Topic: WHAT IS MUSIC?

By definition: (Thorndyke and Barnhart Dictonary)
"The art of putting sounds together in arrangements-a pleasant sound-written or printed signs for music-recorded arrangements"also to "face the music" eg. meet trouble head on or answer for ones actions as in dance to the music. aside from the early grunting of cave man(which oddly resembles some of today's genres) music has always been with us from chants passed down from one generation to the next or written notes on paper, music has been preserved in one form or another for future generations and until Thomas Edison invented a crude form of recording on a cylinder there were piano rolls or music boxes that played if you wound them up.Music can lift your spirits or make you weep,angry,and like no other form of human expression music stands alone as the most powerful form of communicating ideas to the masses and expressing love and reverence so what are your thoughts on what music is? smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: WHAT IS MUSIC?

'Music can lift your spirits or make you weep,angry,and like no other form of human expression'

Isn't that just the truth..!  When i'm in a really happy mood, i like listening to 'The Levellers'.  I find their music jolly & upbeat, & it enhances my good mood.

If, i'm in a sad mood, i try & avoid certain music.. ie, slushy love ballads.  Sad songs make me weepy.

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Radchael sometimes a good cry helps (no kidding) venting is good for releasing sorrow.frustration anger ect.. its a human thing I know because i got my bill from the mechanic for fixing my car yesterday lol russell

Very simply:

Music is an expression of emotion in a universal language.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Radchael sometimes a good cry helps (no kidding) venting is good for releasing sorrow.frustration anger ect.. its a human thing I know because i got my bill from the mechanic for fixing my car yesterday lol russell

Russell, that's funny.! lol

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Im sure there are more opinions on "what is music" and I would like to hear yours please feel free to express your thoughts im sure everyone has a slant on this question,after all chordie is a site for musicians smile

Music is everything;

It is the motion in movement. it is the moisture in water,
It is the breeze in the wind, it is the tiniest whisper in a massive roar.

Music is everything.........

Give everything but up.

My wife had a beginning banjo instructional video.  In the beginning the instructor, I can't recall his name, said, "If it sounds good, it is good."  That is our guiding principle in learning songs, playing our guitars, and music in general.

"Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bicycle ride."
John F. Kennedy

Great words there! worthy of a musical arrangement,thanks Tony for your insightful thoughts.Russ

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Music is everything;

It is the motion in movement. it is the moisture in water,
It is the breeze in the wind, it is the tiniest whisper in a massive roar.

Music is everything.........

triplecrank one thing that always will tell the truth when it comes to music its not your mouth it is your ears and "if it sounds good it is good tells it all smile

triplecrank wrote:

My wife had a beginning banjo instructional video.  In the beginning the instructor, I can't recall his name, said, "If it sounds good, it is good."  That is our guiding principle in learning songs, playing our guitars, and music in general.

"Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bicycle ride."
John F. Kennedy

I was reading this thread and it occurred to me that I forgot to mention the obvious answer,I have been playing music for almost 50 years in bands,recording studios and as a solo performer,music is my life,my joy and my passion.There have been a lot of ups and downs in my career but I would change very little,to be sure there were moments and events I wish never happened we all do but that's the best part of life to experience all it has to offer and make the most of your gift because that's what it is a gift or blessing and to sum it up music is my life smile

Music to me is a form of sounds carried out by the emotions of the soul. Some of us just tend to feed our souls more than others. Just think of what the world would be like without music. I know i could do without some forms of it.

I like to listen to music, therefore I dont play music when I'm in company, because I want to hear the music, listen to the words and hear how an instrument is played and most of all why the producer didnt do his job.
I listen to music in the car on my way to gigs, when I can turn the volume up, and not have any one say "what the hell is that load of **** your listening to?"
Music is a public and a private thing, best listened to on your own in a crowd of like minded people... so dont talk to me while I'm listening.

That's what I think anyway, and that's what music is to me

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

im only bumping this because the number of views was 666 and thats a bad number to stay on,its not that im superstitious but now the number is 667 smile

I totally agree with u all. Music is just so...there are really no words to fully describe how lyrics and beats and melodies of songs make u feel. Music is just so AMAZING. in so many ways!!!! sure some ppl have different was of communicating and some feel stronger about music then others but theres even ppl who dont play instruments and just listen to the radio when all of a sudden a song comes on and it conects with them and there life and sweeps to thier core and just flows through them. It can make u weep, laug, dance, angry, or just sing a long. So even for those who dont know it, music afffects alot...as roger said "universal"... smile)))))

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}

I agree with Roger's definition. Simple and to the point. The thought of it being a universal language holds very true for me after having experienced playing with people in different countries and backgrounds. You somehow always have an idea of what someone expresses through their instruments even without understanding the words.

Here's one phrase that I always liked :  "Music is food for the Soul". My music teacher from high school used to say that to us at the beginning of every lesson.

intresting topic, never really thought about it.  in my simple terms music is rhythm and rhythm is life

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Posting again because i remembered another phrase:

"Music is the space between the notes." - Claude Debussy

mrjay who can argue with Debussy glad you remembered it, who was it Oliver? who said "please sir i'd like some more" smile

If music be the food of love, play on.............

Words from a very gifted wordsmith - Willam Shakespere´s Twelfth night written in 1601.

hi Roger been a spell...ahhh Shakespere's Twelfth night 1601 over four centurys and the words still ring true I wonder if he composed this in a castle or a caravan smile

My guess would be that it was written on the banks of the river Avon whilst thinking of his beloved Anne Hathaway, but as this is just a little before my time, I cannot be sure.

Roger were you on a hiatus or vacation or are they working to hard at the job your fingers are to numb to tap the keyboard let alone play guitar where ya been? smile

Courtesy of QuoteGarden.com

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.  ~Ludwig van Beethoven

A painter paints pictures on canvas.  But musicians paint their pictures on silence.  ~Leopold Stokowski

great responses and quotes any more? smile