Topic: The Connection from my guitar to amp is off....HELP

Okay so,

I'm a fairly new guitar player but resently I've had problems with my amp connection. I find it will cut off and on randomly as i play. I dont know if its my guitar or my amp, I'm not really guitar savy. It would be great if someone could help me out. smile Thanks

Re: The Connection from my guitar to amp is off....HELP

Make sure that your connections are tight. There is a nut on your guitar where the cord plugs in that sometimes comes loose. There is also a nut on the amp where the cord plugs in that may be loose.  If those are tight and you still cut in and out, you may have dirty pots, and I do not mean pots & pans. The potentiameter is controlled by your volume know on the guitar, and you might try pulling the knob off and spraying in a little WD-40 into the little opening. I am not sure if that is good for the guitar, but I have been doing that for 15 years with no ill effects on my guitar.  Another possibility is that your cord between your guitar and amp may be defective, may have a broken wire inside of it. That is repairable, often by cutting off the tip of the cord and soldering it back on.  Cords usually go bad on the ends.  If all that fails, maybe someone out there has a better idea. Keep on keeping on!

klt_js08 wrote:

Okay so,

I'm a fairly new guitar player but resently I've had problems with my amp connection. I find it will cut off and on randomly as i play. I dont know if its my guitar or my amp, I'm not really guitar savy. It would be great if someone could help me out. smile Thanks

Hello klt_is08 and welcome to Chordie. Your problem could be a number of things;
-you may need to replace your guitar cable(cord)
-you may need to clean the contact points inside the plug on your guitar and/or inside the input on your amp
-your power sources (power cord from amp, plug-in source, ie power strip, extention cord, etc) may need replacing
-there could be some wiring inside of your guitar that is about to  come undone or is shorting out. If your plug in source on the guitar is loose, the wiring from the plug will 'twist' each time you plug in/unplug. After too many 'twists' the wire will break.

I always like to begin my troubleshooting from the guitar and work my have from there. (guitar, cable, amp, main power source)

Good Luck Resolving Your Problem,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thank you very much that helps!:)

Get yourself to your local RadioShack or other electronics store and buy some contact cleaner and a can of compressed air(no really). Use the nozzle on the air to blow a stream of air into both the guitar and amp jacks(this will help to remove any dust). Then spray contact cleaner into both jacks. Don't worry the contact cleaner has a high alchohol content and will evaporate quickly. If this doesn't fix your problem check your cord. Ay any rate this is good preventative maintenence.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

SouthPaw41L wrote:
klt_js08 wrote:

Okay so,

Hello klt_is08 and welcome to Chordie. Your problem could be a number of things;
-you may need to replace your guitar cable(cord)
-you may need to clean the contact points inside the plug on your guitar and/or inside the input on your amp
-your power sources (power cord from amp, plug-in source, ie power strip, extention cord, etc) may need replacing
-there could be some wiring inside of your guitar that is about to  come undone or is shorting out. If your plug in source on the guitar is loose, the wiring from the plug will 'twist' each time you plug in/unplug. After too many 'twists' the wire will break.

I always like to begin my troubleshooting from the guitar and work my have from there. (guitar, cable, amp, main power source)

Good Luck Resolving Your Problem,
SouthPaw41L

klt_js08

Go with paw's check list, first your cord, then your input connection, check for loose or broken soldered connections in your guitar. Be extremely
careful if you open up your amp, you can still get shocked if your amp is not plugged in and your transformer is still energized.

Good luck,

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

Thanks Bootlegger for mentioning the transformer inside the amp! I heard that some of those things can store enough energy to cause death if messed with! That's why this forum is so great...lots of really good info from all!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Again Thank you all very much, it really helped. smile

After you have solved the problem, the final step to ensure that it will not happen very soon again is to play "Stairway to Heaven."

Buy a new cable....? maybe...