Topic: Not music ,but it is an artform

My home town of London Ontario Canada over the past few years has started a program to  promote tourism and beautify the core and surrounding area of the city (population 360,000).I think it is really a cool thing they are doing.
London's known as the "Forest City" ,we have many big old trees in the core and area that are dying or past their prime and need to be cut down.
Instead of cutting them down they have combined forces with Stihl (manufacturers of chainsaws) and area artists.They leave 10-15 feet of the trunk left to do their "Tree Carvings" and their work is beautiful.Left out in the public for all to enjoy.
Why take down the whole tree if you don't have to.
Enclosed link to pics of most of the carvings which will grow every year.
My favorite is one that is not listed.I believe the family that had it done had lost their young daughter and it is a memorial to
her.I will take a pic of it and post it if anyone is interested.
An interesting project for any city.
Click on the pics for a larger image.
Enjoy smile

Kenny
http://www.londontourism.ca/treetrunktour/

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: Not music ,but it is an artform

Kenny, this is some very cool stuff.  I would love to see these in person - walk around them, touch the wood, meet the artists.  I would also really enjoy watching the whole carving process.  This is the sort of stuff that fires my imagination - thanks!  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

wow! kenny this is some nice artwork I think marcalan would love to see these thanks for including the link smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Love the idea of using trees as art rather than cutting them down!

We have a "Forest of Belfast" project that includes an Art in the Park programme that provides sculpture in our parks. One or two of them were cut from dead trees, but most were made elsewhere and then erected. It's a bit ironic calling it the Forest of Belfast as Northern Ireland is the most de-forested part of europe. You can see the sculpture in this PDF.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/parksando … hepark.pdf

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Cool idea there Kap, In Truro, Nova Scotia, the town has done the same thing with there old
trees. They have about ten pieces around town. London is a real nice city, spent a week there
back in 1986, I remember the large trees around the city. Once I tried a chainsaw carving with
real poor results, it turned into firewood, lol.

Take Care...   Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Very Cool indeedy Alan and badeye.

Real good pics from Ireland Alan.Artistic works left out for public viewing should be mandatory.
Sure do wish I could carve like that. smile
Thanks for the link.

I've was through Truro back in the 80's-90's badeye and I am planning to visit P.E.I. this summer if all goes well. Definitely going to stop in Truro to admire the artwork. I found this one pic and will look for more. smile

Kenny
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbmac/2708862008/

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ken,
That is the coolest. Thanks for the link. What a great place that must be to live. And props to Stihl for sponsoring such a thing. It's nice to see a company with a marketing approach that exudes creativity and dignity.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Great post Ken ,I love trees been planting them on my bit of land for 15yrs now..Glad to
                        see some city planners using there heads for once .Alas my chainsaw
                        just makes logs for the woodburner smile

That is the neatest idea.  Thanks for sharing it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Unless properly set up, your average chainsaw should not be used for attempts at carving!  Voice of experience here.  The grind on the chain is different than for crosscutting and "kick-back" from a dull or too deep tooth is nothing to sneeze about.  I have a friend who took a try at it in his yard one afternoon and wound up with the bar against his neck just below his left ear.... I visit him annually on Memorial Day. 

Be Safe!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Great Point Doug
As beautiful as the artwork is this type of art should only be created by a person that is extremely qualified at operating chainsaws.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I love chainsaw carvings.
When I worked in a garden centre the manager knew a guy from Dumfries in Scotland, Rodney Holland. He asked him to come along to a fundraising event we were doing for the ex -servicemen.
He came along and made fantastic stuff with all different types and sizes of chainsaws.
I forgot all about him until I read this post. That made me look up to see if Rodney had a site and guess what......

http://www.chainsawcarving.co.uk/

amazing some of the stuff he does. There is a gallery and even a video of him carving an eagle so you can see him in action.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Very Cool Link Ken.
He did fabulous work in the video.The eagle must have taken quite a bit of time and thought to complete.Lots of cool pics in the gallery to.
Thanks for this. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey this is great ..Lena had sent this to me also...Fantastic work by this duo..I'm a bit familiar of the joys of this art..as you can see on myspace pictures..Might be a good place for me to live but I think just a tad to cool for my thin blood..marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.