Re: Self taught or taking lessons

Ozymandias,
But, in the end all that matters is just playing and loving it.
I have to agree with ya, I'm no pro, thats for sure. I do it more for fun than anything else.
So rock on!!!
            getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Cool, I m directing that link to my favorites!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

getfiddle wrote:

Ozymandias,
But, in the end all that matters is just playing and loving it.
I have to agree with ya, I'm no pro, thats for sure. I do it more for fun than anything else.
So rock on!!!
            getfiddle

If it satisfies the soul, then it's all good.  ANything else is just icing on the cake or pure "profit" or pleasure!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Me  i`ll be self taught (cant afford lessons) picking up tips from of course the good folk of"chordie".. and  anthing thats floating around on the interweb, though i`l only be learning what i need to know,as a pick up my guitar only to relax and pleasure.
i waant to get that laid back i`l; fall over lol chillllllllll !

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I have a person who teaches me. If I attempted to learn to play by myself...it would have gone allllll down hill lol.
I've been playing for about a year, and I've made pretty good progress. I know most of the easier chords, like G, E, F, D, A, C, Dm, Em, Am, etc etc etc
But the lessons are helping a lot.

ScR3@m M3 @ 10v3 50nG

I hate when people call me ~&^young,^&~ just because of my ~$)age($~
Did you ever consider my ~#(Mind?)#~

Lesson are for sure the best way to go. Unfortunately most can't really afford that route, I know I can't. Even worse in this very, very bad economy!!!
                                                                  getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

tuesdaerawr wrote:

I have a person who teaches me. If I attempted to learn to play by myself...it would have gone allllll down hill lol.
I've been playing for about a year, and I've made pretty good progress. I know most of the easier chords, like G, E, F, D, A, C, Dm, Em, Am, etc etc etc

Ditto.  And I sure consider myself lucky that I can afford lessons.

ozymandias wrote:
tuesdaerawr wrote:

Ditto.  And I sure consider myself lucky that I can afford lessons.

My G-ma pays for mine. and my parents are fighting her on it, because its expensive and yadda yadda yadda. but i love them for it, 'cause I surely couldn't do it by myself.

ScR3@m M3 @ 10v3 50nG

I hate when people call me ~&^young,^&~ just because of my ~$)age($~
Did you ever consider my ~#(Mind?)#~

Well, I could probably afford them, but I just love to bowl....hunt....camp and those cost money also, so I try to split my time between them. And I can take my guitar camping!!
                                                                                                            getfiddle

35 (edited by ozymandias 2008-12-15 12:00:12)

getfiddle wrote:

Well, I could probably afford them, but I just love to bowl....hunt....camp and those cost money also, so I try to split my time between them. And I can take my guitar camping!!
                                                                                                            getfiddle

AH, I can understand that and that makes me curious about what  people's other interests are.

That would make a good thread. Kinda wonder myself.
                                                                          getfiddle

hi steven i used to listen to my big bro strumming to elvis ,jim reeves,val doonican ,and loads of other 60's/70''s songs,he'd tune with pitch pipes and play by ear,so i ask him to come with me to our music shop and he helped me choose a guitar ,then i went up his house every tues and he taught me the basics,i'd already got loads of songbooks,then after the weeks of sore fingers i started to get some decent sounds,i played for about five yrs then family life took over  ,then when i pickedit up again it was a bit worse for wear,i then brought a 99 pound  encore and a amp about the same price and a cheap pickup and made a bit more noise,my daughter treated me to an electric PAUL PIERRE 3000aaand then i found chordie ,after reading the posts songs started to flow out of knowwhere ,i wrote eleven in two days and now i get about three a week and picked up a style that suits me and 163  song later here i am still writing all thanks to chordie ....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Awesome

getfiddle wrote:

That would make a good thread. Kinda wonder myself.
                                                                          getfiddle

Maybe I'll start one soon.  The worst that can happen is it fades away, like my "What are you listening to now" thread.  <grin>

ozymandias wrote:

*snip*  Even playing Mason Williams "Classical Gas" (LOL) *snip*

Honestly, try Classical Gas. Not nearly as difficult as you think-that's my current piece to learn.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

*snip*  Even playing Mason Williams "Classical Gas" (LOL) *snip*

Honestly, try Classical Gas. Not nearly as difficult as you think-that's my current piece to learn.

Thanks for the encouragement!  That is a powerful incentive!  And much appreciated!

I'm self taught. I started with songbooks but then learned I could play by ear. Now I access Chordie just to help me accelerate learning a song.
A great resource for sure.

Original Songs on YouTube:   www.youtube.com/thegilsongs
Cover Songs on YouTube:   www.youtube.com/All1Song

I am still self teaching but i have used books and lesson DVDS. Anyone ever try playing Estebon style trying to learn? It's impossible.

dfoskey wrote:

I am still self teaching but i have used books and lesson DVDS. Anyone ever try playing Estebon style trying to learn? It's impossible.

Is he the guy who shows up on one of the shopping channels pitching his "signature" guitar and lesson plans??

ozymandias wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

Is he the guy who shows up on one of the shopping channels pitching his "signature" guitar and lesson plans??

Yes and i got one thinking it was a good deal but was i wrong. The lessons are not as easy to follow and the guitar is pure crap. I sold it.

I dated a musican over 25 yrs ago.  He was teaching me how to play.  We'd jam with his family, who all played.  It was great but I was at a very beginner level.  Broke up with him and never picked one up again till 2.5 yrs ago.  Walked into a guitar store, bought a guitar and signed up for lessons.  I'm going into my third year of lessons.  I have an acoustic and a electric now, amp too.  The lessons are definitely worth it if you can afford it and find a teacher that you gel with.  And since I don't have anyone else to play with and learn from.  I still use books, cd's and dvd's I pick up as well as the internet.  That internet, it's gonna be big someday.  wink

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Ozy, I was taught by Duncan Wood who showed me finger picking in a number of patterns, and some (little) classical, and strumming over 7 years every 2 weeks and I never thought my hectic schedule would allow it.  But it forced me to give that time to MYSELF.  I'm thanking him here publicly for giving the gift of music.  I'm on my own now but plenty left to learn on my own now having started at ripe old 40.
If your old time string band is interested see if you can get them to play "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show.  That would be a hoot and it has harmonies and multiple pieces for everyone to get a go.

dfoskey wrote:
ozymandias wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

Yes and i got one thinking it was a good deal but was i wrong. The lessons are not as easy to follow and the guitar is pure crap. I sold it.

My wife and I watched the shopping channel sales pitch and we both thought that his "signature" guitar looked more like something you'd hang on the wall as a decoration than actually something you'd play!  lol

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

Ozy, I was taught by Duncan Wood who showed me finger picking in a number of patterns, and some (little) classical, and strumming over 7 years every 2 weeks and I never thought my hectic schedule would allow it.  But it forced me to give that time to MYSELF.  I'm thanking him here publicly for giving the gift of music.  I'm on my own now but plenty left to learn on my own now having started at ripe old 40.
If your old time string band is interested see if you can get them to play "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show.  That would be a hoot and it has harmonies and multiple pieces for everyone to get a go.

Thanks and kudos to you for keeping on!   Also thanks, I will dig up that tune and see what happens! 

Peace

I'm pretty much self-taught using some chord books, and Alfred's Basic Guitar series.  Also I took some lessons from a local pastor who teaches guitar free of charge as an outreach of his church..  It's sort of frustrating though not having anyone to help me on an ongoing basis.  And being unemployed I'm not able to pay for lessons.

Blessings