Topic: So far so good thanks to you lot!

Just like to say a big CHEERS to all the folks on here, I don't think you all realise how much help and motivation you give absolute novices like myself.

4 weeks in and I'm astonished how far I'm come in such a short period, I was really expecting it to take about 6 months to get where I am now. 

I've settled into an hour a night practice but I often pick the guitar up and quietly strum with my fingers if I'm bored which is quite often.  10 minutes just practicing scales to warm up the fingers, then 20 minutes practicing open chords (changing from one to another as quickly as possible and also playing slowly and checking for finger positioning) and then 30 minutes on a few songs, for me that balance is about right.  I really need to start on F and B tho!

One problem is that my fingers have already hardened up but the tips are grooved and not flat, this causes a problem because after 20 mins or so the grooves get so deep that I cant get the strings firmly on the frets and this causes a lot of vibration!

Is there anyway around this?

Also are there any finger exercises you can do when not on the guitar to help strengthen and loosen them ready for the F and B?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: So far so good thanks to you lot!

crevs.1972 wrote:

Also are there any finger exercises you can do when not on the guitar to help strengthen and loosen them ready for the F and B?

Hi crevs - Music stores sell a variety of gizmos designed to aid in strengthening your fingers. A cheap, easy way I used to exercise my fingers was using a few of the little binder clips I snagged from work. I kept various sizes in my truck and while driving down the road would squeeze and hold between my thumb and alternating all fingers of my fretting hand.

http://static.flickr.com/2266/2441597509_31b13f9e82.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

It sounds like you may be pressing down too hard.  I have a tendency to do that also.  Try a little lighter press and see if you can still play the sounds clearly.  Just a thought.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Look for a product in first aid supply called NEW SKIN,that and switching to a very well set up Guild 12 string for a week or two seemed to help my big fat fingers lol,also when you sit down to practice warm up first,I'd kind of get into a trip of just rambling thru the chords that I knew till it kind of comes out like a weird kind of music.Then I'd sit down and practice songs off the easy songbooks menu,B chords and much below the 3rd fret still do me a number,to many years logging and injurys make for stiff wrists and fingers. Having a well set up guitar with compatible strings also takes a lot of the work out of it. Hope that this helps you.
                                                                                              George

Squeezing a tennis ball helps too! Doesn't squish like tomatoes!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

A properly set up "Cheap" guitar is easier to play than an expensive guitar set-up poorly. Make sure that your guitar is set up for you and your style of playing. Now try this - pick a chord, any chord - lets say "D".

Form an open "D" chord on your guitar as you normally would and strum. After you have done this remove your hand from the fretboard, shake it out a few times and then reform the open "D" chord BUT place your fingers down VERY lightly. And strum. How is the sound? Does it ring clear? If it does, good, if not then increase your finger pressure slightly and strum again. How does this sound? By doing this you will begin to see just how lightly you need press down on the fretboard to form chords. Pressing down too hard with our fingertips is something all of us do. It take time and practice ot overcome this habit. Keep at it and practice, practice, practice.

Nela

Agree with NELA.  Plus, it takes time to learn to loosen your "deathgrip" on the neck of the guitar.  Between strums you really need to loosen the fret hand so the strings don't cut thru you plus it speeds up transition to the next chord.  This will help reduce finger grooves somewhat.

Hey GROPPS!  Congratulations on having any fingers left to play guitar.  I've known a few loggers, but never any loggers with all their fingers. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude