Topic: Left Handed Guitarist Playing a right handed guitar

Hi; I'm new to this forum thing..... I've been playing guitar for a couple of months now. I'm left handed but taught myself (with the help of Chordie and Youtube) a few songs on my sons right handed guitar. I would like to know if there is anyone else   who is left handed that   plays a right handed guitar???? If you have any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated..... Or should I start from scratch and play a left handed guitar??

Thanks

Re: Left Handed Guitarist Playing a right handed guitar

Greetings and Welcome to the Chordie Forum!

Well it would be helpful to know which hand were you fretting with while playing this "right handed" instrument?  If your left hand was your strumming hand, and you have only been playing at it for a couple of months.... I would think it would be a good time to get yourself a "left handed" guitar!  Now I know there are folks out there that can easily hit chords "off-handed" and upside down, Hendrix and all.... but there are some chords out there that are tough enough without complicating it further.

The up side of this is that you have already demonstrated the interest in playing, and if having taught yourself the chords you know upside down, this time next year, you might be opening your own "world tour"!

Keep making music, it just gets better.  Welcome again to Chordie and don't be a stranger, there is plenty of good advise available here among the community, and resources to help you along on your musical journey.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Greetings and Welcome to the Chordie Forum!

Well it would be helpful to know which hand were you fretting with while playing this "right handed" instrument?  If your left hand was your strumming hand, and you have only been playing at it for a couple of months.... I would think it would be a good time to get yourself a "left handed" guitar!  Now I know there are folks out there that can easily hit chords "off-handed" and upside down, Hendrix and all.... but there are some chords out there that are tough enough without complicating it further.

The up side of this is that you have already demonstrated the interest in playing, and if having taught yourself the chords you know upside down, this time next year, you might be opening your own "world tour"!

Keep making music, it just gets better.  Welcome again to Chordie and don't be a stranger, there is plenty of good advise available here among the community, and resources to help you along on your musical journey.

Take Care;
Doug

Hendrix played true left-handed. Many people are confused by this because he restrung  right handed guitars and played them left-handed. ( low E string to the chin, high E string to the knee).

Give everything but up.

wild-irish-boy wrote:

Hi; I'm new to this forum thing..... I've been playing guitar for a couple of months now. I'm left handed but taught myself (with the help of Chordie and Youtube) a few songs on my sons right handed guitar. I would like to know if there is anyone else   who is left handed that   plays a right handed guitar???? If you have any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated..... Or should I start from scratch and play a left handed guitar??

Thanks

Just keep on doing what feels best and most comfortable to you. Music is an art form, therefore there are no rules. Many musicians have gotten filthy, stinkin' rich from playing righty guitars lefty style. ( ie., Seal, Air Supply, Albert King(blues guru), and many others). Bottom line is this; if it feels natural to you, keep doin' what you're doin'. The primary issue is are you or aren't you makin' music? Keep paintin' that canvas, color on and paint the tunes...............

Give everything but up.

I'm a lefty, and I play guitar right handed. I strum and pick with my right hand, and fret with my left hand. I do just about everything right handed. which is kinda weird, because my parents are both left handed. "Maybe I'm just naturally BassAcwards"

I'm similar, started playing in October, am left handed but play on a right handed acoustic.   It actually feels quite natural to me to have my stronger hand doing all the complicated stuff with chords on the neck.   My dad is left handed and plays left handed.  Probably why he has only ever learned 16 chords in 40 years.    Music wise its waaaay better to play right handed so you don't have to reverse every piece of music before playing it.  smile

I have always played  the guitar right handed even thoughIm left handed.For some reason playing right hand always "Felt" right..I tried learning left handed.. but i could not make  my hands work ...If i was  you Irish ..Id stick to right handed if it feels good..

I'm a lefty and I play a right handed guitar. My nephew is also a lefty and he plays a left handed guitar. He has actually played both right and left but prefers the left because picking is a lot easier for him. I find that picking, or flat picking, is the hardest thing to do in guitar playing and I would imagine that it would be easier with my dominant hand. If it wasn't, why would right handed guitars be strung to be picked with the right and and vice-versa on left handed guitars? I've been playing too long to change now, but I would definitely consider getting a left handed guitar if I was just starting out.

By the way, welcome to Chordie!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

I'm left handed and I play right because my grandpa was the first to buy me a guitar and he didn't know the difference.  I was just glad to get a guitar so I didn't mention it.

tongue:P:P:P:P

I'm also left handed and play right handed...  When I first started learning, I decided to do it that way so that I wouldn't always need my own guitar and could play whatever guitar was laying around.  I have found strumming and picking to be a greater challenge to get right, but the fretboard has probably been easier so I guess it balances out.  And eventually my right hand started behaving itself too. smile

I don't entirely understand why it'd be better to play one way or the other, since the guitar is really a two-handed instrument.  Just play whichever way feels right.  (When I first started, it DID feel weird to play right-handed but now it feels normal, and would feel weird to play left-handed.)

Check out Doyle Bramhall II. Upside down righty guitar played lefty works pretty darn good for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9qQgDhF … =rec-HM-r2

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I am a lefty and have always wanted to play the guitar (for more than 20 years), but really struggled as all that was ever around was a right-handed guitar.

This Christmas, I was lucky enough to get a left handed guitar - What a difference!!! I am motivated and loving it! Although I am slowly chugging along, you can make out The House of the Rising Sun, Jolene, Hallelujah, Puff the Magic Dragon and Dream emanating from my fingertips smile Not bad for two weeks!!!

Jokes about keeping rhythm aside, if you are truly left handed and want to play, get a left handed guitar!

Thank You all for your help and suggestions... I went to a guitar shop today to try a left handed guitar but it felt all backwards. I think I'll be more comfortable playing a right handed guitar. Besides that I like the response I get when an experienced guitarist watches me play.... It's great for conversation.... I checked out that Doyle Bramhall on Youtube... He's amazing.... At least I know it's not impossible.... I'll just keep practicing, although it seems impossible for me to make an F chord....

Thank you all and thank you chordie

wild-irish-boy wrote:

I'll just keep practicing, although it seems impossible for me to make an F chord....

Hell, it took me a year to make an F chord, and some still avoid them after many years (and don't even bring up the dreaded B chord!). As you say, practice is the key. Hang in there - I look forward to seeing your vids on YouTube!

Jeff

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well I personally think that if you play a right guitar and are left handed, you're better off than right handed people. The left hand needs the strength and dexterity!! the right can learn to pick easier I think.
That's just my opinion, and it makes sense...

I'm left handed AND PLAT A RIGHT HANDED GUITAR. i PICK WITH MY RIGHT AND FRET WITH MY LEFT. i WAS LEARNING AT A TIME WHEN IT WAS NOT GOOD TO BE LEFT HANDED AND SO WAS MADE TO LEARN AS A RIGHT HANDER, NOW ITS SECOND NATURE

i AGREE ABOUT THE f CHORD THOUGH. IT TOOK A WHILE BUT JUST PERSEVERE AND IT WILL COME