1 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-02-08 12:37:28)

Topic: Tone Settings

Hi Everyone,

Ok I've bought a Line 6 Spider 3 amp {15 watt} but I'm wondering about tone settings for songs. Does anyone have any idea where I can get the settings for songs, I'm new to electric guitar so I'm kinda lost here. I know it says in the instrustions that you can go to their website to get the tone settings but I can't find it, and if I did I'm guessing it's mostly metal songs, I'm more into classic rock,blues and country, Stones, Zepplin, Allman Bro's, Lynard Skynyrd SRV, any Southern rock. I'm wondering also if in some section or even a new section, people could post tone settings for specific songs, that would be a great help to people just picking up the electric, as well as others who are more advanced, what does anyone else thing? Thanks guys for any help.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Tone Settings

Set your controls at the half way mark and adjust as you like till you get a decent tone .

If what you're playing has been published by guitarworld magazine,they have all the effects listed at the top of their tab. I'm not certain if they have the individual setting for each effect but knowing exactly what effects are used should make it easier to figure out the settings. Check them out at www.guitarworld.com  Hope this helps.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Hi Cameron, it would be nice if tabs gave basic amp settings but I've never come across it.

Part of learning electric is learning how to set your amp for the song. Often once you get the right tone the lick that didn't quite work clicks into place.

With the Stones you're talking semis and Vox amps for the early songs and then Teles and Fender amps for their crunchier 70s sound. Southern rock you are talking Les Pauls and hi-gain amps like Marshalls and Mesas.

Spend plenty of time playing with your Spider, pick an amp, then mess with the gain, cut treble, boost bass etc. Take your guitar volume down low, roll back the tone then repeat. You'll be amazed how many different sounds your guitar can make.

When you get a great tone make a note of the settings but don't get fixated on it. When you play in a band you may want a far more cutting tone than if you were just practising. Learning what to tweak up to cut through the mix is another part of playing electric.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Early on, most people dial up too much distortion. My son has the same Spider and the Marshall sound defaults to almost double the amount of crunch you want for classic rock tones. The insane setting is, well, insane. The effects start out a little over-the-top too. Once you tidy up the factory defaults a bit and resave them, the Spider can be a decent practice amp.

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Ok I've bought a Line 6 Spider 3 amp {15 watt} but I'm wondering about tone settings for songs. Does anyone have any idea where I can get the settings for songs, I'm new to electric guitar so I'm kinda lost here. I know it says in the instrustions that you can go to their website to get the tone settings but I can't find it, and if I did I'm guessing it's mostly metal songs, I'm more into classic rock,blues and country, Stones, Zepplin, Allman Bro's, Lynard Skynyrd SRV, any Southern rock. I'm wondering also if in some section or even a new section, people could post tone settings for specific songs, that would be a great help to people just picking up the electric, as well as others who are more advanced, what does anyone else thing? Thanks guys for any help.

Cam

Hi Cam,
Sounds to me you're looking for that warm, rich, slightly grumblin' overdrivish sort of sound. Without actually seeing your amp and knowing what you're working with, I can't give you solid advice. I bet this will though!  Here's a web site( tone settings) and decent forum designed just for the question you ask and advice you seek.

http://forums.tonesettings.com/

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks Guys,

I knew someone here could lead me in the right direction, I really appreciate the help and I'll check out both websites.

Cam

Cam

Check out the following link on the Line 6 Forum board:

http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?th … p;tstart=0

I've checked out a lot of these settings since I have a Spider 75 ... these are settings other than what are listed in the amp itself ... but they do have presets for genre's (60s, 70s, 80s, etc.)

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Hi Lespaulguy,

Thanks for the help, but to be honest, I've already looked over that site, and I'm just not finding much except for the heavy metal stuff, maybe I'm just overlooking something or haven't learned to navigate it properly yet, but again, I appreciate the help.

Bswyers,

I checked out that site you mentioned but again I can't find the settings, I found the tabs, but as I mentioned to Lespaulguy, maybe I just need to learn to navigate that site, but I really appreciate all the help, and I'll keep toying with my amp.

Cam

It can be a fun project figuring all that out... I would start by using the same guitar...and would set the volume at about half with no tone. Then would set the amp up with a clean tone that sounds good. Then start playing around with your volume, tone, and pickup combinations on guitar. Some of my humbucker pickups will be very clean at lower volume and will pick up a growl as the volume rolls up. Once you find your guitar sounds then go back to the clean settings and start playing with the volumes and settings on the amp... It's amazing how much sound you can find just noodling around...Once you know what the guitar and amp can do you can then start adding effects as needed... hope this helps, jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

http://www.gav1n.co.uk/SpiderIII.htm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle