Topic: buying an acoustic

hi,

i have justed started playing in the last year on a guitar that was given to me.  I now want  to buy an acoustic 6 string.  I would like to stay under $500.00.  Should i be looking at getting a used guitar? My thought is that i could get a better guitar for less money.... or am i safer to purchase new?  Also, i have a read a few online buying guides but  i would like some advice on particular brands/models that are the best buy.  I don't know if there is such a thing as a guitar that's easier to play but that's what i want!   i have played a friends very expensive (way out of my budget) and i couldn't believe how much easier it was to play than the one i have been using.  I have learning on my own and online and this is just for fun but i would still like to get the best sound for my low budget. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

thanks,

Re: buying an acoustic

First off welcome to the Forum! All things considered (price range, value, tone, ease of play) my recommendation would be to look for a used Simon & Patrick Pro model. There are lots of others that come to mind but the S&P would have to be at the top of the list (IMO)  It's all solid wood construction. They can often be found on ebay in the $300-350 price range, used of course. They are a very high quality built with top shelf tone woods in a small shop in Canada. They sell now for $1300 new and are a treamendous value even at that price. The tone of these are superb! I have a '95 S&P Pro Rosewood that has topped many of the higher end/priced guitars that I have owned. Of course tone is subjective but I doupt you'd find anyone that has played one and didn't agree. They are slightly shorter scale, therefore they maintain less string tension allowing easier fretting. So my advice is to shop for a good used older Simon & Patrick Pro model for around $350 and use the other $150 getting a K&K pickup installed. A perfect set up that will rival those costing many times more. Again this is just my opinion... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

dbop2 welcome to Chordie and happy holidays, Guitar pix has given some good advise for a first time value and quality combination guitar, i'm sure there are other members who can also offer other choices and I think your going about it right not spending a lot but still looking for the best bang for the buck, I have an acoustic Hohner single cutaway electric I believe at the time I paid around $350.00 without a case but its really been a reliable and great sounding guitar I use it exclusively on my recordings for the rhythm tracks so you dont have to spend a ton to get quality and the more you progress with your learning the better your guitar will sound (seems to go hand and hand) but there are a lot of choices and there's nothing like trying a guitar out in a music store first before making a financial commitment the old "try before you buy" comes to mind,so merry Christmas and again welcome to Chordie smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

dbop2 wrote:

hi,

i have justed started playing in the last year on a guitar that was given to me.  I now want  to buy an acoustic 6 string.  I would like to stay under $500.00.  Should i be looking at getting a used guitar? My thought is that i could get a better guitar for less money.... or am i safer to purchase new?  Also, i have a read a few online buying guides but  i would like some advice on particular brands/models that are the best buy.  I don't know if there is such a thing as a guitar that's easier to play but that's what i want!   i have played a friends very expensive (way out of my budget) and i couldn't believe how much easier it was to play than the one i have been using.  I have learning on my own and online and this is just for fun but i would still like to get the best sound for my low budget. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

thanks,

Hi dbop and welcome to Chordie. Here's a link for you to browse through and see what tickles your fancy. They're all acoustic/electric guitars priced under $500.00. ( on the first 4 pages) The prices here on this site are some of lowest I've seen. If you should see a particular guitar that you really like, I'd print the add, take it to your local guitar/music store and see if they have guitar in stock/can get it for you if they don't/ and match or better the price from this site. More importantly, you'll get to play the guitar before you buy it!

http://www.music123.com/6-String-Acoust … amp;ipp=48

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

You might want to check out the Applause series by Ovation. I have an Ovation and have played a couple of Applause and couldn't tell much difference in the two. They are a decent guitar for the money and like the Ovation have a very fast slim neck,good tone and projection and also allow you to go electric without adding a soundhole pickup or having to mic it. You can check them out online at www.musiciansfriend.com or at www.guitarcenter.com. If that dosen't fit the bill then you may want to look at the Jasmine series by Takamine. These are also a great guitar for the money and play very well.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I'd recommend Seagulls, Ovations, and some of the lower-end Martins.  Even though they're much cheaper than they're fancier, more expensive cousins, these cheaper Martins still play awesome.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Play as many as you can. What I like you may not. What you like I may not. I have a Takamine G series acoustic electric that is in the price range that I absolutely love. Again, personal preference, don't get hung up in the name game. Count on look and feel. I've played some pretty expensive guitars and they're not always the best. Each acoustic is different, even within the same model. And like Southpaw says, give your local, independent music store a chance. Without them, we'll all have to shop at #$#%$ Guitar Center.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hello, I'm no expert but I own and play some nice guitars and get to the local guitar shop fairly often and check out their inventory in the $500 price range I have not played anything that compares to the Epiphone Masterbilt series the one I like the best is AJ-500MNS if you have a chance check it out solid top and back and very nice neck and action.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Get a Tak. G - series. Check out the "flamed" maple sides and back, solid spruce front. Go electric - in the $500.00 price range and the sound will compete with most anything out there.

nela

My advice is (what i have done) is buy pawn shop gutiar for around a 100.00 to 150.00 range and play for a while. i say this because in these times you don't want to spend alot of dough on something that you may or may not either get tired of or not have the time for. me personally i have played since i was 16 (now i'm 43) and have just bought my 1st brand new gutiar. and it was a considerable investment  (Martin DR). i hope this helps good luck!

Ovation. Cost effective, pretty, gorgeous sound.  Its a round back design though but that doesnt affect my playing style.  look into them.

So Red Delicious

I too had a budget of 500.00.....after doing some research online and playing some at a few local stores I decided to go with the Epiphone EJ200ce.
i got the guitar and matching case and still had enough money to buy a happy meal.....LOL.....:-)

Bob

13 (edited by getfiddle 2008-12-28 22:11:18)

Epiphone is a good choice. I have one and I love the sound! I bought it as a straight acoustic, but I like the sound so much that I'm gonna have electronics installed so I can plug in. I also have an Ovation. It's also a good guitar, but you have to use a strap when sitting 'cause of the round back. Thats the only thing I don't like 'bout it.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Whatever brand you choose, it's a MUST to try it out and see if it suits you ... a $500 low-end Martin might be good but if you don't like how it sounds or feels, you're going to exchange it later on ... everyone on here has gone through a number of acoustics I imagine before they finally found the one they want ...

I went through 3 acoustic guitars before I finally settled on an Ovation Celebrity Koa ($499) ... later on I'll get my more expensive $1400 Martin

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I finally found Martin DXM, DX1 and D15 and I like the sound and feel of them all.  I think I am gearing toward DX1RGT, D15, or Custom D.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I finally found Martin DXM, DX1 and D15 and I like the sound and feel of them all.  I think I am gearing toward DX1RGT, D15, or Custom D.

Of the ones your looking at I'd go for the D15. It's a fine guitar and mahogany is getting scarse now that it's been added to the list of endangered woods. Look around and find a solid mahogany model (not sapele) and snatch her up smile The others are fine guitars as well but the D15 is best in my opinion and will increase more in value and tone ,in time, than the others. Just my .02.... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Are you near any music stores? I would recommend just going in and seeing what is available in your price range. An other tip is to bring a friend who is a better player than you are and get their opinion. I say this because there may be issues with a particular guitar that you may not notice but may be evident to one with more experience (messed up intonation for one). As always, try before you buy. Look carefully at used models as these are usually the best deals and, if you can help it, try to get an acoustic with a solid (rather than plywood) top.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/stevewaltherorchestra[/url]

Hi, this is my first post, but I play an ancient Goya. It has gut strings, so I don't know if that's a problem. Mine was made in Sweeden in 1954...My older sister bought it in 1965, I think because she thought Joan Boaz played a Goya at the time. Anyway, I've been amazed that I've seen them for sale on eBay for really cheap...under $500.  I think my sis paid $300 or more for it way back when.  Apparently they just haven't appreciated so much.  Look for the older ones though, from what I understand, after Martin bought the company the instrument went down hill.  I love the sound of mine. BUT I really think you should play and listen to any guitar before you buy.  OH..a man at the music store told me if you..a person..could find a old old Gianni that was made in Brazil, it had a good tone...I have one of those...it is tiny and I get teased about it...It was my first "real" 6 string...and it was cheap cheap cheap becasue my parents were definitely not into over indulging their children...though I had advantages and I very greatful to Mama and Daddy, God rest their souls.

I really want a low action steel string...but, unless someone is giving them away, it just won't fit into my budget. My friends all play Martins...........  I feel like Janis Joplin..Oh Lord,won't you buy me a _____________...  Good luck, Merrybell

I would love to have a playable guitar from 1954. Sounds amazing.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/stevewaltherorchestra[/url]

When buying a guitar for beginners i recommend a nylon stringed acoustic, as they will be the easiest on the fingers. However, students with small hands may find the wider neck of a classical guitar hard to play because of the reach involved. Something to consider in this case is a 1/2 or 3/4 size. Musical style, quality and price are the key determining factors to consider when buying a guitar for intermediate and advanced players.

For more info: http://www.totallyguitars.com

Interesting to see recommendations for Ovation and Applause here. Usually outside of the great Ovation Fan Club ()OFC) website they don't get the respect they deserve. A new Applause (deep bodied) is way better than anything else at the price (under 300 Europe in Irl). I have one 20 years old and also an Ovation 30 years old. The top end Ovations go for serious money new but you'll get a great used one. But don't buy before visiting the OFC.

Acoustic guitars are available in a wide range of prices from as little as $150 to as much as $10,000. Before purchasing you want to find an acoustic guitar that is comfortable to handle, has the right neck width and provides a rich, ringing tonal quality. The only real way to do this is to play them yourself.You decide what is best for your playing style.

There was a Martin DM for sale over on the UMGF Buy and Sell page These are tough
well made guitars with laminated back and sides and sound terrific - I ve owned this
model. In addition you get a 72 hour tryout on UMGF guitars that are for sale. He was
asking $499 with a factory case. I don't know about shipping costs. I have no personal
interest in this guitar and do not know the seller.