Topic: Microphones

I just bought a Shure SM85VLC for use on stage.  I bought it based purely on reputation, and with absolutely 0 knowledge of microphones.     I'm worried about feedback, though.   What characteristics of a microphone help with managing feedback?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: Microphones

feedback is a problem on stage it usually has to do with the proximity of the speakers and the position of the microphone in addition to the eq on the mic or the volume any one of these could cause feedback even putting your hand over the mic causes feedback the sure sm-58 is a omni directional mic as opposed to the sm-57 which is unidirectional,a omni directional picks up sound from a greater area and the uni directionals field is smaller and is ideal for mike-ing acoustic guitars for recording or placed in front of a speaker for mixing on stage also recording harmonicas the sm-series by sure is the most dependable microphone made ( IMO) ive had one for over 15 years without a problem smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Jerome,

Shure Microphones are the standard by which everyone on the planet are measured (at least in the world of music), although there are some very strong competitors out there. You are likely going to find that the one you have is cardoid pattern which means that it has the ability to pick up sounds 180 degrees from the front of the grille.  To minimize feed back you will want to have your PA speakers upstage of the microphone and you monitor directly between you and the audience (behind the mic.).  Optimal placement for vocals will be somewhere between 6-12 inches away from source (ie: your face) and you will get more bass the closer you are to it right up to the grille.  Like Russell said, the 57 series is more of a hypercardoid (meaning the cone of sensitivity is 90 degrees or less) directional but not quite a "shotgun".

I think you are really going to be pleased with the performance of it in most situations, and for live performances it is the "bomb"!  In a studio environment I prefer a condenser hypercardoid with a pop filter, but they can be way too sensitive for live work.... the "pin drop" thing.  Somebody backstage drops a clipboard and it is heard in "the cheap seats"!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That's all good stuff.    I love a good education.  big_smile

I've stood in front of one of those condenser hypercardoid mics, and they are not a thing to be trifled with.   I was three feet off the thing and could hear myself breathing.  Somewhat disconcerting in fact.

I'll muck about with it in the studio.  It's teeny, so if I can prevent feedback there, I can do it anywhere.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi Jerome,

Well it has been a couple of weeks since you posted this, and I was curious how that mic is working out for you?  The reason I'm asking is that this is the recording section, and user reviews good and bad would be of some value to those who are shopping for equipment for their own use.

Your opinion would be a welcome addition.

Thanks and Take Care Neighbor;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

i've owned and used several shure mikes over the years, i hate uni's as i tend to about a bit when i'm singing.
i once had a yamaha mike, which you could use in front of the speakers with out feed back, it was excellent, but it's now broke, so i bought a beyer TGX 60, which is very good, it's also a omni, which i also use for recording.
i do find that an excess of reverb [that word again] will cause a lot of feedback, so if you use it, keep the mike behind the speakers.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.