Topic: My NEW COMPUTER CRASHED

Yes my new gateway gave up the ghost as I was on chordie the screen went blank and my monitor said "no signal" I tried another video chord nada so I hooked up my old xp and it works fine with the same chords so I will have to contact the puter store and see how much they will gouge me to fix it and I thought the cold weather was bad, bummer sad

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: My NEW COMPUTER CRASHED

I recon its Vista then on your new PC? Thought when I saw the post, that it might have something to do with XP SP3, that went blue on me several times, because I have a AMD prossesor, had to rename the Intel file, in Windows directory, and then I could delete it, and all is ...well, almost fine. Need a new PC, but Vista sucks!
Hope they will fix it for you!

"give us today our daily b-read"
that means you must write to make it right right? Repent... re-pen-T... re pen Truth
"It's illegal to use a legal name".
Simple as that.

Krapyl yes its a vista never had a problem but it has been acting up lately it was freezzing and I had to restart it because it woulden't budge gota make a few calls to some knowledgable people and i might get some answers hopefully smile

I'm feeling for you Russell,  but then I'm still "old School" running XP. But we remember when it was a problem child also.

I think Devon is going to be available this weekend , so you might touch bases with him and I'll "warn" him to expect you. Everything from MS seems to get released before it is fully ready... the kids are beta testing Windows 7 now and I'm sure they will be whining about that version too before it is all over.
  You have to admit though it is a genius who determined that the consumer could do all your quality control testing so you don't have to pay you own people to do it.... and those same consumers will PAY you (ie: purchase it) for the pleasure(?) of doing so!

I know it hurts, but try to laugh anyway.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Russ - I had a similar problem a year ago or so. My video card went out - A quick trip to Best Buy, less than $50 for a replacement and really quite an easy fix. You may want to try to repair yourself. I'd recommend you remove your video card first and bring it with you to the computer store - make sure the replacement mounting matches including the wiring harness. I don't remember specifically what was wrong with mine, but it took me 2 trips to get the right one.

It's worth the effort (unless your machine is still under warranty). 5 minute replacement and you're back in business. If the card isn't the problem, it should be returnable for a full refund.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks top and Doug for the helpfull tips I did get a hold of the guy who built my vista and he's comming over to pick it up and fix it and it wont cost an arm and a leg smile

We just had a "visit" from the computer virus "Antivirus 2009" and it clogged up our old system something fierce.

Fortunately, we were in the process of buying a new computer so we have the new system up and running and virus free after a computer withdrawal time.   And we were also lucky in that our antivirus protection kept the virus from destroying all our data. 

We have AVG antivirus protection.  We also use Windows XP, no problems with that........YET!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

well the guy fixed it and it only cost me $5.00 for his gas to bring it to me,of course I am returning the favor by setting up and restoring a 1938 hawaaian steel guitar and he has some extra surround sound speakers for my new 19 inch digital flatscreen tv and larger puter monitors we can dicker on he likes blues and I am giving him some lessons free on how to play slide so it all worked out ok and by the way he built my computer so if ever I have any problems I have his card and the repairs will be free (my favorite price) I only have to pay for the parts he dont have laying around,nice smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

well the guy fixed it and it only cost me $5.00 for his gas to bring it to me,of course I am returning the favor by setting up and restoring a 1938 hawaaian steel guitar and he has some extra surround sound speakers for my new 19 inch digital flatscreen tv and larger puter monitors we can dicker on he likes blues and I am giving him some lessons free on how to play slide so it all worked out ok and by the way he built my computer so if ever I have any problems I have his card and the repairs will be free (my favorite price) I only have to pay for the parts he dont have laying around,nice smile

Sounds like some quality bartering as I see it!  If it works out good, it is good!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

yes I was fortunate I got my new computer from a friend who owns an auction house we used to sing in the same church choir and his auction business was still a fledgling business but he built it to a very profitable enterprise and one day I visited one of his auctions and stuff that I helped him move out of attics all dusty and worn were selling for ridiculous bids,I remember one item an old worn chair the winning bid was $250.00 I remember because I carried it to the truck but he told me that he had some computers and monitors coming next auction and if I needed one to let him know so I asked "how much" he sold to me for the foreclosure price of $100 a brand new gateway running a vista program and the guy that fixes all his electronics is the same person who fixed mine lucky day smile

I've had the 'freezing' problem with Vista for some time now but just somehow get used to it as the computer is out of warranty. It seems to sort itself out after rebooting and goes for weeks without it reaccuring.

The first time it freezes and stays there I'll take it for a swim at the local park.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

just curious charlotte,do you ever empty the prefetch folder? its something I learned from Doug Smith and his son Devon,if you have never done so there could be tons of disposable junk that is slowing down your computer and just adding useless bytes to your hard drive but my vista program has only frozen on Chordie(weird) and I had to reboot it and everything is fine for a few days but it returns, and I dont know if its just my browser but myspace is really loading slow it could be this new revamp still has bugs smile

charlotte wrote:

I've had the 'freezing' problem with Vista for some time now but just somehow get used to it as the computer is out of warranty. It seems to sort itself out after rebooting and goes for weeks without it recurring.

The first time it freezes and stays there I'll take it for a swim at the local park.

Yes Russell, I keep it up to date and clear out all the junk. I've also found that it does it a lot when on Chordie and sometimes it will not let me access Chordie when everything else is ok.

There may come a day when walking down the street we will all have to dodge 'frozen' computers coming crashing through peoples windows followed by a torrent of verbal abuse. I'm sure you can picture that in your mind.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

yikes! it sounds like a nightmare with the Burt bacharach song "raindrops falling on my head" only insert PCs for "raindrops" lol I will inquire of my PC guru of this phenomena "the Chordie freeze" and if there is an antidote smile

charlotte wrote:

Yes Russell, I keep it up to date and clear out all the junk. I've also found that it does it a lot when on Chordie and sometimes it will not let me access Chordie when everything else is ok.

There may come a day when walking down the street we will all have to dodge 'frozen' computers coming crashing through peoples windows followed by a torrent of verbal abuse. I'm sure you can picture that in your mind.