Topic: static and a bass

Any tips on getting rid of the static for beginning recorder on a tight budget? I don't know if it is the computer, the chord from the guitar, or the guitar but it drives me nuts.

Any tips on recording an acoustic/electric bass? I borrowed my friends bass but the computer does not seem to pick much up from it. It picks up a little but not enough to hear without the speaker volume turned all the way up.

thanks,
AW

Mandolin>guitar

Re: static and a bass

Hi AW,

How is your guitar hooked to the PC?  If you are going directly from the instrument to the sound card, you might turn down the volume and tone controls on the guitar as they can send a pretty good voltage into the line which might be causing it.  If you don't get it when playing through an amp it is not likely the cord.  If you are feeding through a pre-amp and then into a line in on the sound card you might see if there is a phase shift switch on the pre-amp which might make it better, or once again turn it down.
You don't have to drive much into the sound card as the amplification can be achieved at the sound card itself or through software.

Hope that helps, and if not I'm sure that there are others here who will contribute thoughts to help you sort it all out.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Does it have a 9 volt battery? you might check that. make sure it's good. if you leave the guitar plugged in while not playing, it could put the drain on the battery.
                                                                                        getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I have it going from the preamp into the mic port on the computer. The battery is new so I don't think it is that. While experimenting I found that lowering the treble and uping the bass on the preamp makes less static. Why is that?

Mandolin>guitar

I'm not sure why that is. I'm new to the recording process myself.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

for your volume problems....check your volume control properties and make sure the volumes are turned up...line in...wave...etc..

Hi lone-woodwose
Using the mic in port is not always a good way into the computer for recording using a pre-amp. If your soundcard has a audio in port in I would try that.
Try a different lead if you can from pre-amp to the computer.
Ark

it could be the pre-amp is the source of the problem, you could bypass it useing a common guitar chord and a adapter ( 1/4 in female to 1 /8 in mono plug ) the adapter can be purchased for less then $5.00 at radio shack just plug your guitar chord into the bass to the adapter and direct to the sound card on your computer and use headphones when recording I would recomend the Audacity program its free from sourceforge.com and on my mediafire link below there are at least 8 tutorials on useing the Audacity program under the folder name "Audacity" one of these deals with useing the adapter, just download them, there all free and if you need any help with them give a holler smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

lone-woodwose wrote:

I have it going from the preamp into the mic port on the computer. The battery is new so I don't think it is that. While experimenting I found that lowering the treble and uping the bass on the preamp makes less static. Why is that?

If you are going into the mic input...try recording without the preamp..like russell suggested....i dont think the mic input requires it anyway....but if you are going to use a preamp...go into the "line in" input and turn the line in volume up....you may be overdriving the mic input by using the preamp and causing the noise

Bypass the preamp? you can do that on an acustic/electric?

Mandolin>guitar

yes exactly as I discribed the computer acts as an amplifier the Audacity program acts as a recorder and the adapter is the means to transfer the signal from your instrument or microphone, keyboard whatever. and the tutorials show you how to do it smile

lone-woodwose wrote:

Audacity has a very good forum also. It's: http://audacityteam.org/forum. Very helpful site.

thanks getfiddle I will check the link out and see if I can find any new ideas smile

getfiddle wrote:

Audacity has a very good forum also. It's: http://audacityteam.org/forum. Very helpful site.

I clicked on the link and got a 404 message "this page cannnot be found" maybe its just my browser or you have pasted the wrong link,if anyone else finds it let me know smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

thanks getfiddle I will check the link out and see if I can find any new ideas smile

getfiddle wrote:

Here is the link to the forum. You accidentally put a dot after forum. Good link getfiddle. Definitly got it bookmarked. smile

Kenny
http://audacityteam.org/forum/

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks, I always seem to mess up when posting a link. Didn't even know it existed till I was looking in thay window that pops up when I open up Audacity. I was just clicking on the links and it took to a wiki page and I found it when I scrolled down.
                                                                                     getfiddle

thanks kenny I bookmarked it and I will check it out smile

KAP54 wrote:

Here is the link to the forum. You accidentally put a dot after forum. Good link getfiddle. Definitly got it bookmarked. smile

Kenny
http://audacityteam.org/forum/

18 (edited by lone-woodwose 2008-12-24 20:43:15)

Russell_Harding wrote:

yes exactly as I discribed the computer acts as an amplifier the Audacity program acts as a recorder and the adapter is the means to transfer the signal from your instrument or microphone, keyboard whatever. and the tutorials show you how to do it smile

lone-woodwose wrote:

Would it help if I gave you a sample of what it sounded like? Maybe static is the wrong name for it...

Mandolin>guitar

Sure contact me thru chordie and I will give you my gmail or email address where you can send me a sample of this "noise" it may well be a bad ground in your guitar or chord or preamp generally if its a humming noise its the ground but send it anyway and I will check it out smile

I figured out what the problem was. I had the program recording on stereo and not mono. No funny noises anymore.

thanks for the help everyone.

Mandolin>guitar

21 (edited by lone-woodwose 2008-12-25 07:05:58)

Maybe I am not so lucky. What happens when I have 2 tracks I want to play together?  It is not the speakers either, because it does it with headphones too.

It seems like the static is always there even in the mono recordings but not loud enough to notice, when you add other tracks onto it it gets louder.

I will check out the Audacity forum to see if someone has had the same issue.

Mandolin>guitar

There are several possibilities to consider as the source of this noise,first your preamp is faulty,second the guitar has some internal problems(wires,soddered connections, bad pots ect...) third the chord leading from your guitar to the preamp, or the chord leading from the preamp to your computer,any one of these could be the culprit. I would systematically eliminate each possibility and start with another guitar and both chords leading to and from your preamp if it still makes noise its your preamp,as I explained earlier you CAN bypass this preamp with an adapter, download the video from my mediafire Audacity series(number 4) it shows you what you will need and how to hook it up, the total cost will be around $4.00 to fix this problem give it a shot first you may not have to look farther to take care of this problem smile

Thanks

Mandolin>guitar

Your welcome Alden and good luck smile