Topic: An Unexpected Christmas Box!

Hi, to all at Chordie,
                             Here's my problem, as I've said in a past thread, I just can't get the,
hang of using a pick. When I use one it sounds like a bag of cats being strangled, and as if
someone had attached me to a loud speaker system, the Decibels rise Exponentially.
Now when I use the Acoustic, or the Electric-Acoustic, I was happy enough with my thumb.
However, I found out (Quite by accident: I swear?) that my two daughters have bought me an
Electric-Guitar for Christmas, It's a Tanglewood, based on the Strat Design. So I went to my local music shop and tried one, it sounds horrible using just the thumb. So has anyone any
advice on how I can learn to use a pick.  Is it just a matter of practice, or is there a Knack
to it that I am missing. I have tried different types of grip but I just can't get it.

On a happier note, [I Hope] i have been asked to play and sing Silent Night, on the Acoustic
at our Church Christmas Eve Service; the Minister called one night I was giving an impromptu
show at home. This will be the first time I have played in front of anyone other than my
famaily. At first I refused, but my Grandchildren baddgered me till I said yes. I thought well    they won't kill me, [At least I hope they won't, I have visions of being thrown to the lLions,]
and at worst I won't be asked back next year. On, one hand I am looking forward to it on
the other hand I think I will be addicted to nerve tonic by the time it's over.
Any help will be thankfuly received about the pick I mean..
For those chordiens going away for Christmas have a good holiday and be safe.

Sorry about the long post?

Luck and Health to all!!!

Re: An Unexpected Christmas Box!

Go to you tube and look for video's on guitar lessons. There's bound to be something on there. If not then sign up and ask. Someone will probably post one. Hope this helps.
                                                                                                           getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

The best way to describe how to hold a pick is with a photo video or drawing but let me try to explain, (assuming your right handed) your four fingers point down at the strings and your thumb lays across the first finger at a 45 degree angle in between is the pick you dont grip it tight just tight enough to hold on to it and as you strum the strings you will feel you have to grip it a little tighter but not much to hold on,it takes a little practice but its not that hard to learn and dont worry about singing in front of a church audience im sure they will make you feel right at home and enjoy your performance just believe in the words your singing and let the spirit take over,you'll be fine smile 

Headcase wrote:

Hi, to all at Chordie,
                             Here's my problem, as I've said in a past thread, I just can't get the,
hang of using a pick. When I use one it sounds like a bag of cats being strangled, and as if
someone had attached me to a loud speaker system, the Decibels rise Exponentially.
Now when I use the Acoustic, or the Electric-Acoustic, I was happy enough with my thumb.
However, I found out (Quite by accident: I swear?) that my two daughters have bought me an
Electric-Guitar for Christmas, It's a Tanglewood, based on the Strat Design. So I went to my local music shop and tried one, it sounds horrible using just the thumb. So has anyone any
advice on how I can learn to use a pick.  Is it just a matter of practice, or is there a Knack
to it that I am missing. I have tried different types of grip but I just can't get it.

On a happier note, [I Hope] i have been asked to play and sing Silent Night, on the Acoustic
at our Church Christmas Eve Service; the Minister called one night I was giving an impromptu
show at home. This will be the first time I have played in front of anyone other than my
famaily. At first I refused, but my Grandchildren baddgered me till I said yes. I thought well    they won't kill me, [At least I hope they won't, I have visions of being thrown to the lLions,]
and at worst I won't be asked back next year. On, one hand I am looking forward to it on
the other hand I think I will be addicted to nerve tonic by the time it's over.
Any help will be thankfuly received about the pick I mean..
For those chordiens going away for Christmas have a good holiday and be safe.

Sorry about the long post?

Luck and Health to all!!!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Good luck with the church sing a long headcase!

I also have the same trouble using a pick,and the same,used to playing with the thumb on a acoustic.
I suppose its down to practice m8 and ear plugs lol

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Howdy HC,

Been there bud!  Also a fingerpicker, but Russell's advice is sound.  I use a pick so rarely that I have to retrain every time I pick up my electric.  I used to have to glue a half dozen spares to the pickguard with double base tape so I could snag another when the one I was using "launched".

Have fun doing the Church gig.... remember if you goof it the worst thing that can happen is excommunication, and they only do that for really serious things.

Take Care and Happy Christmas;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Headcase,
Try this: http://www.MyOnlineGuitar.com/wordpress. If this link doesn't work, go to youtube and type in how to hold a guitar pick. Thats where I got this link. Good luck.
                                                                                                  getfiddle

* Admin note. I have put a space between the ':' and the 'http' to make the link usable. Roger *

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

There's nothing beats practice, Headcase, but . . .

There are many different ways of holding the pick, some hold it tight like a fist and some hold it loose like butterfly. Either can work, depending how you want your guitar to sound. You can also hold it long or short (short meaning that there is only a short bit of the point showing). Most flatpickers would hold it long, allowing the pick to move when you hit the string.

You can start with a light pick - it will let you strum with less chance of catching a string.

However, you will eventually move to a heavier pick if you get into flatpicking, as you have more control of your sound.

Also you can try different ways of hitting the strings. Firstly, you can hold the pick so that it hits the strings straight up at 90 degrees to the string. It can be easier, however, to hold it at an angle ( say 45 degrees ) to the strings as you play. The pick glides more easily over the strings.

Also, if you twist the pick so that you hit the string more on its edge than on the flat will also make a difference.

But it will sound worse than your thumb for a while, you have to keep at it !

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Many great guitars have never used a pick .( ie Mark Knoppfler, Jeff Beck, Segovia etc...) If it don't feel right, don't do it. The important thing is that you're comfortable and you're creating music...........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

You can try using a thumbpick or some other form of finger mounted pick. They usually stay put when you have it on right. Good luck with the church performance. Your grandkids will like it either way.

Thank you roger, I wasn't sure why it wasn't working.
                                                                      getfiddle

Thanks to every one who answered, I will look at the YouTube Vids, and try the different
methods everybody suggested, and Practice, Practice, ect ect ect.

Luck and Helth to all!!!