Re: what guitar is considered to be the best?

bensonp wrote:

Let's look at it this way.  In the price range of 300.00 to 600.00, what are some of the better ones.  I am asking this because I am looking for another.  I am sure we will get a lot of opinions on this, but what do you say?

I assume you are from the USA?

Dont know if you have the Vintage brand out there, if you do give them a look, they make good quality very playable copies of some of the famous names(Les Paul, Fender Strat, Gibson SG etc)
I own a SG copy and a 12 string acoustic made by them and for the money you wont find too much better!

Vintage 12 string, Brunswick Acoustic, (Gordon Giltrap owned) Art and Lutherie, Lag J100,Vintage SG, Paul McCartney bass copy.

I played a RainSong this weekend at a guitar store--it's a carbon fiber guitar, and I hate to say it, but it was the best sounding acoustic I've ever played--hands-down.  About $2,200 worth of great sounding guitar!

As told in one of the many threads I am "blessed"
It all started with a GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO in 1993. I had a friend who was a big man at the airport customs.
I paid that brandnew Studio 500$.
2 years later, I went with a friend to some great music shops, and we tried the higher class models.
Test - procedure: sitting on an amp, all knobs for tone, volume, distortion & clean in the same position.
There was 1 guitar over classing all the others, a PRS Custom 24, and 3 years later in another shop, there was a 6 month old PRS like brandnew, no scratches, nothing and half priced.
It was "my dream guitar", and indeed I earned more than enough as MD thanks to a few specialties:
1) I was well known for making capsules (in fact the pharmacy) to loose weight.
2) I had a laser (50.000$) and I could use it "therapeutical" AND "surgical (minor surgery), since I had the very first laser in my country and at least for 5 months, there was no competion at all, and I became a very skilled user.
3) I am also a "skilled" hypnotist (I don't practice this no longer, but I compare it with riding a bike: you never forget it.
Concerning point 1 & 2 I saw a lot of people, at least 75 patients every week and still growing with 100 patients a week ONLY for 1 & 2. Those people were no "fix" patients they came from everywhere, the record stands on 120km from my office. I GAMBLED and I WON. It is a tiny line, and my collueges here didn't dare to take that step. RESULT: AN ALMOST UNKNOWN JEALOUSY, and for me ??!!..... So, by taking that step, I was really succesful, and I didn't mention my patients: 30/day. I worked as a fool, neglecting all other things, like family, in particular my daughter I DIDN'T TAKE TIME TO SEE HER GROWING UP, my private life was a mess, and I compensated this by "running" away and buying guitars. Add a big dosis luck, like having the occasion to buy a Martin HD-28 for 600$, and a set of Fender Strat 1964, Gibson LP Custom 1968, from people who needed money, and didn't play no longer.
In fact I always had these brands, so it is more difficult to give my opinion. I am not ashamed about my collection, I was simply on the right time and the right moment.
I go a few times a year to a big guitar store, and I played on an few EPIPHONES, and the best guitar was the SG special, the cheapest.
- CAN YOU STILL CALL AN EPIPHONE AS A CHEAP GUITAR? Well, look at the price of a lot of Epiphones. A lot of them are in a price range between 600$ - 900$ now, can you call this cheap?
It is so difficult and I posted a lot topics with decent prices.
My BEST GUITAR EVER IS A DUESENBERG 49er, (they are more expensive ib the USA than in Europe). And as read A GUITAR IS AS GOOD AS HIS PLAYER. I am convinced that Jimmy Page would have an amazing sound too, if he played epiphone.
Last but not least: a lot depends on the amp you have.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I have found my guitar to be the very best.
Absolutely no doubt about it. cool

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

hey tubatooter, what type of guitar would that be? my wife bought me a epiphone ej something or another, and its by far the best guitar ive played on. its a humming bird knockoff, i think

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I tried out an Epiphone Les Paul Zak Wylde this weekend and absolutely fell in love with it ($699) ... who knew a Les Paul would sound great with EMG pick-ups on it ... I found my next axe

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Hi Selso
I was being a smart alec but since you asked, my guitars are all antiques like me.
I love 'em and can sound my best on them which some may judge to be really mediocre.
My arsenal:
1960 Gibson 330, 1975 Yamaha dreadnought acoustic, 1999 Martin Backpacker for travel, 1940 King tuba, 1975 Conn tenor trombone,1960 Olds Ambassador trumpet and four P.A. systems to play them through.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Les Paul Guy. my epiphone was in the 580$ range and it sounds totally SWEET!!!
how well are prs giters made?

The world is only going to get worse!

Usually when I play, my Les Paul is the first thing I pick up but for the past few weeks I've been playing my PRS SE ... the PRS I bought for my light, clean rock tones ... and the more I play it the more I like it specifically for that purpose ... the Les Paul isn't as good in that area IMO

Line6 SpiderIII 75

it's hard to sparate me from my EPI, i want to take it everywhere.

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Usually when I play, my Les Paul is the first thing I pick up but for the past few weeks I've been playing my PRS SE ... the PRS I bought for my light, clean rock tones ... and the more I play it the more I like it specifically for that purpose ... the Les Paul isn't as good in that area IMO

I've been looking at the PRS Mira...played one briefly at a Guitar Show and now trying to figure out how to afford and justify buying one! Over the years I've picked up a little collection of user guitars and don't really have anything to get rid of. One of my favorites is a Peavey Wolfgang...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

The Mira is pretty sweet Jay ... I've never heard of Mira pickups though ... I take it they're not PRS?

Line6 SpiderIII 75

plz, what are PRS?

Paul Reed Smith

Give everything but up.

One cool thing about Fender is that the amps and guitars are
engineered to work together.
Jerry Garcia played an amazing  hand made for Jerry, himself,
with a three pack of Humbuckers. I'm told they are available.
Looks like the back end humbucker was a pair of Fender
single coil and the front two came off a Gibson. But the
sky was the limit for Jerry, and he played through
very powerful systems, if that makes a difference,
I wouldn't know. Still, we learn that his style
called for a solid body, more like a Les Paul than a ES337,
semi hollow, which I happen to have and love. (Similar to what
Bob Weir swore by.) So, hey, it's all relative. Just remember,
you're going to spend a lot of time with whatever you
get. I recommend staying away from the cheap stuff
and avoid the fads. Also, don't forget you can upgrade
electronics (it ain't cheap) but you can't upgrade the
neck and body. Don't overlook G & L, I am told.

Why would i not have heard about PRS, they seem to be a very popular gitar.

I agree with all those who said that the best guitar is the one that is right for you.  I have heard some guitars that I think sound and play bad but you couldn't pry them out of their owners hands.  Because guitar quality is so subjective, I wouldn't recommend one over the other.  However, I just bought a Tele Highway One and I wouldn't give it up for anything.  I just love the sound and the smooth action on the neck and fretboard.  Great guitar for me.

Gibson sg.

It REALLY depends on the player I can not stress enough on how the playinf style effects what kind of guitar people like.
I personally play a Schecter just because it was the best guitar I could find in my price range

but I mean person 1's ideal guitar could be a $2000 ibanez steve vai custom
and person 2's ideal guitar could be a $90 squire from costco

Hi ,,found out from book at librar I have a pretty unuque  guitar......its a 1956 chet atkins  signature burnt orange.....appraised  around $6k!!  wow..

Wow!  What guitar is considered to be the best... Wow! I really think that your decisions will be based entirely on your age and your experience level.  I recently traded my prized 78 cherry burst Les Paul Deluxe for a 1992 J-200.  I consider it quite possibly the best deal I've ever made.   Some friends have told me that I was crazy to do this.  I tell them, "play the J-200 then come back and talk to me."  So many things about guitars are so subjective.  The best Fender that I've ever played was made in Japan.  One of the worst Fenders I've ever played was made in USA. This is not to say that I don't love American Fenders. I do. I also love K. Yairi Electric guitars but the the son-of-a-***** doesn't make but one every ten years or so.. Right now I'm at this point where I'm really impressed with the Godin 5th Ave Kingpin.  I'm having a great time with mine.  Will anything ever beat the sound and playability of an early 80's Ovation model 1112? Doubtful. Will metal heads ever trade their Jacksons for an L-7? Will a Martin freak ever strum a Rainsong and switch sides?   This question that you ask is too hard to answer.  At some point, I imagine that someone will build a 16" White Falcon with an L. R. Baggs acoustic bridge with a Bigsby and a switchable choice between Dime Bag pick-ups, Filter-trons, Alumitones, Texas Specials and Joe Barden's with an Ibanez neck profile that is reminiscent of a Gibson melody maker.  Until then, like me, you're going to have to try a bunch of 'em.  Keep the ones you like. There's a lot to choose from and thats part of the fun.

Now available in 5G !

gitaardocphil wrote:

3) I am also a "skilled" hypnotist (I don't practice this no longer, but I compare it with riding a bike: you never forget it.

That's cool doc! Think you could hypnotise me into being a better guitarist?? smile I've seen people turned into dogs and such, Why not a Guitar God lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

i think the best guitar is the guitar the YOU think is best, mabey i like to play on al 5000 dollar gibson les paul but i dont get the feel with it, but when i play on a 400dollar ibanez i do get the feel with it, of couse the price stand for qualitty but in the end You are the one that is gotta be playing on it:). When i bought my first guitar i could already play some chords and stuff but the F (major) chord didn't worked for me, when i was trying the guitar it worked to get the F sound nice. I decited to buy that guitar and i dont regred it since this day.

greets thomas jansen

ps
srry for my bad english (im from holland so english isnt my first language)

anyway

if you want to buy an new guitar try some different guitars and then decide witch one will do the job for you;)

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

Definitely PRS custom 24!  Very high quality but very expensive! Peace, Shawn

Blues before sunrise!
[url=http://www.fretjammer.com]www.fretjammer.com[/url] and online jamming community!

I haven't heard any metioned but i have a G&L Legacy Special U.S. that I feel is right up there with some of the best!

Later, Wayne P