger
I'm thinking of making the music secondary to the spoken word a backing of sorts almost devoid of a regular chord progression which I hope will eliminate the problem of timing. I think I will be able to work around differences in tempo and length adding frills etc when required.
This is an experiment so anything can happen smile
and of course would have to meet with Lena's approval.

Russ an mp3 of the words would be great.
Thanks.

Ark

Hi Lena smile
Really image intensive lyrics you have written.They read like a black and white video imaging life/death values.
"Memorials in the masses has snobbery in the classes,
Lived a lifetime but your choices still remained."

Well done to You. smile

I agree this piece should be spoken or softly sung and although I am not fond of my voice I will give it a go if you like.Just let me know.

I know you are not Scottish but for some reason I hear a solemn bagpipe playing in the background and breaks. Just a thought.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Whoo Hoo,

To think i posted this for fun. "Well death can be to serious!    I do love cemeteries, reading all thats written on there.   I have been to many over the last few years. I heard a woman say once years ago " I wonder where they bury all the B#####ds!! lol
I did ask my Mam about this ? My Mam said " She { This woman}  had a very abusive Husband !! so that might explain her remark.

But i have noticed this change in them. { Cemetaries .. My own Dad was embalmed and is buried in a tomb rather then earth,

Long long story.

Now Badeye, i love Chris Deburg. I used to sing "Country Churchyard" at weddings. So im eager to hear your take on it.

Arkady! Thank You" you know  already i love your music   {Rope them all in lol

I have already heard Roger Narrating this piece. Lovely idea also. So strange to hear  his voice. I look forward to hearing more.

And now kap. Brill. i cannot wait for all this work. Spoiled i am.

No pressure now lads lol in your own time.

Jeez i think ill have a wee Bacardi to celebrate! Anyone one for a drink ?

Slainte to all.

Old Doll.

Ark as soon as I have a few minutes tonight I will put it together smile

arkady wrote:

Russ an mp3 of the words would be great.
Thanks.

Ark

Hello All,

I received this cryptic summons from Lord Russell earlier.... so I had to come and take a look!

Lets see, Radio, Television, Poetry?  Sure why not!  It's a narration thing isn't it?  Can I use my own voice, or did you really want Boris Karloff? 

Thanks Russ!
  Doug

And Helena, I'll try not to disappoint this time....

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

12 (edited by arkady 2008-11-15 12:41:25)

KAP54 wrote:

Hi Lena smile
Really image intensive lyrics you have written.They read like a black and white video imaging life/death values.
"Memorials in the masses has snobbery in the classes,
Lived a lifetime but your choices still remained."

Well done to You. smile

I agree this piece should be spoken or softly sung and although I am not fond of my voice I will give it a go if you like.Just let me know.

I know you are not Scottish but for some reason I hear a solemn bagpipe playing in the background and breaks. Just a thought.

Kenny

Hi Kenny
If you want to take part I would be pleased to get your version of Lena's poem and put it to music.
I hope you can find the time to do it my emails at the side.
Thanks
Ark

Hi

Sorry I'm only getting back to you now!. Id like to thank you all so much for all the  time you have given so generously. I love the music Ark had added. Whooooooooooooo, it really suits the piece.

All of the narrations are excellent.

Doug! i apologise to you"  as i havent a email address for you but Arkady
did sent me your message. Thank You" also for taking the time.
May i ask you Doug ! " When you recorded this line,

From the paupers resting weeds I hear the Wee "Tee Hees"

Did you change "Tee Hees" as i cant quite make out whats recorded
Sir. Maybe you can enlighten me ?.

Kap 54!! Where are youoooooooooooooooo : lol:

Badeye! have your petals wilted ?

A gracious Thank You" to all. I shall have it all sorted soon.

Angels round all your Doors.

Ark !!! Are you taking the Mick ??   lol It brought it all to life ???

God i nearly busted meself laughing at that one!

Old Doll.

"kap54 Where are youooooooooooooooo"
Excellent Lena lol Another good show from the 50's.
I am presently working out the musical end. Shall have it done soon for you. smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

15 (edited by Old Doll 2008-12-06 00:05:16)

IT'S QUIET AND VERY STRANGE,
IN THIS EERIE RESTING PLACE
WHILE YOUR HISTORY STILL PREVAILS
SPEAK TO YOUR LOVED ONES
THAT ABIDE NOW WITH GOD
WHILE HIS SERENITY CALMS AND SOOTHES
AND EQUALITY FINALLY RULES.

Phill Williams added this last verse,  { Great as always phill }

{My question was ! What kind of music would chordians put to these lyrics ?   .}

Well the  lol was soon wiped off my face! when so many took an interest in this piece! and offered to work on it to bring it to fruition

So now tonight i have a link here to allow all chordians see and hear just what can be achieved here on chordie.

To each and everyone here who took the time to contribute, May all your lives be filled with Blessings.

My gracious "Thank YOU" as always. everyone did a splendid job.

Old Doll

Last edited by Old Doll (Today 23:48:24)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 (edited by KAP54 2008-12-06 03:29:02)

A gracious Your Welcome Helena.
Your words inspired the music or it never would have been written,so a big Thank You from across the pond. smile

Also a big Thank You to Phill, Tony and Russ.We gotta do this again. smile

This a link to a true story concerning one of the graves in the video.Watching the video it is the grave marked the Donnellys.Notice the pennies for good luck and the chips from souvenir hunters.
This family was from Tipperary Ireland and fueded with another family from Ireland.After moving to Canada in 1880 5 family members were massacred in Lucan 20 miles from where I live .There have been many storys about this and a TV show called the Black Donnellys  mirroring the family as they were known as the Black Donnellys.
Here is a link to their history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Donn … lly_Family
Fascinating reading with many books.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

That's fantastic.

So, please don't throw any rocks, but when I read that in my head, the voice soon turned into Eminem rapping it.  It really does work in an urban context!   It's got that whole class warfare thing happening in it.  Rich vs poor, everyone dies.

Awesome bit or workmanship, regardless, Doll.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Helena,Ark,Kenny,Phill it was a pleasure to be part of this project,emails crossing the oceans, files soaring into space to a satellite and beamed on a stream of light carrying minuscule atoms of information morphing into a Melodie and collected and returned then fed into editing programs where they are dissected and transformed and rearranged into a final 5 minutes of thought provoking entertainment, and this is only the beginning.......

Lena, Kenny, Phill and Russ
Its great to have been part of this project that has turned out so well.
Lena's poem has provided musical insparartion to both kenny and I and has been very interesting to do..:)
Kenny has written and played a lovely moving piece of music and it was a pleasure to mix.
Phill's narration is excellent, measured and well suited to the overall feel of piece.
and Russ has put together a poignant slideshow which ties it all together.
All in all most pleasing..
Ark

jerome.oneil wrote:

So, please don't throw any rocks, but when I read that in my head, the voice soon turned into Eminem rapping it.  It really does work in an urban context!   It's got that whole class warfare thing happening in it.  Rich vs poor, everyone dies.

Jerome, I for one would be fascinated to hear your interpretaion of this. I know you have the equipment to do so, if you have the time, is it possible for you record this the way you envision it? As it appears that your version would be in stark contrast to what has been done it would make very interesting listening.

Roger

Helena, your words, as usual, are thought provoking and well crafted. Kenny, your music is great, the bagpipes and bell toll were an inspiration to compliment and enhance Helena's words. Phill your spoken voice is perfectly modulated and it's timbre fits the piece perfectly. Ark the mixing is spot on and Russ your slide show adds the finishing touch to this wonderful recording.

Well done to all of you.

Roger

Well now...Lena just sent me Deaths and Paupers on youtube..I dont get on the forum much but when I see something so imaginative and moving as this piece and the good, very good, work that all of you have done I was moved to put in my voice, I cant say enough and the compliments seem to fall flat but just to say GOOD JOB, WELL DONE doesnt seem enough.
I do think this should be entered into some kind of compition. If you havent seen this here it is.Wow I MEAN WOW..marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Roger Guppy wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Jerome, I for one would be fascinated to hear your interpretaion of this. I know you have the equipment to do so, if you have the time, is it possible for you record this the way you envision it? As it appears that your version would be in stark contrast to what has been done it would make very interesting listening.

Roger

Well, that would require me to rap, and of the few guarantees I can make in life, that you don't want to hear that is one of them big_smile

If you listen to a lot of hiphop, you can probably put it together in your head.   Run through they lyrics rapidly, with emphasis on the words on the down beat.  Don't pause between phrases.  And make sure you have the Eminiem channel on in your head.  It really does work, for me anyway.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi All,

Jerome,Thanks for your thoughts on doing this in a rap style.It would be interesting to hear as Roger says and I'm sure Old Doll would be tickled to hear it.Me......I'm glad you can't sing rap. smile

Roger, Thanks for your gracious comments.This was a real learning experience for me that I am grateful to be part of. smile

Marcalan, Thank You for your enthusiastic response. smile It is very satisfying to hear for me and I'm sure the other cohorts as well.As for a competition,I believe that should be left up to Lena as it is her words that inspired the project. Thanks Again smile

Kenny

In case any one missed the link to the one gravestone in the video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Donn … FamilyTrue Story and great reading.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

hi peeps

for my part, thanks for all your great comments, it was a great pleasure and honour for me to be asked by kenny to take part in this truly world-wide team effort. lena's words do hold a magic and it was a pleasure to put my voice on the recording. well done to all contributors, specially kenny for his haunting theme.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.