Topic: What style or genre of music does everybody play?

I play country,oldies, and a little alternative.

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

Re: What style or genre of music does everybody play?

My taste cover a very wide range but I tend to favor ska ,reggae and just laid back surf rock..

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm into folk mainly, but, I also try Blues, Appalchia/bluegrass, even some pop/rock, Beatles, Lovin Spoonful, CS&N, etc, Celtic, Country, reggae, classical, if there's a tune I like I'll try it.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I play sissified 70's folk/pop and country mostly.  Plus a little whatnot and a few not sures. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by badeye 2008-12-13 20:22:24)

Oldies, blues and coal mining tunes.  Lots of fun.

Badeye cool

one caper after another

I play anything i can get my fingers around chord wise!

I do love picking  songs. At the moment im trying to learn to play Gerry Garcia's song,  Ripple" Properly..

I can play it, but i'm trying to get around what i call "The fancy Bits" lol  I hope to play it in Portugal next june at my sons wedding. If the nerves allow..

Heres me Fella { well My favourite bashful man } Playing it.
I so want to meet this man!. ever since the first time i seen him on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3pEOHd-28o

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Yeah, he's good old doll.  And Zurf, I'm with you on the sissified stuff.  Throw in some 50's and 60's and I'm with ya.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

A lot of my favorites are from the 60's.   even though I'm looking at some stuff from the Ray Orbison catalog of works.   Dang, talk about people who die too soon.  <sigh>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

i'm not sure what era ZZ top is from but i play a few of their songs. iplay a lot of worship music, you would be surprised how many heavy metal christian bands their are, a few being Underoath-dead poetic  just to name a few.

The world is only going to get worse!

10 (edited by ozymandias 2008-12-14 01:40:14)

washed by Him! wrote:

i'm not sure what era ZZ top is from but i play a few of their songs. iplay a lot of worship music, you would be surprised how many heavy metal christian bands their are, a few being Underoath-dead poetic  just to name a few.

ZZ top was more an 80's Texas Blues/rock/funk band.  Their style is quite unique and they played some seriously good stuff. They get kudo's from me for their longevity/stability as a band and quality of their sound!

ozymandias wrote:

, if there's a tune I like I'll try it.

I'm with you Ozymandias,

If it's played with strings and you can tap a toe to it.... I'm in!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I play mostly alternitive and rock.
And I sing to a lot of it, or screaming. which i just learned how to do XD

ScR3@m M3 @ 10v3 50nG

I hate when people call me ~&^young,^&~ just because of my ~$)age($~
Did you ever consider my ~#(Mind?)#~

I play mainly metal when I jam with friends-heavy, loud, REAL metal. Metallica, Megadeth, even some new metal.

For myself, some blues, classic rock, lots of jazz, blues-inflected punk, pretty much anything with some real power behind it.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I try to play Christian rock and country. The Blues and a little Bluegrass now and then. Mosty i am just making up my own stuff trying to fuse it all together.

Slide Guitar!!!

Slide Guitar for Beginners
http://slide.neonblade.com/images/HeadMainSml.gif

[b][i][url=http://slide.neonblade.com]Slide Guitar for Beginners[/url][/i][/b]

Doug_Smith wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

, if there's a tune I like I'll try it.

I'm with you Ozymandias,

If it's played with strings and you can tap a toe to it.... I'm in!

Take Care;
Doug

Amen

Played tuba and snare drum in school bands and opera companies. Added trumpet at age 16 and was so thrilled to play dixieland and jazz.
Got into jazz rock after college - detoured into soul, psycedelic, rockabilly and corn country (paid the best). After years of jazz, country was difficult because playing clean and simply is anathema to a jazz player. I lacked the dry country voice but I could get away with singing Charlie Rich and other citified country.
Added rhythm guitar at my age 24 and played trumper when it was my time to solo. Added valve and later, slide trombone in my 30's. After 24 years of being a bar band leader six nights a week, I became a letter carrier for the post office. What a nice quiet job that was. I didn't play for almost three years but then I heard some wildly funny tunes by Pat Daily, Tim Wilson, Rodney Carrington as well as Richard Bowden. I had to learn to play some of those for my rowdy friends. I started my fat book which now contains 500 plus tunes.
I played a single beach music guitar song guy act for three years after retiring from the post office and after a jam with John Reno, became his tuba player.
After ten years and four C.D.'s with John I am slowing a bit at age 67 but I still can fool you into thinking I can play and I am still collecting more silly songs.
Dennis Gray
http://www.johnreno.com/home.html

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Everything going .. because its all for fun and enjoyment ... except anything to do with religion ... as an athiest to sing songs or even mention in praise of the Lord etc  seems stupid ... and I dont care what religion they are singing about... to be singing "heavymetal" and "Rock" or to suddenly "Rap" in the cause  of judism or christian or Hindu or muslim is totally ridiculous .... I can understand where blues came from in the same sound but different words ... but no religion whatsover ....

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Classic Rock / Metal / Country ... you name it I play it

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

We call it "Rock 'n Tonk," or sometimes "Punk and Western."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Brings to mind this band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW93XixRMLA  Is it something like that? Taught to be proud is another good tune by them...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Brings to mind this band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW93XixRMLA  Is it something like that? Taught to be proud is another good tune by them...

That is good stuff!  We're far, far less talented.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Something like, "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by Georgia Satellites?  tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I play folk, country, rock, punk all on the acoustic guitar.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

I play folk, country, rock, punk all on the acoustic guitar.

All at the same time?  'Cause that would be COOL!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude