Topic: Studio Day I

Man, if I learned anything today, it's how much I don't know, and that a good studio engineer is absolutely priceless.   We spent 10 hours in the studio today.  We have 2 fully completed tracks, and tomorrow we'll lay down the vocals to the other two.  Then they go to mastering.

It takes 8 mics to mic our drum kit.  I was plugged directly into the board.  I've played these songs a hundred times, but always on stage or in our rehearsal space.   After our engineer got done with the rough editing, I sat there in the control room listening and telling myself "Man, that sounds really good!"

We also got to plug our LP into the studio Marshal stack, which sounded phenomenal.

I'm exhausted.  Tomorrow morning at 10AM we're back at it.

I love this stuff.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: Studio Day I

I heard that Jerome!

Who'd a thought that making music was such hard work.....  perspiration and inspiration!  Not to mention (as you said) the engineer is surely worth his weight.  Lights, whistles, a good pair of ears, and the rest is pure magic.

Be sure to let us know how and where to buy a copy when you get the project completed, as it doesn't seem likely I'll get up to Seattle anytime this winter to catch you live.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

A big amen to that Jerome,I return to the studio next saturday and I can echo your sentiments, Most people are of the opinion you just walk in a studio and sing or play a part and your out of there in ten minutes with a CD in your hands...well its not that easy,and believe me its hard work to get a quality recording because altho you may think its ok (and this is because your tired of redoing your mistakes) the sound engineer rules,he will tell you when the track is good and wont accept a second best performance because thats his job and whoever records in a studio must understand this, and be happy someone is monitoring your output in your best intrests so when you do leave with a CD of your recording it will be your best effort smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

what i hate about someone producing your own work is they tell you what to do. You want t oplay it theway you want but yu are suppose to rely on the producer to tell you what sounds better for what you are doing, or what they think will sell and since they are supposidly the experts ye need to listen to them.
I would do a lot more of my own producing but i know I suck at it. But in my mind I know what I want. I should have went t ocollege to do a course on this when i had the chance years ago.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken I think before you go into the studio you have an understanding with whoever is producing and by producing I mean who's paying for the session, you sit down and talk about it with the producer and the sound engineer and hash it out and if you agree to let someone else pay for your recording time then he calls the shots,simple as that, and he would not offer to pay if he didn't believe you were really worth it. If on the other hand you are paying for the studio time then you have the final say but you must have faith in the engineer to point out your mistakes because this is what he dose for a living and most likely has recorded hundreds of artists so you have to believe he is correcting your mistakes in your best interests smile 

upyerkilt wrote:

what i hate about someone producing your own work is they tell you what to do. You want t oplay it theway you want but yu are suppose to rely on the producer to tell you what sounds better for what you are doing, or what they think will sell and since they are supposidly the experts ye need to listen to them.
I would do a lot more of my own producing but i know I suck at it. But in my mind I know what I want. I should have went t ocollege to do a course on this when i had the chance years ago.

Ken

yep Russell I totally agree with that but there are bands that have relied on the sound engineer/producer to make them a sound and has turned out terrible, but sounds good to the guy.
I have hear a lot of over produced stuff on tape/cd/album but when they play it live they do not get the same sound and thank goodness for that as their sound live is far better.

Take that robert plant and allison krauss album. I think that has too much effects in the guitar and I think this is down to the production. I bet when they play live it would have a slight echo/delay in it and would saound much better, and Robert Plant's vocals on that album have been tampered withtoo much too. He does not need this done to his voice but in the opinion of an enginneer he thought it would make a good sound. And maybe it does? maybe Robert and Allison lik it or they would not have agreed to it?

Hmmmmm, each to their own and all that but I think it is over produced as some other music can be too.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken I agree that the charts are replete with over produced homogenized bla bla(insert your own expletive) its a sad thing but there are radio stations taking a different direction and playing more interesting music by unknown artist who knows they may even give us a call lol

One of my most recent experiences in a "professional studio" was one of the most rewarding and educating times of my life. My hard rock/grunge/ metal/funkish/jam group ( Modulus) recorded an all original CD titled "Unlive". (Labrynth Studios, Clearwater, FL)

The drummer(Eric) and I are full-time working musicians, but the bass player (the Chris) and other guitarist (Jayson)had 'real' jobs. Eric and I nailed our parts first takes everytime( well Eric did on 100% of the songs, I had to 1 do-over because I got distracted staring at my wifes' breast area), but the Chris and Jayson weren't as rehearsed and Eric and I. They took quite a bit more time (than Eric and I) but we finished the entire 8 song CD in 45 hours total recording/mixing/editing time.

In addition, I had to go back and add main track doubling, 2nd and 3rd part harmony vocals on a few of songs. That was a bit time consuming but the end product was well worth the extra time . Our engineer (David)was awesome, he catered to our every artistic wish without indifference or judgement. The entire band was  pleased with the end result and very proud of our CD. We just wanted to have something for ourselves, family, and friends that just rocked to the max! We got our wish. One of these days, when I learn more about these new dummy boxes(computers), I'll try to download the CD like Russell, James, and Roger(and all of  you other 'smart' people) do.

Finally,  I absolutely love being in the recording studio. All of  you folks have to try it at least once! I'm serious... Home recording is a nice way to get your musical ideas on tape/CD/MIDI file/MP 9's ? whatever, but there's no substitute for the 'real thing'. One of my long-term goals as a musician is to  be a full-time studio musician. But not right now, the gigs are too much fun these days to give 'em up completely.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

southpaw I think what I like best about the engineer on my sessions is he's much like the one you were working with,willing to try different ideas and offering suggestions and very respectful of the artist so we gel and the results show it one more thing ego is fine in the studio behind a microphone,in fact its almost a necessity but when the track is done and you sit down in the control room and listen to it ego gives way to objectivity and reality because the recorder dont lie and a bad note or vocal mistake cant be covered up only redone till its either right or omitted,yes I feel the same I would also like to spend most of my time as a session musician or recording artist whats better? smile absolutely nothing uh huh smile

So day II was the last two remaining vocal tracks and then some rough editing.   This is the 1st time I've had to hear my voice outside of a stage monitor, and I gotta tell you, I have other favorites. big_smile  We've all got copies of the unmastered tracks and we'll spend a few weeks listening to them, taking notes, and then we'll get back with the studio with our comments for mastering and final mixdown.

WRT using a producer.  A producer can be a great benefit, as he has ideas and no biases, so as a disinterested 3rd party, can offer up valuable advice.   A producer doesn't have control.  The guys paying the producer have control, and in this case, that's us.   We used him as a valuable resource, and he contributed heavily to the recording.  It was worth every dime.

Now if we could only sing!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]