Topic: SUPER BOWL WHO DO YOU LIKE

OK we got the Arizona Cardinals versus the Pittsburgh Steelers and its going to be a great game,the Cardinals took it to the Eagles in a hard fought game and the Steelers were just to much for the Ravens there defense looks like there ready for anything and "Big Ben" is as tough as any quarterback in the NFL.The Cardinals are a Cinderella team not to many picked them to go to the Superbowl,I watched both games and I'm going with Pittsburgh but it wouldn't surprise me if the Cardinals rode away with the trophy either way its going to be a great game and as I type this I cant recall the quarterback for the Cardinals I know he played with the Seattle Seahawks and its on the tip of my tongue but at this moment I'm drawing blanks.so whats your choice? smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: SUPER BOWL WHO DO YOU LIKE

Heart says Cardinals; head knows Steelers

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If the Steelers are in it, I have to go with them.  I've known two Steelers, and both were as nice as could be.  I can't remember their names right now.  One was the fiance of the gal that used to give me rides back home.  She attended college with me in Virginia, and her fiance attended college in my home town in Pennsylvania.  So I would catch rides with her when she went to visit him and I could visit my friends cheap.  He was drafted out of college.  So, that's one.  The other was a guy who my sister used to hang out with when she was in college.  She was a scholarship athlete for Pitt (track, in her case) and lived in the athletic dorm.  She knew all the football players and other athletes.  The ones she introduced us to when we'd visit all seemed like pretty decent fellows.  One in particular was drafted by the Steelers.  He used to have to duck his head and turn his shoulders to go through a doorway.  Kind of a big guy. 

I worked in the training room at Va Tech, too, so I met a lot of those guys.  I was a data checker for the grad student who supported the athletes.  All I did was wave at them as they came in and maybe refilled their water bottles if they were in the therapy tub and I didn't want them to have to get out and walk naked past me to the water fountain.  Last thing my skinny little already-washed-up-bicycle-racer ego needed was for a nine foot tall six foot wide naked athlete pumped up from the gym to walk past him.  Sheesh.  Anyway, they were friendly and good guys too.  None of them remembered my name (fair enough because I didn't remember theirs), so I got to be known as "Cuz".  The athletes all called each other "bro" or "brother-man", and the trainer was "Pops" (he must have been almost 32).  I guess they figured I was part of the family (but not quite), so "Cuz" worked. 

So, wildly off on a tangent.  I'm going with Steelers while at the same time demonstrating my complete ignorance of all things football.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Curt Warner it just dawned on me duh smile

I'm going with 'Zona ... I'm an Eagles fan and was ticked off once again by their performance in the title game ... same as always, play like crap for 3 quarters, dig yourself a whole, then come back to take the lead and then blow it in the last 7-8 minutes ... BUT I do like the 'Zona Cinderella story so I'm going with the Cards ... if they lose that's fine, the team deserved to experience the Super Bowl after the way they played in the post season

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I always root for the underdog especially if it's their first time in the big game.  And considering how long the Cardinals have been an awful team, I'll root for them.  Besides it's always good to see some other team win that hasn't tasted winning in a long time.

As a Patriot fan and the first 40 years of that franchise with bad owners and bad coaches, they were often called the "Patsies". 

The Steelers are a solid team with good owners and coaching, they'll always be in the hunt.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

yea ozy I was born in Green Bay Wisconsin Ive lived in Wisconsin most of my life and been a packer fan since I can remember it was tough to see them last season they looked pathetic but I'm still a fan I met the hall of fame quarterback Bart Starr at a restaurant and asked him for his autograph he asked for my address and sent me a 8x10 color photo with a nice inscription its hanging on my fridge with magnets,my head tells me steelers but im pulling for the cardinals too smile

LesPaulGuy wrote:

I'm going with 'Zona ... I'm an Eagles fan and was ticked off once again by their performance in the title game ... same as always, play like crap for 3 quarters, dig yourself a whole, then come back to take the lead and then blow it in the last 7-8 minutes ... BUT I do like the 'Zona Cinderella story so I'm going with the Cards ... if they lose that's fine, the team deserved to experience the Super Bowl after the way they played in the post season

I admire your courage in openly admitting you're an Eagles fan....Kudos to you. Admitting it is the first step to recovery. How many more heartbreaking lossses can 1 fan base endure. I feel your pain.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I'm pullin' for the Cards because my neighbor buddy is a huge Steelers fan. Guess I'm just an a$$ that way - a little rivalry and chop busting will make the game more enjoyable.

That said, I really don't have a favorite and I think the Steelers will kill 'em. If I were betting man (and I am), I would give the 7 points and take Pittsburgh.

The commercials will be of more interest and I'll likely be in bed by half-time.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I honestly don't give a rats arse either way. I'm gonna put some $$$ down on the squares deal thingy and hope the numbers match where my initials are inserted..........

I'm slated to play a pre-superbowl brunch gig at the Embassy Suites Hotel just down the road from Raymond James stadium in Tampa, FL. The hospitality industry is booming down here. It's utterly amazing to me how much money people spend to watch a game. I'm not complaining though............ I hope I get the names of the teams right. It is the Pittsburg Pirates and the Arizona Wildcats, right?...;>}

Give everything but up.

I believe you got the Pirates right, but I think theyre playing the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

The Cardinals are the cinderella team of the '08-'09 season.
I gotta root for them.
My New Orleans Saints have ripped out my heart and stomped a mudhole in it since 1967. sad =
There's always next year.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

13 (edited by ozymandias 2009-01-24 02:21:45)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I honestly don't give a rats arse either way. I'm gonna put some $$$ down on the squares deal thingy and hope the numbers match where my initials are inserted..........

I'm slated to play a pre-superbowl brunch gig at the Embassy Suites Hotel just down the road from Raymond James stadium in Tampa, FL. The hospitality industry is booming down here. It's utterly amazing to me how much money people spend to watch a game. I'm not complaining though............ I hope I get the names of the teams right. It is the Pittsburg Pirates and the Arizona Wildcats, right?...;>}

As we were driving around the Largo/Indian Rocks Beach area we saw signs advertising for people to rent rooms or homes for Super Bowl tourists and advertising that they could get $1000+ a day.  YOIKS

Actually, I'm not overly surprised at that.  When we were living in Cooperstown NY for a few years, (My inlaws live just outside of Cooperstown) it was not unheard of for every possible room/hovel/shack to be booked solid for at least a hundred mile radius during Baseball Hall of Fame Induction weekend.  And if somebody from the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox was inducted the crowds were even worse. 

For perspective the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area is a huge metropolitan area with many condo's/hotels and such.  Cooperstown NY is a little touristy backwater town with very few roads leading in and out of it.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I'm pulling for the Cardinals, though I expect Pittsburg to win, Curt Warner played for the St.Louis Rams if I'm not mistaken , and played in the Super bowl there and won, he was in another Super Bowl and lost with someone else. He played over sea's somewhere before that  with Jake Delhome, they were on the same team. I'm from North Carolina but not a Panthers fan, is it to late for for 49ers to get in? I guess so, oh well. Also I think the Cardinals would have had a better chance to win, had they played it this weekend since they are on a roll, I'm afraid having the week off will cool them down, and lessen their chances.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Camaronki you are correct Kurt Warner did play for the St.Louis Rams I found some interesting facts on his career,he played 1 yr with the Giants before comming to the Cardinals smile
Kurt Warner was born on June 22, 1971, in Burlington, Iowa. His early football career included Regis High School and the University of Northern Iowa (UNI). Warner was unable to start at UNI until his senior year, and he responded by winning Gateway Conference Player of the Year. However, Warner was not drafted in the 1994 NFL Draft and he worked at a grocery store until his football career picked up again in 1995.

The Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League signed Warner to a contract in 1995. He played with the Barnstormers through the 1997 season and established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in AFL history. He was so impressive that the St. Louis Rams of the NFL decided to sign him prior to the 1998 season.

Warner appeared in only one game during the 1998 season and attempted only eleven passes. It was in 1999 that Warner put together one of the best seasons for a quarterback in NFL history: 4,353 passing yards, 41 passing touchdowns, NFL MVP, Super Bowl championship, and Super Bowl MVP. Even though he missed five games during the 2000 season, Warner still managed to pass for 3,429 yards and 21 touchdowns. He had another NFL MVP year in 2001 with 4,830 yards and 36 touchdowns, but his numbers have dropped off significantly over the last six seasons of his career. This is due mainly to Warner suffering from nagging injuries that have relegated him to mainly a back-up. After the Rams, Warner spent time with the New York Giants and he currently plays for the Arizona Cardinals. Through the 2006 season, Warner has career totals of 1,717 pass completions, 21,474 passing yards, and 131 touchdowns smile

i gotta go with the cards!

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

It seems like the Cardinals are the sentimental favorite.  Most people love the underdog.  Long time losers, haven't won a significant game in years.  Quarterback who came out of nowhere to win the biggest game of his life....it goes on and on.

The Steelers multiple champions, perennial favorites, playing old school smash mouth football.  I think this is their  7th Super Bowl??   Yet their history before the 70's was pretty similar to the Cardinals.  If I remember correctly.

Gotta go for the underdog Cardinals.  Go Cards...

Badeye .. cool

one caper after another

The cheer leaders first then the Cards because Curt's an old guy.

Bootlegger.

To an uneducated Brit it looks like the Steelers are gonna do it again. Love to see the Cardinals win it though.

geoaguiar wrote:
LesPaulGuy wrote:

I admire your courage in openly admitting you're an Eagles fan....Kudos to you. Admitting it is the first step to recovery. How many more heartbreaking lossses can 1 fan base endure. I feel your pain.

You're not kidding geo ... the more shocking part is I USED to be a Cowboys fan back in the '70s/80's ... but once Jerry Jones bought the team, fired Tom Landry, sent Tony Dorsett packing it ticked me off and I hated them so I figured I grew up in Pa. I might as well root for the Eagles since Philly is 2 hours away

Maybe I should have stayed a Cowboys fan ... at least I would have celebrated a few titles instead of getting my heart ripped out by Donovan McNabbs's crappy play every NFC Title game

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I'm rapidly reaching the point, where I want to scream "Shut the heck up" at all the hype.

PLAY THE GOLDANG GAME ALREADY!!   grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

{end rant}

**ozymandias seeks peace and tranquility in playing some guitar tunes.**

ozymandias wrote:

I'm rapidly reaching the point, where I want to scream "Shut the heck up" at all the hype.

PLAY THE GOLDANG GAME ALREADY!!   grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

{end rant}

**ozymandias seeks peace and tranquility in playing some guitar tunes.**

it is all hype I agree.
And the game is for wimps, got to wear big pads and helmets, lol they should play the real mans game RUGBY a game for men with balls. ( oval ones)...oh yeah american footy has oval balls too lol

I learned the rules of this game years ago to try and like it but I just couldnt get into it.
I do think it is good for technical stuff and stategy but it takes far too long and all the nonsense with it drives me crazy...the cheers leaders, big band names. No offence meant but I think with a lot of american sports they get over excited and try to make it sound exciting but it plainy isnt.
well not to me.
And another thing lol  the superbowl starts at 11pm here. I have work on the Monday morning!!!!

But to all you american football fans, I hope you have a good time if you are there or a good whatever you do with get togethers for hours upon hours.

I went to see the scottish claymores a few times ( I was dragged by an american football playing friend)

have fun and remember it is only a game. ( if only I could believe in saying that when i talk about rangers and celtic playing in the league cup final)

All the best

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It is funny how the National Football League keeps trying to push American Football on European.  The two games played at Wembley stadium attract people, but people who just want to see what it's all about.  I mean, from everything I'v read and heard, Europeans don't give a crap about it.  So I can understand your feelings about it.  So no offense taken and I'v played the game as a teenager.  I do prefer Baseball and Basketball myself.  And I'v played soccer, not interested in watching the game, I'd rather play. 

They want Soccer and Rugby.  Your right it's just a game, I have my favorite teams, but, if they don't win......ok.  If they do win like the Boston Celtics did last years NBA championship, I'm happy, but I keep it in perspective.

Hey upyerkilt.

NFL is the perfect sport to watch while you are ironing. All that stop start means you don't miss anything.

As for the 11pm start - I've tried everything including caffeine overdoses and constant eating but I can't stay awake past the third quarter.