Topic: All Hail the Mighty Fix-It Man

I have a few days off from work, so I shall finally get around to several repair jobs around the house - not the most exciting stuff, but needed and satisfying in it's own way.

Since we have relatives coming for Christmas visits, it is important 'The Mighty Fix-It Man' gets here before Santa arrives . . .

Anybody else in the same situation?

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: All Hail the Mighty Fix-It Man

I'm up to my neck in paint and wallpaper. I can play six guitars, a trombone and balance a piano on my head all at the same time but can I paint a straight line.......OH NO!

Stuff the house, let Santa sort it when he comes.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

hahahahahahahaha, two funny posts, just what i need after a busy day at work.

Then i come home to an empty house as my wife has ( I tihnk I  have said this before) gone with te kids on holiday .
so, I am not fixing anything. Instead I am having a massive tidy up. Iwent nto the kitchen last night for a coffee and I noticed a bowl in the basin needing washed, this led me to be in there for about 2 hours cleaning every part of the kitchen, tomorrow I will tackle all the cupboards, tonight I am going to belt out some new AC DC tunes and do he same to this living room, now the kids are not here I can get everything back to the way I like it, for a week at least, then it is christmas day or Messy day as I like to call it here.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It's a brave man that will go in the kitchen cupboards let alone clean them!

Have you seen the stuff they keep in there.

Listen to a wise old man, DON'T DO IT!!, you'll be on the streets when she gets back.

This is not a joke, it is deadly serious, it's ruddy cold out there.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Kitchen cupboards and drawers - looks to me that ours are full of junk.  Seems like somebody should go through it all and discard all the unused bits.  However, I am going to take charlotte's advice and leave it all alone . . . the kitchen is my wife's domain.

Ken, keep up the cleaning - but messing with what is in the cabinets and drawers is very dangerous stuff.  Better to go scrub the bathroom and wash windows and vacuum under all the furniture.

I've got to fix a broke window now - hopefully I won't make it any worse!

As most of you know I live, with my cat, in a caravan and she is not bothered what the place looks like so you can imagine what sort of state it gets into. For reasons that are not relevant here I have had to keep the place clean and tidy recently and I have discovered that I absolutely hate housework.

Ken you must be a martyr.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Let me guess... the avon lady is comming over with some tupperware? your being audited? a long lost relative is dropping by? you only do this once a year LOL lol

Roger Guppy wrote:

For reasons that are not relevant here I have had to keep the place clean and tidy

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Let me guess... the avon lady is comming over with some tupperware? your being audited? a long lost relative is dropping by? you only do this once a year LOL lol

Roger Guppy wrote:

For reasons that are not relevant here I have had to keep the place clean and tidy

Sounds to me  like a new 'kitty cat' might be droppin' by?!?!  ;>}

Meow,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

charlotte wrote:

I'm up to my neck in paint and wallpaper. I can play six guitars, a trombone and balance a piano on my head all at the same time but can I paint a straight line.......OH NO!

Stuff the house, let Santa sort it when he comes.

Hey looks like your busier than a one armed paper hanger , with the crabs, thats busy.

hang in there... Badeye   cool

one caper after another

this post has really turned out to bring tear to my eyes. Tears of laughter!!

Roger I am no martyr
and james and everyone else the kitchen shoul be a man's place.
We can ( or I can) cook better than my wife and probably every other female that does not get paid for cooking lol

c'mon women tell me I am wong..... ( eh no dont lol )

I love my kitchen. upto about a year ago I done the majority of cooking for my family, now it is about half. My wife can do a realy ood.......eh......erm..... well she can do some things and I will eat them and love them but I am more creative. Anyway, for cleaning I do believe a woman will clean more than the men in general but when a guy does it he does a more thourogh job. Maybe because males in general are not used to it and we think we have to get into every wee corner of the house???? I believe this should be done all te time (( take note women_  lol

OK, I have had a bottle of wine and I thin kit is now time to shut up lol

Ken

11 (edited by badeye 2008-12-18 21:56:59)

Hang in there, Ken I always wanted to be a short order cook,but was too tall, anyway I cook only if I have to, my wife is the cook I do the dishes. works for me. As for cleaning I'll go to the farthest corners,If I have to.  Like Red Green say's  "I'm a man and I can change, if I have to"  [ Red Green is a canadian comedy show on TV}

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

lol
good reply badeye,
but tell yer wife to step aside and get in that kitchen and cook a dinner, anything you know you can cook, and you will enjoy it, so much you will want to do more.Let her do the washing up!.

or just carry on what yer doing if it works for you lol

cheers
Ken

Ken, I worked as a short order cook many years ago.  I had my grill and ovens and my tools all just how I wanted them.  It was a little cafe where we did a big breakfast rush every day.  I wasn't the only cook there - but there was only one cook per shift.  We each had our preferred way of doing things.

It was an alright job - I liked the fast pace and the challenge of keeping up with all the orders - it was fun.  But I hated smelling like grease all the time.  The kitchen/fry smell was inescapable even after bathing and changing clothes.

Nowadays, I'm more than happy to let my wife do the meals.  She has all her stuff just how she likes it - to me it makes absolutely no sense where she puts things.  However, if I went in there and "fixed" it, she would make me suffer mightily for disrupting her world.

By the way - that window is still broken . . . but I have made some progress on a little blues song about Molecules (I figure its the only way to write a song about 'Everything').

sorry james and badeye but i do not see a short order chef as being a good home cooker/chef.

All these orders in cafes, roadside stops, maac D's etc just not the same as getting the herbs/spices and getting mash potaotes to perfection and knowing when to take the T bone steaks of the heat or how long to boil a haggis until it is perfect,lol

home cooking will always be superior to any cafe or even most hotels with top chefs in them.

if you two want to stop by I will do you a 4 course meal that you will think you would only get in a high class restaraunt yet there is nothing high calss about it, just delicious well cooked food.

I just realised, I never thought I was big headed about anything........ Now I have to rethink lol

I love my cooking

Ken

Hey Ken, I turned on the microwave yesterday, all I could get was cooking shows. Your right nothing like a home cooked meal.I can do a good breakfast tho.

good nite sir.. Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Well this thread has gone all the way around.... but just to keep Ken laughing (while in a mood to).

A short story.... about 35 years ago when my wife and I were just getting aquainted, I made the mistake of cooking her dinner one evening.  Having been a pretty good cook since about my eighth birthday, I put together a little mix of Persian and Greek cuisine which was common fare in the region of the world I grew up in.  It was nothing special to me, but intimidated her to the point that she was so concerned that her cookery would wind up as dog food that it almost gave her a nervous breakdown.

Now I need to clarify that she cannot burn water... but has tried on more than one occasion, and is a passable cook.  At that point we made a pact that as long as I did the cooking, she would clean up after.  I'm still keeping up my part of the bargain, but she has been bit slack on her end of the agreement.  I do more of the cleaning at least in the kitchen, because I would like to think that if one was to eat something that I had prepared, it would be somewhat better than a bullet to the brain.

Men belong in the kitchen at least part of the time because we are not afraid to toss things together in surprising new ways, and
if it is less than spectacular.... no one thinks less of you for the attempt.

Take Care and keep Cookin'
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

"But I hated smelling like grease all the time."

Check this out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … logne.html

They're clearly looking for a Xmas headline.

There was a time when I used to cook for hours and enjoy it - tagines ( your breakfast sounds wonderful Doug !), rogan josh, chicken etouffe etc, etc. But I went and discovered the guitar and now her indoors says I have lost my cooking gene!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

I with upyerkilt on cooking with fresh herbs/spices. I'll have to add fresh veggies to the list as well. There's just no substitute for these aforementioned items in a well cooked meal.

When my wife and I first met, everything she cooked was straight out of the box, and mostly all yellow(or one color). I turned her on to some quality cooking shows and being the fast learner that she is, she now cooks almost as good as me. (haha) Just kidding, she's the main chef, I'm her assistant now.
    I approach cooking similarly to the way I approach music(performing). Fresh herbs/spices/vegetables(= quality instruments), decent quality meats with proper seasoning(= amps and effects), watched lots of cooking shows to enhance kitchen skills(=practicing guitar, piano, percussion, harmonica, and voice). Add all of these elements together and more times than not ,the food on the plate is a sucess with the entire family!

Badeye, I used your 'short order' joke at my gig last night. Some smarty pants replied, 'they'd uh let you cook on your knees!?' I guess the local loony ben had a field trip last night!?!?...............haha

Peace and Guitars and Garlic and Basil and Red Onions and Eggplant,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I'm 3/4 way through doing a 2 floor extension on my house.  New kitchen and garage as well.  upstairs gets a new bedroom, walk in dressing room and an en suite.

It's a self build  :-(

Kitchen and dining room just done in time for the big day....bedroom can wait 'till next year!! 

Happy Christmas to you all.

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Hi Pat,
That is a very ambitious addition to your house . . . congrats on getting the kitchen and dining room finished!  I have lived in houses I was renovating and I know how stressful it can be - the joy of building tends to get overwhelmed by the reality of just how much there is to do.

I have been cleaning today.  Sweeping, scrubbing, scraping, scouring and such.  Stuff is looking better . . . our guests might actually be fooled into thinking we are not slobs.  Our home is not filthy - it's just lived in and real.  This song I wrote a while back sort of sums it up:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4703

Anyway - to all our chefs, Gentlemen I salute you!  I have neither the patience or skill to prepare delicious meals.  However, I am always appreciative of meals that anybody else has prepared . . . I will gladly do the scullery work but my cooking skills are minimal.

OK - back to cleaning . . .

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I with upyerkilt on cooking with fresh herbs/spices. I'll have to add fresh veggies to the list as well. There's just no substitute for these aforementioned items in a well cooked meal.

When my wife and I first met, everything she cooked was straight out of the box, and mostly all yellow(or one color). I turned her on to some quality cooking shows and being the fast learner that she is, she now cooks almost as good as me. (haha) Just kidding, she's the main chef, I'm her assistant now.
    I approach cooking similarly to the way I approach music(performing). Fresh herbs/spices/vegetables(= quality instruments), decent quality meats with proper seasoning(= amps and effects), watched lots of cooking shows to enhance kitchen skills(=practicing guitar, piano, percussion, harmonica, and voice). Add all of these elements together and more times than not ,the food on the plate is a sucess with the entire family!

Badeye, I used your 'short order' joke at my gig last night. Some smarty pants replied, 'they'd uh let you cook on your knees!?' I guess the local loony ben had a field trip last night!?!?...............haha

Peace and Guitars and Garlic and Basil and Red Onions and Eggplant,
SouthPaw41L

Good one Southpaw, be sure to tell them if your driving home, don't forget your car. he he.

have a good one.....  Badeye cool

one caper after another

Wearing meat scented cologne should make someone very popular with the family dog.
My wife loves me today because I was able to repair the roof on our houseboat. I plan to milk that gratitude for all it's worth.
I have a few items I can cook well-usually on the grill.
The family calls me "Grillzilla".

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I dont know about fixing but I'm real good at taking things apart to see whats inside but I always forget how to put it back together lol as far as cooking go's I am a good cook for myself because I have to eat it and I like a variety of foods my best dish is to put a frozen pizza in the microwave for 3 minutes on reheat while the electric skillet is preheating at 350 degrees and just slide the pizza into the pan and season it with oregano,onion powder,and garlic powder cover it and five minutes or less Presto! dinners served no mess to clean up and its yummy and perfect for watching tv or chatting on google lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

YIKES.   I think my wife may have read this thread, cause tonite we are having a X-mas tree
decorating kitchen jam party and she put me in charge of the food. The Crash Helmut Jug Band will be here with all their ladies and a few more musicians in our big kitchen. I'm going with finger food, Cracked pepper and sea salt chicken wings, sweet and sour meatballs, veggie tray, baggette bread stick. that should do the trick. yikesyikes. maybee tequila shots. hee hee.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Yesterday was recovery day from tequila shots. the food was a hit and the music was great.
we started out with about 8 Beatle songs and played till 4 in the morn. Most people stayed the nite and in the morn I made a big breakfast for all. There was 25 people in the kitchen and I'm glad it is a big kitchen. All hail the mighty fix it man / cook/strummer. Can't wait for the next one. I need a nap,  he he .

Badeye  cool

one caper after another