Topic: Self-learning at 41

Is it possible? Should I even try? LOL

I took ONE class in high school, and took some lessons playing on a big ol Yamaha acoustic. Never really got very far, but playing (I know, this is ridiculous) Rock Band 2 with my son kinda got me inspired. He has a drum set he rarely uses, so I made the offer to get a guitar and try to learn how to play it if he gets off the XBox drums and on to his real ones. He loved the idea.

So......pointers? Suggestions? Advice? I don't have time/$$$ to take professional lessons, so if anyone can recommend some books? I was figuring on a relatively inexpensive guitar, like a Squier Fender Affinity series, and a 10w amp or so.

You do, however, have to be just slightly off your rocker to want to do all the tough stuff (both heavy offroad and long distance highway) on the KLR, but with the right amount of stupidity, you can do anything with the bike.

-Hamon, on KLR650.net

Re: Self-learning at 41

First, Its never too late, after a life of procrastinating, I finely really started at 49, this past February.  So its about a year. Not as far along as I had hoped but having fun and getting better.
Just changed teachers and that should help a lot.

My best reason to take lessons, besides not developing bad habits on your own, is that you set definite goals and have to face someone each week with your progress, really keeps you on target.

Oh yeah, the guitar,  if you look on line (ebay, craig) you can find a used Fender Strat MIM (made in mexico) for only a little more than a Squire, and usually they are more consistent and of higher quality, a guitar you can be happy with for quit a while.

Go for it, good luck.

Eric

These books have helped me a lot:

Guitar Basics by Bruce Buckingham http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Basics-Ess … amp;sr=8-2

and Fretboard Logic by Bill Edwards http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Logic-S … amp;sr=8-1

Have fun, and good luck!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

It is possible, I started learning on my own two plus years ago at 47, still learning but having a blast. Like said here before, practice is key.

... Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

Hi Allen.  YouTube has some awesome video tutorials.  I'm amazed at how many people take the time and effort to put these together.  Search YouTube for ThreeChordGuitar, LazyFret, JustinSandercoe, goldhat3 & siggi5153.  They're just a few i can think of off the top of my head. But dont forget YT as a resource for learning.  If there's a particular song u want to learn, you'll most likely find it in there somewhere. If you enter the song name, followed by guitar lesson/tutorial, somthing usually pops up.

Good luck..!  smile

Rachael x

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

DO IT!! We all could use more people to jam with. You tube is a great tool, as well as Chordie. I saw a guy at an open mic night who had been playing only about a year and was far better than me. I've been playing almost 20 now.

Allen, you should absolutely go for it!  For what it's worth, I started when I was 40, self taught--just looked up some songs I liked on the internet and got a $6.00 book showing the chord shapes, and practiced.  I don't think there's any magic way to learn quickly, you just have to pick the thing up every day and play through all the nasty sounds you're going to make.  after looking at the songs I wanted to play, I saw for instance, a lot of songs went from G to C.  So when I'd watch a football game, I'd have the guitar on my lap and for three hours just switch from G to C--don't have to strum, just fret the chords.  Keep picking out common chord changes, and keep working.  I'd suggest not shying away from bare chords--practice them right out of the gate just like you do the open chords.  My story is, 6 yrs later I'm playing out a couple times a week--have a band and all that stuff--don't give up & practice!

8 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2009-01-21 23:22:06)

Allen - I too started at 41 and have found a passion that I put time in daily for 7 yrs now.  In about 6 months you should find you have something going on.  And it just keeps getting better.  Youtube is a good source, but I took lessons and found the pressure to be prepared for my lesson kept me on track.  Regardless, you're never too old and I applaud you and encourage you to come back and let us know your progress along the way.  Youtube and Chordie are your best friends.. there's ALL levels of player there so you can see you're not alone.

Well, that sounds like what I have in mind is certainly possible. LOL Anyone have any opinions on the Squier by Fender Standard Stratacasters as a beginning guitar? Something that'll last me for a few years? I won't outgrow it?

You do, however, have to be just slightly off your rocker to want to do all the tough stuff (both heavy offroad and long distance highway) on the KLR, but with the right amount of stupidity, you can do anything with the bike.

-Hamon, on KLR650.net

Definetly check out justinguitar.com. I started with him. He's the best in my opinion.

AllenTC2 wrote:

Well, that sounds like what I have in mind is certainly possible. LOL Anyone have any opinions on the Squier by Fender Standard Stratacasters as a beginning guitar? Something that'll last me for a few years? I won't outgrow it?

About the Squiers? Some of the earlier Squiers made in Japan and Korea are excellent guitars...some of the more recent ones that I've seen from Indodesia (I think) are a poor value. It's best to really look closely at the fit and finish and then check out the sound...Fender has put it's name on some of the very best guitars and also some of the very worst! Gibson too!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

AllenTC2 wrote:

There are lots of choices out there. No matter what you buy if it takes hold of you, you're going to buy more. It's just that way. For short money the Agile and SX lines are hard to beat in my opinion. Rondo music would be a good site to start with. Also give your local music shop a chance; they deserve at least that!!!! Don't rule out buying used from your local music shop. There are a lot of great deals out there. I've known people who have tried to take it up and start with a 2000.00 Taylor only to give it up after a couple of months. Those great guitars from not so great players are out there!!! Don't stress out about your first choice in guitar. If you get into it you'll get plenty more as the years roll on. I still have my first guitar and still play it regularly. It was 200.00 late in the 80's and is still worth about 200.00!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Radchael1975 wrote:

Search YouTube for ThreeChordGuitar
Rachael x

Thank you for mentioning my youtube channel smile

AllenTC2 wrote:

Start on an acoustic.  You'll be a better player faster.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I just started about 4 months ago myself and I just turned 45.. I got the stop dreaming, start playing package with the 15w amp. I love it. I just bought an epiphone sg that was a lot more expensive and I like the squier better. I think you will be happy with the squier.
and I to go to utube, there is a lot of free video lessons on there that has really helped so far. I dont want to spend a lot of money on lessons and where I live I would have to do a lot of traveling for the lessons so I go to the internet for help.  good luck.