Topic: good thread ozygetfiddle

Well Ozymandias and Getfiddle gave the idea. What are your intrests or hobby's besides
playing guitar.

I woodwork, hutches, drysinks, bookshelf's and such. I tell ya since starting guitar I really am
cautious of fingers while using table saw and band saw .

Badeye   cool thread

one caper after another

Re: good thread ozygetfiddle

This didn't take long.  Badeye, you especially want to keep your chord hand out of the way for sure.
I like to read and walk.  Not at the same time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I like to disapear into the hills in Scoland, up north to visit different bothies ( a bothy is an old house that is free for hillwalkers,climbers,cyclists etc to use for shelter. It has no electric or tap[ water, usually get a big log fire roaring while we share a bottle or two of whisky. Also usually no roads will take you to them, most are about 3 miles walk in on sheep tracks etc) I like to go walking through the glens, forests as well as climb the odd munro.

As well as that I enjoy being a dad to my two kids which takes up a lot of time. Oh yeah and being a husband, I suppose I better mention that in case she looks at this lol

I like cooking too, I love my kitchen.

I enjoy playing pool online.

I enjoyed helping people on chordie

I enjoy playing my Uke, madolin, jews harp.

And I enjoy  ermmm, ,  ehh well   things with my wife. lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

bensonp,
I would hope not, lol, Need to keep your eye's on the road while moving. When I was much younger [a child] I was riding a bike, and not looking up and ran into the back of a parked car!! How embarrassing! Not so funny then, but hilarious now!!!
                                                                           getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Yes, Getfiddle, we've all done some wierd things which we are able to laugh about many years later.
Upyerkilt - A cottage in the woods, a nice fire and whiskey.  That's what I want to be when I grow up, for sure.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My only other interest other then music and recording is Chess, I play corrispondence games with members of the chess community world wide and I have an extensive library of chess books,my latest additions are MCO 14 (modern chess openings) "my system" Aron Nimzovich and "modern chess strategy" by Ludek Pachman plus all of Bobby Fichers games and a host of other reference books,I ordered a tournament chess set from the chess store and the rollup green vinal board and pieces cost only $15 including shipping the squares are 2 1/2 inches and the king is 4 1/2 inches high, its the type used in all important tournaments smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

7 (edited by getfiddle 2008-12-15 18:40:03)

Chess ain't my thing. Never could get the hang of it, but I did watch a movie 'bout Bobby Fichers.
                                                                                                                               getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

- Mixed Martial Arts 

-Also, I enjoy sporting a tutu, heavy facial make-up, ballerina slippers and going  to biker ( Harley Davidson) shows . I have a really pretty, sparkly wand in hand and I  run around singing" I am the Harley fairy, who cares if my legs are hairy?!!!" This can be very  interesting at times ( I often get to practice my Mixed Martial Arts while doing this). ( shush!, my wife doesn't know about this one!!!)

-Next,I like to sample perfumes in the mall to see which one makes me sneeze the loudest and hardest. The pretty girls in the long white jackets rarely think my actions are funny and/or amusing.............My wifes' ears turn red when I do this( this means she's mad)

From time to time, I'll go to fancy restaurants and ask 'em how much they charge for Mad Dog 20-20, or Boonesfarm Strawberry Farm wine. Or what kind of ketchup they have to pour over the filet-mignon( and pronounce it  'fill-et  mig-non'). My wifes' ears turn red every time I do this.( this means she's really mad!)

Proudly, I like to give homeless people money whenever I have a little extra.( only if they don't ask) ( My wife smiles at me when I do this...)

Once in a while,  I go to the grocery store and the person baggin' my groceries asks 'plastic or paper sir?', I enjoy replying, "plasper", or "paystic".( My wife refuses to go to the grocery store with me anymore)

Finally, I enjoy charting how long it takes to see spots and bright lights while holding my breath. My record is 1minute 40 seconds.( My wife tells me to be sure to pay my life insurance bills!!)

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

**edited typo's 12-15-08**

Give everything but up.

I have an HO gage train set out in the shed. The Grandkids and I have a blast with that.
My wife and I like to go camping.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I enjoy paddling kayaks and canoes in rivers and streams.  Not as much in stillwater.  Nothing harsher than mild whitewater usually, but I surely do enjoy a good splash coming over the bow or having my kayak submarine and pop back up as I bust through the hole.  Most of my reading that isn't Bible study are river guides.  Others like detective novels.  I like knowing which side of an island to run three miles from the put-in even on rivers in states I've never been and never expect to go.  Studying a river map, especially one with historic data of former mills or Indian fish traps or whatnot, gives me great pleasure.  It's come in handy a few times.  I actually lead a trip down a creek that I'd never been on before - but I knew which channels to run and where to stop for lunch because I'd read about the trip in enough different guides.  It's a sickness. 

Fishing.  Any kind of fishing on any type of water, so long as it is sporting and uses rod & reel.  I won't gill-net or use trot-lines (except for survival, which I have been fortunate enough not to have to do).  I generally do catch & release and get involved in the health of the waters I fish as well.  My favorite is surf fishing I think.  One never knows what one will catch in the surf, but more importantly just the fishing is enough.  Standing in the surf and being a part of the interaction between sun and moon and having the crashing sound of the surf drown out the spinning thoughts in my head is enough.  More than enough, it's a true joy.  If I can look up and see a formation of pelicans skimming menhaden from the surface, or perhaps a few porpoise playing in the far breakers... well that's just icing on the cake.  Next favorite I'd have to guess would be fishing with dry flies.  Watching a big trout shoot up through the water like a polaris missile to hit a fly I've presented just right, well that's fun. 

Sometimes I get really lucky and I fish while paddling a canoe or kayak. 

I enjoy hiking, but get very little opportunity to pursue this hobby.  Last trip I took the mountain was foggy and it was like hiking from nowhere to nowhere.  Just keep walking and smelling the damp and seeing the twenty or thirty feet around me present itself and then disappear again.  That was cool.  It was like I was the only one around.  Like no one could bother me or ask me to interrupt my reverie. 

I enjoy camping.  I base camp out of my truck now.  I used to do the backpacking thing, but carrying one's home is a bit extreme if one is not a turtle, snail, or hermit crab.  Now I take enough for great comfort in camp, and then go off on day trips, usually camping alongside a river.  It's great fun to put in upstream and float fish my way downstream, winding up at the campsite, able to waddle over to my campsite and grab a cold beer and start cooking a hot meal before going back after my car. 

Biking.  I very much enjoy biking, but get extremely little time on my bike.  I prefer the kind with pedals rather than engines.  I used to race, mostly informally but in a few sanctioned events.  I was terrible at sustained speed, but I could go all day long at a more moderate pace.  And so that's what I did - started touring.  What was cool was when we could set up way-stations and stop at someone's house each evening, wash up and get a good meal and sleep in a soft bed, then go the next day another 50 or 100 miles to the next spot and get there just as exhausted and just as ready for a hot meal and a soft bed.  This part of my life is in the past, though I surely do love thinking back on it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

oh yeah fishing, I forgot that. And camping and survival stuff like making fire with no match or lighter, cooking basic foods over a fire an trying some edible plants wildlife etc.

I will start enjoying perfume sniffing thanks to Southpaw.
My record for holding my breath is not as good, mine is only 1 minute 17 seconds, So I must improve.

Ken

I've got my head stuck into some serious reading. It's a three year course on website administration.

When I finally qualify I will be able to join the other administrators on here and argue the toss about everything I know and lots of things I know sod all about.

Did I mention I write poetry as well?

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

In the summer, I spend most of my free time golfing. I spend a little time camping. And every now and then I'll play in a softball tournament...not often though, softball messes up my golf swing. I just realized that all of my summer hobbies involve a lot of beer drinking...weird...

In the winter, I'm generally pretty lazy because Minnesota winters aren't real conducive to a lot of outdoor activities unless you like to huddle inside a shack for hours on end waiting for a fish to bite. Some friends and I are starting up a Wii Bowling league soon too...hmmm...another excuse to drink beer. I also like to read books, and, believe it or not, I usually read serious non-fiction books. I just got done reading "The Audacity of Hope" by Barrack Obama. Great book...I highly recommend it.

I'm a pretty big sports fan year around. I always have a MN team to cheer for year around because us Minnesotans do actually recognize the NHL as a professional sports league. Skol Vikings! We're Gonna Win Twins! And I'm proud to live in the State of Hockey! Somebody told me that we have an NBA team in the state, but I don't think they've showed up yet...

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

14 (edited by ozymandias 2008-12-16 00:50:01)

Oh lord, somebody beat me to it!  LOL 

Well here goes, I am besides a music lover............a volcano lover, I am a volcano fanatic, I hunt down pictures, books, websites, etc, anything about volcanoes.   The book stores that specialize in geoscience books have a name for people like me, "Shake and Bakers".  I can tell you the old volcanic spots around the White Mountains of New Hampshire near where I live.
I and my family have visited some recent volcanoes in New Mexico.  Driven thru old lava flow sites near Spokane Washington.  And I am pretty damn sure I have the biggest Volcano and volcano related book collection in the the State of MAine.

Second, I am a devoted Star Trek Book reader.  The movies bore me to tears.  I'd rather read the book that the movie is based on, then watch the movie.

I have a complete collection of all the "Doc Savage" pulp fiction stories ever written by "Kenneth Robeson".  And I am also a devoted Dr. Who fan.  (British sci-fi tv)

And finally, but not least.  I am a devoted "dumpster diver" scavenger who goes to his local dump and pours over the potential scavengeable stuff for repair or recreation into something new.   My love is to take something and make it into a thing that I would have liked as a kid.  Ex.  I found a nice round wooden base, attached a cute little ceramic planter that had sun faces all around it.  I painted the suns bright gold and the bowl sky blue.  I painted the base a nice green color, then attached the bowl to it with craft glue.  Put two wooden posts with brass hanging hooks.  Glued several neat ceramic figurines of flowers and an old style water pump.  When it was done I called it a "Kids Stuff holder", then I gave it away to a local group that does a fund raising auction to benefit the local high school.   I have made hundreds of these over the last 10 years.  Sadly, ever since the "Antiques Roadshow" pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer.  Oh and along the way I have salvaged and refinished a number of old pieces of furniture for our own uses. 

I subscribe to Smithsonian, National Geographic, Earth, Science Illustrated and NAtional History magazine as I am a voracious reader. 

I also love to hike and make it a point to do at least on BIG hike a year on a peak that I have yet to climb.  Mt.  Katahdin in Maine was the most challenging and the most rewarding and soul satisfying hike I have ever done.  Oh yes, and I do a hike every year on or near my birthday.  9/13 

Argh, I nearly forgot, I am a big fan of the Fantasy/pulp fiction writer Robert E. Howard, (creator of Conan the Barbarian) and the horror writer H. P. Lovecraft. (The Cthulhu Mythos) 

<phew I'm exhausted.>  <grin>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I snowmobile around 2,000 miles a winter, and in addition to guitar, I play trombone in school jazz band.  I also enjoy listening to music, power lifitng, tennis, golf, and video games.  I enjoy lots of outdoors stuff, espeically watersports.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

I snowmobile around 2,000 miles a winter, and in addition to guitar, I play trombone in school jazz band.  I also enjoy listening to music, power lifitng, tennis, golf, and video games.  I enjoy lots of outdoors stuff, espeically watersports.

Maine is a big snowmobile highway if the snow conditions are good.  If your ever up this way let me know and I'll point you to the snowmobiler friendly places around here!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Since I retired, playing guitar and singing silly songs and blowing tuba are hobbies that pay money occasionally.
I am hooked on sailboats and would be on an endless cruise right now but for family obligations.
Motorcycles are fun for me. I finally got a decent one late in life (a 1976 Yamaha RD-400)  and I cannot get enough of it. I ride at every opportunity.
I am trying to get some speed going on bass guitar.
I am trying to be a competent carpenter and patient painter.
I am enjoying my only grandson - a 7 year old skateboarder who is bright enough to learn new tricks without busting his booty very often.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Singin'!
I love to compete and stuffff
smile

uhmm...I also like a little bit of piano and drums.
I skateboard, but i'm not very good haha =P
Fourwheeling. It's soo much fun XD

ScR3@m M3 @ 10v3 50nG

I hate when people call me ~&^young,^&~ just because of my ~$)age($~
Did you ever consider my ~#(Mind?)#~

Oh and one other thing, I am a rock hound.  I love to scan the ground looking for weird, funky or cool rocks.  I have a piece of basalt that looks like a dinosaur tooth.  And I love to visit the nearby gemstone quarries of the Greenwood Maine or Conway New Hampshire and dig thru the old quarry tailings to see what I can find.  My daughter has found lots of garnets and even a piece of Amethyst in and around our house.  Some of the mountain rivers and streams have given me the best rocks for landscaping. 

Did I mention I was weird!  <grin>

charlotte wrote:

I've got my head stuck into some serious reading. It's a three year course on website administration.

When I finally qualify I will be able to join the other administrators on here and argue the toss about everything I know and lots of things I know sod all about.

Did I mention I write poetry as well?

lol

Yea I have seen some of your posts, yer ok, ye can join in you have proved already you know sod all lol

but seriously, ....na, lets not be. lol

Carry on your silly comments and see how far you get with them.

Motorcycles, bicycles, cars, snowmobiles-I like motors. Also photography and writing, although writing leads back to music.

Do other instruments count? I also play bass, alto saxophone, piano, drums, and I'm reasonably competent on the violin.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:

Motorcycles, bicycles, cars, snowmobiles-I like motors. Also photography and writing, although writing leads back to music.

Do other instruments count? I also play bass, alto saxophone, piano, drums, and I'm reasonably competent on the violin.

My teacher plays mandolin, teaches violin, plays piano, slide guitar etc.  I would certainly say other instruments COUNT big time.

It's always about the music!  <grin>

The mandolin is something I've never tried-I'd like to, though.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

My girlfriend has a mandolin, I don't know how to play it and neither doe's she, but I've messed around with it and I have to say I could definitly get into it. It's such an awsome instrument!
                                                                                                                            getfiddle

This could be a fun thread, so here's my contribution....

Recreational and educational reading (I could include hanging out on Chordie as part of that)

Advanced Culinary Arts (I like good eating, so I am a good cook)

Outdoor activities, (hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, motorcycling, mountain-biking, canoeing)

Antiques Restoration (furniture and such, musical instruments, autos)

For awhile I was training for the Olympics in anticipation of Scotland gaining Host Status.  Single Malt Consumption in the     Middleweight Division.  Sadly the event was rejected by the IOC.

Happy Christmas Everyone!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare